Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog swimming in a river?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how people manage to get a dog to swim in a river?
    My pooch isn't good at all on recall, selective hearing I think.

So do I keep him on a lead when he goes in?

Just something I want to try to get him into to break up the walks & see if he likes it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Does he fetch? Try throwing a stick into the river, used to work for me. :) Most dogs love the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Yeah he does but I'm afraid he might try to fetch a duck along with the stick!

Do you keep yours on a lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Try and get him to play fetch in the shallows first to get used to the feel of it. Somewhere were he doesn't have to paddle and where there is not much of a current. Then gradually get deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well for starters work on the recall because if he's anything like our guy once you get him in he won't come out unless you call him! :)
    Our guy LOVES sticks and water but he was afriad to go in the river in our park!! I collected loads of sticks and then brought him to the edge and dropped them closer and closer to the egde and eventually in the water until he went in. I then fired them out further and further and he went after them lol - it's so funny when they're actually swimming with their nose up in the air -all they need is a gingerbread man standing on it lol :D
    Don't worry about the ducks - they'll fly away if he gets too close -though that said there's loads of ducklings in the river in our park so just make sure there's none where you're letting him in!
    Our guy cut his paw in the river 5 weeks ago and it's still healing - he couldn't be off the lead for 4 weeks so I'm still at odds about letting him in again - he didn't give me a choice this morning when he decided to jump in thou lol. :pac:
    Also our guy would be off the lead when he's in the river - I don't want to be in there with him :pac:

EDIT - Just to add - if he has any dog buddies that swim it might make him more interested - the day I finally got our guy in was after his buddy was splashing around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My dog loves the water, she will always fetch the stick for me... At first she had no interest in the water, till she hit 7 months.

Even if there are other dogs around, she is more interested in the stick in the water..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Just wondering how people manage to get a dog to swim in a river?
    My pooch isn't good at all on recall, selective hearing I think.

So do I keep him on a lead when he goes in?

Just something I want to try to get him into to break up the walks & see if he likes it.

What breed is it?

syklops wrote: »
    What breed is it?

Lab x, we think :D.

There's a few breeds in him but he looks like a lab. Very energetic but can be silly at times which is why I'd worry about letting him off the lead.
    When we are out walking he has to splash in every puddle we meet so I'd say he will enjoy the water.

I was thinking of getting a lunge rope but then I'd be worried if he got caught in it by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One of mine loves the water. I'm afraid I can't offer any tips on getting dogs in because she never needed encouragement. I keep her on lead because otherwise she'll go after swans (talk about punching above your weight!).

My other one will go in after prey/food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

How about just dropping his (cheap) lead and seeing what he does? I always leave a lead on my springer so I can catch him easily (he has many issues) but he gets the freedom to run around.

If he needs encouragement use a toy he likes and see if he'll fetch it from the river, but be prepared to get wet to get it yourself if he won't :D

I ended up wearing shorts and sandals and walking into the river to get my guys in but now they love it and I can't get them out :rolleyes:

How about just dropping his (cheap) lead and seeing what he does? I always leave a lead on my springer so I can catch him easily (he has many issues) but he gets the freedom to run around.

If he needs encouragement use a toy he likes and see if he'll fetch it from the river, but be prepared to get wet to get it yourself if he won't :D

I ended up wearing shorts and sandals and walking into the river to get my guys in but now they love it and I can't get them out :rolleyes:

Yeah I might actually try leaving the lead on, I have a canvas one that would be ideal.

I found a nice spot in the river that isn't too deep (should I need to take a paddle myself!) & seems quite enough, no ducks, swans etc.

I think we'll have our first outting over the weekend so I'll let everyone know how we get on.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement