Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

encryption on memory stick?

• 28-07-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to have have encryption on a memory stick that will work on pc and mac?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Yep.
    There's an open source encryption program called TrueCrypt which runs on Windows and the Mac.

TrueCrypt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

so could i encrypt stuff on my pc eg passwords, bookmarks and then open them on my friends mac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Bob Z wrote: »
    so could i encrypt stuff on my pc eg passwords, bookmarks and then open them on my friends mac?

Yes using truecrypt it is quite easy to create a encrypted usb key that is usable on pc, mac and linux.

Are these passwords and bookmarks stored in plain text files before they are encrypted?

You should also know that once the usb key is mounted and decrypted the files are readable and exploitable. Just because your friend is using a mac does not mean that his/her machine has not already been rooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

hello932 wrote: »

You should also know that once the usb key is mounted and decrypted the files are readable and exploitable. Just because your friend is using a mac does not mean that his/her machine has not already been rooted.

So what does that if its exploitable? it can be hacked? what does rooted mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

WE use these in work.
    really secure bit aof a pain to set up etc but that's the price of security
    Plus you cant make the USB drive bootable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement