Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critical Mass Dublin July 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

a few years ago a critical mass ride in Dublin enraged a motorist so much that he knocked a cyclist of his bike and attacked him. Problem was, it turned out that the cyclist wasn't part of the CM ride and was being held up by it himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just saw one of the cyclists that featured in that CM video breaking a red light while listening to headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Assemble Stephens Green 6pm!!

Last Friday Every Month

Jaysus, this seems like a really bad idea.
    How does purposely holding up Bank Holiday traffic do anything for cycling advocacy?
    I thought cycling advocacy was supposed to be about promoting awareness and respect for all road users, not reclaiming the streets purely for cyclists.
    OP this is a baaad idea. Almost on a par with the Animaniacs definition of what constitutes a bad idea.
    As someone else already suggested, have your 'critical' mass in the Phoenix Park, they got almost a million people to a big mass there back in the early 80's so it's plenty big.

Note to Taxi Drivers- Open season on Hipsters in Dublin, this Friday from 6pm. Hunting license not required. No individual quotas. Reporting of kills not neccesary, just clean up the mess after you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

penexpers wrote: »
    .... while listening to headphones....

I'm curious is that illegal? Are deaf people allowed to cycle and drive. What are the Irish laws on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't think it is illegal. And I know of deaf people who are licensed to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

BostonB wrote: »
    I'm curious is that illegal? Are deaf people allowed to cycle and drive. What are the Irish laws on this.

It's not illegal but I think it's bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

penexpers wrote: »
    It's not illegal but I think it's bad form.
    Well that's your opinion and probably best kept in the same box as that on cycle helmets.

blorg wrote: »
    Well that's your opinion and probably best kept in the same box as that on cycle helmets.

Oooh, new debate topic!

"Deaf people should not be allowed to cycle but should have to wear 'crash' helmets anyway."

(May God forgive me if this is in bad taste)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 doniemac

ROK ON wrote: »
    I will be driving outnof dublin for the country on friday evening. If his bunch of hippies blocks the road, then let's just say that I am not a patient man and I am prone to anger.
    Critical mass me arse. Cycling is enjoyable, social, fun, transport and sport. It is not a bunch of self righteous pricks willfully holding up traffic. I could give you adozen car free back roads 20km from Stephen green. Why not hold your critical mass there?

Cyclists are hardly patient either and are prone to anger too. It's your own fault if you end up being angry after taking something 6 times the size into the city centre. The reason that critical mass is not held in the countryside is clear. Would you be content to be told to do all your driving in Mondello park?

doniemac wrote: »
    Cyclists are hardly patient either and are prone to anger too. It's your own fault if you end up being angry after taking something 6 times the size into the city centre. The reason that critical mass is not held in the countryside is clear. Would you be content to be told to do all your driving in Mondello park?

INCOMING!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Moflojo wrote: »
    INCOMING!!!

Thought the same myslef! :D

Don't rise to the bait people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rokko

Rokko wrote: »
    Hi everyone :)

I'm looking for some kind person to let sit on his/her tandem a blind person friend of mine. We have no a tandem but we all want to come to this critical mass.

Anyone there so kind to bring my friend around?
    She is strong and willed to do most of the work :)

Thanks

Hey, any gentleman around? :)

Rokko wrote: »
    Hey, any gentleman around? :)

Is she hot? :D

I've no tandem, nor will I be massing critically, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rokko

Moflojo wrote: »
    Is she hot? :D

I've no tandem, nor will I be massing critically, sorry.

Jeeeeeeeessssss... tamden are so expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The more I watch that video the more I hate the idea of CM. With any luck the taxi drivers will take a few out.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

ever see the usa one, the cyclist look for trouble,
    then wonder why the get run over, got i hat this,
    with not a single dead cyclist so far this year, why have the need for this,
    ok meet up but don't take up the whole road. take up a lane,
    anyway the turn out is ****e compared to Budapest, 35 thousand:eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

doniemac wrote: »
    Would you be content to be told to do all your driving in Mondello park?

I'd say that'd be kind of fun actually.

Advertisement