Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New PC - Windows 7 - Broadband speed dropped to 17KB/sec - yes KB/sec!

• 28-07-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Bought the new Aldi pc - everything going fine with it until I try to download a 5meg file and realise the net is crawling - it has built in wireless n and I am at a complete loss - 17KB/sec..:eek:

Any pointers please!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

mega pissed off. brought pc back to factory state and best I could get was 100kb/sec on a 30 meg UPC connection. Having spend a couple of hours uninstalling crap and installing all my programs and now back to square 1. Then I install my old wireless N usb dongle and getting full speed.

Goddam that built in wireless n wifi adaptor - it had up to date drivers and "excellent" reception.

anyone else with the Aldi pc with that problem? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

had you any firewall installed?

is your router firewall on?

is your router N capable, and if so what are it's broadcast settings? i.e. b/g/n

Adam wrote: »
    had you any firewall installed?

is your router firewall on?

is your router N capable, and if so what are it's broadcast settings? i.e. b/g/n

Hi Adam. Yes the router is an N and I haven't changed the settings though not at home at moment to check.

I don't think that is the problem though as my old wifi dongle is working fine and it's only the built in wifi that has the problem.

edit - can there be settings on the internal wifi adaptor itself that can be changed? Can't see any options in control panel...

back home - router is set to wpa/wpa2 mixed mode - could that impact? Router appears to be in n/g/b mode though no options to change (buffalo airstation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

Hi Adam. Yes the router is an N and I haven't changed the settings though not at home at moment to check.

I don't think that is the problem though as my old wifi dongle is working fine and it's only the built in wifi that has the problem.

edit - can there be settings on the internal wifi adaptor itself that can be changed? Can't see any options in control panel...

back home - router is set to wpa/wpa2 mixed mode - could that impact? Router appears to be in n/g/b mode though no options to change (buffalo airstation)

The chances are that the onboard adaptor is either faulty or the antenna is almost completely disconnected.

The security scheme you are using won't significantly effect throughput.

If you have the latest driver for the card and you are sure it is the right driver that's all I can suggest.

I did however once update a wireless driver and it kill throughput only to find it wasn't the right one.

Hope this helps :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is it posssible for you to connect to your moden via the yellow ethernet cable?
    If so, do that and after 30 to 60 seconds, retest your speed.

If the speed increases, it might be indicative that its a wireless problem.
    If its the same it might be indicating that its either the new internal adapter or a modem problem so.... if possible to define between those latter two...
    -> go see if you can find a another laptop/pc and see is there similar speed problems with that system.

If the other system gets good speed wirelessly, its your laptop at fault.
    If the other system gets bad similar slow speeds, its your modem/net that is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 shaneny

Hi podgeandrodge,

I use Ubuntu linux, but I think the problem mitght be that you have IPv6 enabled, google "Disabling IPv6 on Windows 7" and you should find something.

jpl888 wrote: »
    The chances are that the onboard adaptor is either faulty or the antenna is almost completely disconnected.

The security scheme you are using won't significantly effect throughput.

If you have the latest driver for the card and you are sure it is the right driver that's all I can suggest.

I did however once update a wireless driver and it kill throughput only to find it wasn't the right one.

Hope this helps :)

Hi jp, driver up to date, fastest speed I've got is 100kb/sec. I've gone back to using my own usb wireless n adaptor and am getting full speeds so you are probably right in saying the onboard adaptor is screwed. Thanks.

Biggins wrote: »
    Is it posssible for you to connect to your moden via the yellow ethernet cable?
    If so, do that and after 30 to 60 seconds, retest your speed.

If the speed increases, it might be indicative that its a wireless problem.
    If its the same it might be indicating that its either the new internal adapter or a modem problem so.... if possible to define between those latter two...
    -> go see if you can find a another laptop/pc and see is there similar speed problems with that system.

If the other system gets good speed wirelessly, its your laptop at fault.
    If the other system gets bad similar slow speeds, its your modem/net that is the problem.

Hi Biggins, as my own wireless n usb adaptor is working with full speeds I think it's fair to assume that the onboard one is caput. Thanks.

shaneny wrote: »
    Hi podgeandrodge,

I use Ubuntu linux, but I think the problem mitght be that you have IPv6 enabled, google "Disabling IPv6 on Windows 7" and you should find something.

Hi shaneny, as I've got things working now I'll pass on that for now but thanks!

Advertisement