Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLS All-Star XI v Manchester United Match Thread

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FatherTed wrote: »
    While it was nice to win and score a few goals, we must remember that we were playing a squad who have NEVER played together. I'm not bashing MLS at all, we could have played the best XI from the bundesliga or serie A and gotten the same result.

I am excited about the kids though (hope that doesn't make sound like a pedo :p) All the goals last night same from players 22 and younger. I'm not a transfer muppet, I prefer to develop our talent.

While i agree that all star teams are not something to base form on given that they don't play together - The MLS All Star side in the last few years have beaten Chelsea, Fulham, West Ham and Celtin, while drawing 1-1 with Everton but losing on penalties. Their record is very good in these games - so the 5-2 win over them (while still just a friendly) should not be discounted.

Chelsea's starting line up in the game they lost (granted, 4 years ago)

Cudicini

Bridge
    Ferreira
    Gerimi
    Terry

Ballack
    Lampard
    Essien
    Wright-Phillips

Shevchenko
    Drogba.

That is a very strong chelsea line up, and they lost. The MLS All Star sides have shown themselves to be no pushovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

While i agree that all star teams are not something to base form on given that they don't play together - The MLS All Star side in the last few years have beaten Chelsea, Fulham, West Ham and Celtin, while drawing 1-1 with Everton but losing on penalties. Their record is very good in these games - so the 5-2 win over them (while still just a friendly) should not be discounted.

Chelsea's starting line up in the game they lost (granted, 4 years ago)

Cudicini

Bridge
    Ferreira
    Gerimi
    Terry

Ballack
    Lampard
    Essien
    Wright-Phillips

Shevchenko
    Drogba.

That is a very strong chelsea line up, and they lost. The MLS All Star sides have shown themselves to be no pushovers.

Yeah the commentators keep pushing that point that they'd never played together before and only had a few days training.

One thing, fair play to Landon Donavon. He'd only played a match the night before in their Champions League and took a flight straight out to be able to play in this game. Wonder if he's trying to make sure he's in the shop window.

Yeah the commentators keep pushing that point that they'd never played together before and only had a few days training.

One thing, fair play to Landon Donavon. He'd only played a match the night before in their Champions League and took a flight straight out to be able to play in this game. Wonder if he's trying to make sure he's in the shop window.

there were a few players that played the previous night and came on as subs in the game last night.

The All Star game (and team) is a big deal over there.

Would love to see something like that in the PL - in place of the Community Shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

watched the game there earlier, 2 observations:

rafael needs to hit the threadmill
    evans got cleaned by angel, not good

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robbeardsley

Worried about the defence though, we have looked very poor on crosses and set pieces on this tour, which is normally something we are very good at. Hopefully it is just some pre-season rustiness and we are back on form for the start of the season

I blame the fact were missing Vidic and Rio. Add to that the height of Fabio and Rafael compared to other missing players that are good at defending set pieces like Carrick and Berba

And I really don't trust Brown

Would love to see something like that in the PL - in place of the Community Shield.

great idea - who would they play though?
    a world super 11, the current wc holders, a league of ireland 11

conno16 wrote: »
    great idea - who would they play though?
    a world super 11, the current wc holders, a league of ireland 11

South vs Mid/North England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

London v the rest?

South vs Mid/North England.

nonsensical
    think again

baz2009 wrote: »
    London v the rest?

you taking the p*ss man?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

you taking the p*ss man?

Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Fulham and West Ham(I probably missed one) would make a fairly decent team.

Could do United/City v the rest, but I would be severly torn.:pac:

no
    the concept has to be whereby the epl all-stars (a selection of 16 top performing players) take on another nation or club

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

no
    the concept has to be whereby the epl all-stars (a selection of 16 top performing players) take on another nation or club

How about taking the best performing irish players organise them into sort sort of team, same with England, Italy, Spain etc and organise some sort of competition between them. could work ?

The yanks need all star games for their sports because their main sports lack an international aspect to it. For sawker club sides its totally unnecessary imo.

no

says fcuking who? You? Really, you don't make the rules.

thankfully either do you

thankfully either do you
    I'm not the one arrogantly dictating terms.

that fella ricketts that was in goals for the mls, was he the bloke playing for bolton a few years ago. think he broke into the english squad under steve mcclaren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

that fella ricketts that was in goals for the mls, was he the bloke playing for bolton a few years ago. think he broke into the english squad under steve mcclaren

Yes.

He has converted from a striker to a goalkeeper and changed his first name since though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No, he played for Bradford though.

The fella you are thinking of is Michael Ricketts, a striker, and widely considered to be the worst ever England cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Yes.

He has converted from a striker to a goalkeeper and changed his first name since though.

I nearly choked at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes.

Hehe, excellent.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Yes.

best post on here in a long time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

conno16.

gone for 2 weeks.

you'll be back just in time for the new season to start; please review your posting style.

now back on topic, no more talk of him here, or in the superthread please...

No more talk of who:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

eagle eye wrote: »
    No more talk of who:confused:

i don't know if you're taking the p*ss, but threads have generally gone OT with regards his posting.

i was just asking people to refrain from doing that.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    i don't know if you're taking the p*ss, but threads have generally gone OT with regards his posting.

i was just asking people to refrain from doing that.
    Oh, sorry I'm slow today.:o

I was thinking there was some player we couldn't talk about but I get it now, no talk of the member you just banned.

Apologies, I wasn't attempting to mess around at all. Just looked back at his posts to see who the player was and the only name I could see was the Ricketts lad.

*gonna have buy a red bull or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Yes.

ty sir, brilliant post :D

Advertisement