Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My instrumental hard rock album

Options
  • 28-07-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

Anyone want to comment on some of these songs. Still looking for a vocalist but these are the songs so far. Lots of big guitar riffs, but some ballads and multi-parters!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/primal100/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

You need to work on keeping your playing in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JohnnyLayne

ColmDawson wrote: »
    You need to work on keeping your playing in time.

True Enough! But Theres Some Tasty Riffs There...
    Had A Bit Of A Jam Along.....Keep It Up Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I won't comment on the music because it's always depends on what the listener likes.. not exactly my taste, but not bad either :)

I'll focus on the negatives.. dont take that as criticism, look at it as areas you could focus on :) it's not meant to insult your or your music, just give some pointers.

It's badly recorded.. not your fault, I will assume you don't have much recording equipment.. but the drums are very distant, tinny and basically non existant (as is also the bass).. listen to your favourite albums and compare the difference in drums and bass with yours..

Regarding your guitar playing.. timing is what jumps out over and over again.. some missed chords and timing speeding up out of synch with drums (.27 and .41 in Wrong Side of the City jump out.. and 2 mistakes so early in a track will have most people turning off).. There were plenty of other missed chords later on also..

Song Length - Wrong Side of the City is 9 mins long.. waay to long and (sorry but) boring (it does miss some vocals to tie it together), but for something that long it doesnt take the listener on a journey it was just a bunch of riffs playing far to long.. dig out some 9 mins songs and listen to how they build stories, or contrasting tempos etc..its a lot of time to do something with...

I know it's Wrong but... the solo just made me turn off at about .33.. missed notes, screechy and stuttering play.. It sounds like you can't play solo's that fast yet.. so don't try, use melodies instead.

I gave The Search a quick listen to.. same issues.. sounds like missed notes at .18 and then lots at 1.41 (i think)..

The tunes are good, the playing isnt bad.. but i think you need to focus on making sure the execution is immaculate.. the mistakes draw too much attention away from the songs..

Keep it up though :) Rome wasn't build in a day..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Welease wrote: »
    Song Length - Wrong Side of the City is 9 mins long.. waay to long and (sorry but) boring (it does miss some vocals to tie it together), but for something that long it doesnt take the listener on a journey it was just a bunch of riffs playing far to long.. dig out some 9 mins songs and listen to how they build stories, or contrasting tempos etc..its a lot of time to do something with...

Yeah I know that and lots of my favourite songs are very long. If you listen to The Search its more in line with what you are referring to.

One of the reasons Wrong Side Of The City is long is because I wrote the intro as an intro to the album as well, and it takes up a couple of minutes. Although when I first put it altogether I thought it was a 6 minute song. Wasn't until I recorded it that I realised how long it was. So I didn't set out to write an epic, it just ended up that way and I'm reluctant to change it.

Thanks for your input. These demos are very rough (especially, 3,5,6 and 8 which were recorded a couple of years ago). I'm gonna take four songs and record a proper demo with vocals in a studio. Just for the craic. Probably Wrong Side Of The City, God-Shaped Hole, You Won't Get Away With This and one other rocker I'm still working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

I agree with what the others said. Quite creative and good ideas. I really liked that riff outta God-Shaped Hole and The Search was going well until the distortion came in (although I liked the idea) then there were a few mistakes that made me cringe a little.
    I think you guys just need to work on a few songs at a time and get a few perfected before moving on and definitely before recording. That said if you perfect the material you have there and get it properly recorded I'd imagine it would be alot of people cup of tea. I'd sit through an album or a gig no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

its not good in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 42 thered

i think its pretty good just spend a little more time on it :D

Advertisement