Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was this racism by Radio 1's sport commentator?

• 28-07-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

About 7pm tonight Greg Allen reported on Jason Smyth's race in the European athletics championships

He referred to another athlete as the first caucasian

Was this racist?

If it was a traveller would he say the first traveller?

Who cares whether you are black or white? Why does that matter or come into it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sprinting is dominated by black athletes. I didn't hear it but I imagine he was referring to the white French athlete who has been referred to as the fastest white man on earth.

Nothing to see here folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

About 7pm tonight Greg Allen reported on Jason Smyth's race in the European athletics championships

Was this racist?

In my opinion it wasn't racist at all. Just stating a fact. Like saying that Venus William was the first black woman to win wimbledon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not racist, stating a fact. When Billy Joe Saunders qualified for British Olympic team, a great deal was made about his Gypsy roots, as shown here. That wasn't racist, again, stating a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Was this racist?

joey joe joyce - the first traveler to represent Ireland in sprinting at the olympics... if this had been the occurrence - no it wouldn't be racist

mohamed abujahh - the first muslim to play for england - no it's not racist

seriously - how politically correct are you trying to be.. like ffs...

how is stating a fact being racist - like seriously - sit down and think about it for a while because you obviously are either just "trying" to stir sh*t.. and your attempt is pretty terrible.. find a better racist story if you want to get attention for your love of multiculturalism etc etc etc - because this story is in no way at all racist...

just you trying to be uber politically correct to look like an angel or something along those lines...

\rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bit like boxings "great white hope!".

Harmless enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Aidric wrote: »
    Sprinting is dominated by black athletes. I didn't hear it but I imagine he was referring to the white French athlete who has been referred to as the fastest white man on earth.

Nothing to see here folks.
    Agreed. I'd say it's probably fact that black men are (statistically anyway) faster competitive runners and probably would have a much higher win tally than white men. Not racist at all just stating fact.

Advertisement