Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Connolly Heron shows Enda Kenny around GPO battlefield site

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

James Connolly Heron, grandson of 1916 leader James Connolly, brings Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny on a tour of the last fight of the 1916 garrison.

On on July 28, 2010 Jim showed the route of the troops who fought their way from the GPO through the lanes to Moore Street, carrying James Connolly on a stretcher under machine gun fire through the streets of Dublin city centre.

It is a fascinating on-the-spot guide to the gunfight through this historic battlefield - through Moore Lane and to the terrace in Moore Street where the Volunteers and Citizen Army tunnelled their way from house to house, holding councils of war and sending out sortie parties as they went.

This battlefield trail is now proposed to be largely demolished under a plan for a giant mall, if Dubliners and Irish people at home and abroad don't get the plan revised.

Moore Lane will be roofed over as a walkway through the mall, while the houses where the 1916 leaders fought, and finally surrendered because British fire was cutting down civilians in the streets and houses, are to be gutted, only a facade left in place.

All of the signatories of the Proclamation of Independence other than Thomas MacDonagh and Eamonn Ceannt were here in 1916; this is where The O'Rahilly fell, and where the Rising of 1916 ended - and the War of Independence began.

Link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid... - Save 16 Moore Street Facebook page

I've had to break this into three parts - YouTube didn't like the size of the full file - but the second and third part will be available under the same title, with 2 and 3 instead of 1 following the title.

That is excellent - watching it now - thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Very interesting and pointed that Enda Kenny has been chosen and given a demonstration, with a view to saving this extremely important historical area. Where are FF, the soldiers of destiny, the party of mammon?

Please God Fine Gael will take note of this when and if they replace FF after the next election. All the worst destruction and dereliction of our lovely historical city happened under FF governments. At least it's not too late to save what is left of this valuable area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

paddyland wrote: »
    Where are FF, the soldiers of destiny, the party of mammon?

Please God Fine Gael will take note of this when and if they replace FF after the next election. All the worst destruction and dereliction of our lovely historical city happened under FF governments. At least it's not too late to save what is left of this valuable area.

To the best of my knowledge FF/Greens & specifically the Minister for Heritage John Gormley (who you would expect to show an interest) have consistently refused to even meet with the Save 16 Moore St Campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

John Gormley met a group of descendants of the signatories, and other interested parties, and listened with interest to the presentation; the decision is on his table at the moment...

Enda Kenny said after the tour: "The Government needs to protect 1916 and War of Independence historical sites"

http://www.finegael.org/news/a/3589/article/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Great thread Qualitymark. Thanks much for the links.

I have a question. Did some of the GPO fighters come out on the Princes St side and cut along the arcade into Henry St? When I was a very young child my grandfather - who lived through it all - used to point this out to me as we walked through the arcade...anyone know about this?

• Advertisement

Asked, and got this reply: "Volunteers tunnelled their way from rere gpo up as far as arnotts - not sure about the arcade. its not mentioned as such in
    accounts. wounded evacuated vis princes st but went via williams lane
    into abbey st on towards british barricade in liffey st and then to
    jervis st hospital.

The third video cuts off before the end. It ends in mid sentence with James Connolly Heron saying something about civilian deaths on the streets there and Pearse's decision to surrender. Is there much more to see?

Sorry about that, my camera flashed up a sign saying "card full". My first attempt at a video, as you can see from the fact that I assumed the picture would straighten up when I put the camera sideways, as it does when you're looking at pictures you've already taken :o

He continued on through the surrender, the wounded, including his great-grandfather, being brought and placed outside the houses, The O'Rahilly being left dying for 12 hours where he lay in his blood, the troops marching out in full order and going around to lay down their arms, then being brought to the grounds of the Rotunda, where there was some disgraceful treatment (Mac Diarmada's walking cane being taken away while he was mocked as a cripple, the elderly Clarke being forced to strip and marched up and down before his men...)

Sorry about that, my camera flashed up a sign saying "card full". My first attempt at a video, as you can see from the fact that I assumed the picture would straighten up when I put the camera sideways, as it does when you're looking at pictures you've already taken :o

He continued on through the surrender, the wounded, including his great-grandfather, being brought and placed outside the houses, The O'Rahilly being left dying for 12 hours where he lay in his blood, the troops marching out in full order and going around to lay down their arms, then being brought to the grounds of the Rotunda, where there was some disgraceful treatment (Mac Diarmada's walking cane being taken away while he was mocked as a cripple, the elderly Clarke being forced to strip and marched up and down before his men...)

Thanks for filling this in - great job nonetheless, especially for a first attempt with video. I've watched it all a few times and it's really fascinating.

Thank you, MarchDub. I *love* my camera, bought in Japan, a little gold Canon Ixy. That morning at the screech of dawn (7.30) I connected the camera to the computer to take off the photos that were already on its card, but it wouldn't show up. So I took off as many as I could manually - but there were family occasion photos that I had to keep.

It was only when I got home that I realised you have to put the card into a card reader - the camera doesn't connect directly. Duh!

• Advertisement

Thank you, MarchDub. I *love* my camera, bought in Japan, a little gold Canon Ixy. That morning at the screech of dawn (7.30) I connected the camera to the computer to take off the photos that were already on its card, but it wouldn't show up. So I took off as many as I could manually - but there were family occasion photos that I had to keep.

It was only when I got home that I realised you have to put the card into a card reader - the camera doesn't connect directly. Duh!

Ah Modern technology - believe me, I know the feeling.

Back to topic - what is your gut feeling about Enda Kenny's response? Do you think that action will be taken to preserve what is left of the 1916 sites? Any chance that FF will come around to this view what with 2016 coming along?

My gut feeling about Enda Kenny's response was absolutely positive - read what he said himself:
    "Dublin city centre has a rich and unique cultural link with the events that led to the founding of an independent Irish State. It is a great shame that many of the sites that staged the events that left a special legacy to all Irish people are left dilapidated and virtually ignored or unknown to most Irish people and to visiting tourists.

"The buildings with a direct link to the 1916 rebellion and the following War of Independence are a precious and finite resource which hold a lasting cultural significance in an ever-developing Dublin. By all means these buildings should be reused to breathe new life in to the area, as long as the architectural and cultural significance of the buildings and their environs are protected.

"Instead of being a passive bystander in disrespectful development, the Government should be taking a more proactive role in protecting and promoting areas of unique historical interest in the city centre. The Ministers of Environment and Tourism should be directing their agencies to better exploit all of Dublin's historic buildings for all Irish people and especially for tourists eager to learn about our history.

"Perhaps better valuing what's there already in the development of a special 1916 Quarter would be a better tribute for the centenary in 2016 than building a new 'showcase' development."

If you could take a few moments and write to your local TDs, and cc your letter to the Taoiseach, that would be a great help in saving this quarter.

Advertisement