Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove in a fireplace

• 28-07-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

I am building a house and plan on putting a stove in the fireplacein the front room. The question i have is this... do i need to plaster the inside of the fireplace with a special plaster? What i am affraid of is the heat from the stove cracking the plaster.

Set up like this but plaster instead of brick

country-6-home.jpg

any input greatfully recieved

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Aside from the issue of cracking plaster, you will lose a lot of heat - that will be absorbed into the walls. You should give serious consideration to having that stove further forward - into the room - so that the heat radiates outwards into the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

I would put the stove out into the room rather than having it set into the fire place. This way you will have more heat. If it sits into the fire place then it is almost like having a normal fire, which is pointless. also remember that building regs state (from what i remember) that if you sit the stove out in the open on the hearth then the hearth must extend 300mm out from the front of the stove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

OK, i guess i need to have the stove in front of the fireplace so it kicks out a bit more heat but i still do not know what i need to do with the plaster, will it crack with the heat or do i need to use something else?

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    We built about 18months ago and have a stove set back into a fireplace..
    the stove is about 2/3 back into the opening as it's a large stove with high boiler BTU output.. We also decided on this for asthetics and safety as it's easier guarded when hot..

Our room is plasterboard and skimmed but around the stove we did a sand/cement plaster for the same reason..

The plasterers couldn't guarentee that even with fireproof boards there would be no cracking...

My advice is to leave a decent opening, particularly on top of the stove as this lets more air circulate and gets the heat out.. WE're more than happy with ours and I love the "retrofitted" look it gives..

Advertisement