Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord not returning full deposit

Options
  • 28-07-2010 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I realise this isn't the biggest problem here, and the sum of money in question isn't huge (£60 sterling) but it's still something I'm a bit annoyed about.

Basically, shared a 2 bedroom apartment with a friend from America in Belfast for the past academic year. We moved in last August, and our lease it up in 3 days (I've moved out nearly 2 months at this stage though as college is finished, and I've paid up all my rent).

Now I know it's not a big ask and any half responsible tenant will look after a house, but we really were no problem to the landlord at all over the past 12 months. We paid our rent in cash, as he preferred it despite the fact that he would often say "I'll be round Monday" and not show up until Thursday/Friday. It's fair to say we had more hassle from him than he had from us (i.e. having to chase him up over a few things during the year). That's not to say he was being a jerk or anything, he was pretty dead on and we never had any major hassle with him.

Anyway, I went back up last weekend to give the place a tidy with my flatmate before he went back home. He sent me a text this morning (he left today) saying that the landlord is keeping £60 from the £550 deposit (£275 each) as the inside of the oven needs to be cleaned. Now we cleaned that apartment from top to bottom, spent an entire weekend doing it. We even cleaned things that were not clean before we moved in (like the inside glass panel of the oven itself which had to be removed). My flatmate even cleaned the inside of the oven, but obviously the landlord is not happy with it. Can he really take £60 (thats over €70) for such a small problem? Everything else is spotless, and if Im being honest, we always had a feeling that no matter how clean we had the place, he would find something to keep some of our deposit (he strikes us as quite dodgy, guess you just had to deal with him to understand). Also, if I do some form of appeal, what can I do about it as it is in Belfast? I assume the likes of threshold cant do anything for me up there!

I know it's not a lot of money, but I have to head back up for a few days for repeat exams soon and that £60 would pay for the return bus journey for example!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

This is a site from the Republic of Ireland - not many of us will know the UK renting regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I've a similar problem with an Irish landlord - deducted €40 for "General Cleaning" - thought this wasn't allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

testicle wrote: »
    I've a similar problem with an Irish landlord - deducted €40 for "General Cleaning" - thought this wasn't allowed?

It isn't allowed, I'd query this with him/her. "General Cleaning" is most certainly not part of normal wear & tear and he/she has no right to deduct anything for it.

Advertisement