Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backdate xp drivers to work with win98SE

• 28-07-2010 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have an asus eeepc 4G (old I know) that I want to install win98SE on because the ~300MB install is a lot less than XP's ~2GB (also after a few updates/patches etc the 4GB SSD in the eeepc runs out of space for anything else). The only problem is that the hardware in the eeepc is newer than win98 recognises so it's coming up with a few IRQ conflicts until I can produce drivers for the hardware and asus only have XP drivers on their site.

what I want to do is take the XP drivers, open them in a {C++ viewer??}, copy/paste the instructions data of the driver into a win98 compatible .dll/.sys/.vxd whatever. Is this possible?? how/where do I start? what program(s) do I need?

btw before you comment:
    1) the 4G SSD is soldered to the mainboard of the eeepc so i can't just replace it with a larger capacity drive.

2) I am not inciting software piracy, I own the GENUINE windows98SE cd and just want to add driver support for win98 to MY eeepc only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering#Legality
    Reverse engineering software or hardware systems which is done for the purposes of interoperability (for example, to support undocumented file formats or undocumented hardware peripherals) is mostly believed to be legal, though patent owners often contest this and attempt to stifle any reverse engineering of their products for any reason.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

google tiny xp

edit: the latest version (rev 10) includes a version called micro xp also, extremely small, only takes 221Mb of HDD space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

that I want to install win98SE on because the ~300MB install is a lot less than XP's ~2GB (also after a few updates/patches etc the 4GB SSD in the eeepc runs out of space for anything else)

Is the only reason that you wish to put 98SE on it (as opposed to XP), is because it takes up less hard disk space...

Can you post the full spec of the PC. I'm assuming that if it's as old as you say, RAM and processor are going to be an issue as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sparkly1982

Have you thought about a slimline Linux distro? Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux should be a lot smaller and less difficult to get running properly than Windows 98, I'd have thought. There's Ubutu Netbook Edition too, and Jolicloud has just gone to version 1.0

Advertisement