Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critical Mass Dublin July 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I may be shot down for this, but would it not be better to not piss off motorists trying to get home on a bank holiday weekend. Raise awareness of cyclists by enraging motorists. (Im cyclist btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What is this "critical mass"?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Stick it to the man! Yeah! You go girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 One cyclist in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Looks like you had a great turnout last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Hmmm...

A lion cub bike ninja holding bike over its head.

Floral/green imagery all on a background of bikes all of which are greasy side up.

For something that is a dead cert to royally p!ss off motorists on a bank holiday Friday. At rush hour.

This could only bode well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I remember a detailed thread about CM we had earlier in the year. I really struggled to understand exactly what the desired result was other than "sticking it to the man".

CheGuedara wrote: »
    A lion cub bike ninja holding bike over its head.

Floral/green imagery all on a background of bikes all of which are greasy side up.

I think it's a pictorial pun. Critical Mass is an expression of modern dandyism, a form of extreme narcissism. Dandy lion, dandelion.

The upturned bicycles represent the fate of the participants as they are run over by unfuriated taxi drivers.

The rest of it demonstrates that extremely poor photoshopping skills are no barrier on the path to righteousness.

Being on Critical mass demos in other cities. Not about storming the dail with bikes. Cycling is usually alonely experience, expect at traffic lights. CM good laugh make a few newfriends, bondedinthe abuse of from odd taxi driver.

Most Roads user transports modes are surprisingly patient. Dominanceon Road is cast away for a few minutes.

Critical Mass Budapest, grown very quickly. Amazing video online.

http://vimeo.com/4251572

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Going by that video fom Dublin if that's the turn out I think my weekend club runs could be considered super critical masses. Also going by that video what is the point of taking up the whole width of a road, all of the lanes, at a piss-take pace? I'm not what you would call a big fan of the skills of the average taxi driver however these people are out there trying to make a living and I just think it's pretty damn annoying that a crowd of people should take it upon themselves to wantonly obstruct them from going about their work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I will be driving outnof dublin for the country on friday evening. If his bunch of hippies blocks the road, then let's just say that I am not a patient man and I am prone to anger.
    Critical mass me arse. Cycling is enjoyable, social, fun, transport and sport. It is not a bunch of self righteous pricks willfully holding up traffic. I could give you adozen car free back roads 20km from Stephen green. Why not hold your critical mass there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

-Chris- wrote: »
    I remember a detailed thread about CM we had earlier in the year. I really struggled to understand exactly what the desired result was other than "sticking it to the man".
    Yep, that's pretty much it. Bunch of hippies pissing off other legitimate road users, just because they can. It really has to be the stupidest attempt at 'promoting' cycling out there.

Dublin is one of the most car dependent cities in Europe, and not very cycling friendly. Apart from the infrastructure deficiencies, driver awareness of cyclists is poor compared to most other European cites.

Civic Society we have to elevate how people get about the city in a pragmatic way, as opposed to having a car fetish and being too embarrassed to be seen on a bike while driving your car 2km to buy a carton of milk.

Many European cities, people use a mixture of cars, public transport, and cycling in a much more efficient way. Changing mind sets, ways we live, how do we do this. Legislation, lobbying, local council, education ,Dublin cycling campaign, critical mass. Going to be combination of all these things.

Not to mention te amount fat people and their lazy lifestyle. Preemptive health care. Plus cycling good for head, endorphin release.

Any you keyboard warriors, want to take a break, or in deed clear your heads before another online rant, buzz along to critical mass. You might be more coherent in your criticism.

Long Live the Glorious Bike !!!!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Dublin is one of the most car dependent cities in Europe, and not very cycling friendly. Apart from the infrastructure deficiencies, driver awareness of cyclists is poor compared to most other European cites.

Civic Society we have to elevate how people get about the city in a pragmatic way, as opposed to having a car fetish and being too embarrassed to be seen on a bike while driving your car 2km to buy a carton of milk.

Many European cities, people use a mixture of cars, public transport, and cycling in a much more efficient way. Changing mind sets, ways we live, how do we do this. Legislation, lobbying, local council, education ,Dublin cycling campaign, critical mass. Going to be combination of all these things.

Not to mention te amount fat people and their lazy lifestyle. Preemptive health care. Plus cycling good for head, endorphin release.

Any you keyboard warriors, want to take a break, or in deed clear your heads before another online rant, buzz along to critical mass. You might be more coherent in your criticism.

Long Live the Glorious Bike !!!!*

that's all well and good but why go out and block the roads?

To drawing attention to how unfriendly some streets in the city are for cyclists. Not to mention cyclists are TRAFFIC as well.

Taking away motorized transport dominance for a few minutes is a physical world statement that cyclists are traffic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

To drawing attention to how unfriendly some streets in the city are for cyclists. Not to mention cyclists are TRAFFIC as well.

Taking away motorized transport dominance for a few minutes is a physical world statement that cyclists are traffic as well.

There are better ways of doing this, annoying people on their way home from work or making long journeys across the country is not the way.

Making people aware of cyclists is already being done on a daily basis by people who commute as part of the traffic, not people heading out to disrupt it a few times a month.

All of the criticism levelled here is perfectly coherent. What aspects of it don't you get? The ears of the self righteous would appear to be cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So are tractors. Don't see what good having a convoy of those round St. Stephen's Green would do. Consideration to other road users is a two way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm all for rallies, demonstrations, blockages and parades. I don't particularly care what the cause is. I think we should do more of it. Not that i've been on many...possibly not any. Tell a lie, I joined a critical mass by accident once because I was going the same way.

Defo alot of the criticism on this tread very constructive, good old democratic debate, apart from the lazy labels appied.

What I know of critical mass I have read off wikipedia pages, I am not a spokesperson or an expert in critical mass. London Critical mass has done a lot for cycling.

Point remains, cyclists are traffic, they are not bloacking the road as they are traffic. I know many cycling advocates who disagree with this method of cycling advocacy. I think diversey of tactics is a strenght not a weakness in cycling advocacy.

Reason I take part is because I was almost killed by a car driver who did not notice me on a road (I correct road position).

Hope this forum provides interesting debate. Retire form this forum. Last but not least critical mass video from Belfast.

http://vimeo.com/11063099

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You should all take your clothes off and make it a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I also think Critical Mass is counterproductive, and I have no intention of ever joining in one of their rides.

The best way to promote the cause of cycling is not to be a nuisance when you're travelling by bike. Beyond that, there are forms of advocacy and activism that don't involve deliberately thwarting people who are trying to get away for the weekend.
    Point remains, cyclists are traffic, they are not bloacking the road as they are traffic.

I agree that cyclists are traffic. So does the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, and our very own Road Traffic Act of 1961. You already have the right to use the road (with a few exceptions; see below), so you can tick that off your list of objectives now.

Tractors and taxis are also traffic. Deliberately congregating in large groups, occupying entire lanes and proceeding at a slow pace specifically to hinder other road users is most definitely blocking the road. When taxi drivers or farmers stage a protest, this is exactly what they do: they block the road.

As mentioned above, you already have the right to use the road -- but not where there is an adjacent cycle track. Counter-intuitively, if you succeed in getting more cycle tracks built (which I assume is one of your goals, since you mention infrastructure), you will increase the number of roads which you don't have a right to use (see Statutory Instrument 274/1998)
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0274.html
    a pedal cycle must be driven on a cycle track where one is provided.

I'm all for rallies, demonstrations, blockages and parades. I don't particularly care what the cause is

Excellent, I'll see you at the first rally of the Union of Paedophile Priests. Like, they have rights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Don't get me wrong, I love a good mass meself. I have just gotten a present of a box set of Fr Todd Unctious masses. You know, the first series: "When good masses go bad...".
    Reason I take part is because I was almost killed by a car driver who did not notice me on a road (I correct road position).
    I'm almost killed at least twice a week on my commute, by motorists who don't notice me on the road or do but don't regard a bike as traffic or for whatever other reason. A protest will not change the behaviour of these muppets and will piss off the sound motorists who have no problems with sharing the road with other users.
    Not to mention te amount fat people and their lazy lifestyle.
    Cycling at a snail's pace is hardly a cardiovascular activity. You'd lose more weight playing golf. I]Nowt against golf, it's just not a serious workout[/I Besides, I've cycled over 7,000km so far this year, yet I'm overweight. Laziness is something else altogether and is impossible to quantify scientifically. It's just a word used as a stick to beat people with, really.

There are plenty of ways to enjoy pootling about on a bike. I think this sort of thing, apart from missing the point and inciting violence in itself, just attracts the chronic activist who may or may not know one end of a bike from another and I'd be concerned that it could end in tears.

Why can't you folks just take up mass tea drinking, or something, instead. I think there might be a tea festival somewhere in the country this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

So you are drawing attention to how unfriendlly some streets are by making them unfriendly, right?

No it's not, it's a statement that if cyclists don't get what they want, everyone should suffer.

This isn't a protest, it's the usual farcical strongarm tactic people few as democratic demonstration.

1. CM states that it wishes to draw attention to the fact that its actions remind "motorists" that "cyclists" have the same rights to use the road by taking away their right to use to road. How does that work? I remember taxi drivers doing this in certain parts of the city during the year and the public reaction. It's a confrontational act that will not glean any public support, which I would argue is the most important part of any "democratic" protest.

2. CM makes no effort to clean up its own house before pointing the finger at other groups. They believe in punishing the driving public for not respecting them while that same driving public sit every day and watch numerous cyclists break red lights, refuse to signal their intentions, won't use lights and basically not act in a safe manner on bikes. So we have one part of the road using public lecturing another part of the road using public despite the fact that both groups contain elements that refuse to act courteously to other road users.

3. CM increases the gap between "motorists" and "cyclists" and does nothing to garner respect between the two groups which is exactly why it'll never work as a movement. People don't like being punished, especially if there's no carrot at the end of it.

4. CM as a form of protest does nothing to address the government or provide suggestions to policymakers who have the power to make real world changes.

Anyway, considering the usual pi$$ poor turnouts CM has had for a long time now I don't see what results it'll achieve. There were more people on bikes at the lights at O'Connell Bridge at 9.15 yesterday morning than last year's CM.

Cycling Week as an inclusive event has a better affect than CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Lumen wrote: »
    Excellent, I'll see you at the first rally of the Union of Paedophile Priests. Like, they have rights too.
    I think there would be clear benefits to having a public display of this nature ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hi, I've a few questions:

I'll have to drive up from the Midlands to take part in Critical Mass. Will the organisers be providing car parking?

Is there a tea stop? If so, how many sandwiches am I likely to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Lumen wrote: »
    Sounds like fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Junior

OP - You need to go see all our feelings on CM in this thread here

Has anything changed since then ?

• Advertisement

Defo alot of the criticism on this tread very constructive, good old democratic debate, apart from the lazy labels appied.

That's interesting considering you were the only one who applied the lazy label, to overweight people if i recall correctly.

Advertisement