Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

-problem with driving instructor :/

Options
  • 28-07-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

I payed 500 ahead for driving lessons, took 4 and he said he is going on holidays and will be back in the end of Sept! :eek:
    Is that fair?
    I have time now, wont have it in September! :( WTF???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AndyC555

You paid up-front and now he says he wont be back until September?

Demand your money back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

I would demand my money back as September is too late (we're still in July like),if he refuses then i would go to the Gardaí and then my solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

AndyC555 wrote: »
    You paid up-front and now he says he wont be back until September?

Demand your money back!

I did, he said i have "credit" lol :rolleyes: for more lessons when he's back. I cant belive this! What a rude .......... ! I planned to have this done in August! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Hes goin on holidays for 2 months!!

demand your money back, name and shame as well.

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    I would demand my money back as September is too late (we're still in July like),if he refuses then i would go to the Gardaí and then my solicitor.

I can "demand" as much as i want, i didnt even signed anything with him (just have his text messages and email) and he said (his words) "i wont get anything back -just lessons"! :confused:
    u n b e l i v a b l e -huh ?

• Advertisement

softmee wrote: »
    I can "demand" as much as i want, i didnt even signed anything with him (just have his text messages and email) and he said (his words) "i wont get anything back -just lessons"! :confused:
    u n b e l i v a b l e -huh ?

Keep your texts and emails - Contact Gardaí and Solicitor tomorrow.

I will :(. The worse is his attitude. He just hung up the phone and before he said he wont talk to me and i can send him letters! When i said i will send him letters from solicitor he said i am threatening him! :rolleyes:

He sounds like a cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Too right you are threatening him. (Got any friends who are journalists?)

However isn't it a bit odd that you paid him up front, without a clear agreement of what you were paying for? Didn't you smell a rat earlier on? Is there more to this story than you're telling?

He sounds like a cowboy.

-yeah, this kind of cowboys are especially unpleasent when it comes to money (giving back). :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hang on. Before you go to a solicitor ring the consumer association and get their advice on 1890 432 432 or (01) 402 5555, It's exactly the same advice as you'd get from a solicitor and as we are talking about a sum of less that €2000 you would have recourse to the small claims court who would have the power to get your money back and possibly compensate you. It would only cost you 15 quid as opposed to god knows how much if you go to a solicitor.

If you get advice from the consumer association that you have a case ask them to email their opinion to you and then email it onto him. I know you want your money back now so hopefully an email like that would be enough to bring him to his senses and let him give you your money back rather than ruin his reputation facing up to court in Sept which he would have to pay for.

If you have no receipt or contract you might be in trouble here. Find out for free on the phone to the consumer assoc. rather than pay for the pleasure though.

Otherwise tell him you'll name and shame him online!

JustMary wrote: »

However isn't it a bit odd that you paid him up front, without a clear agreement of what you were paying for? Didn't you smell a rat earlier on? Is there more to this story than you're telling?

I agree,can you post up the full story.

-what do you mean "what you were paying for" -he is driving instructor as i said, so i was paying for.... driving lessons? I said i want to do them in 2 weeks time twice a week two hours and he even said 2 hours is too long for beginner (I was ok after first 2 hours)! so we were kind of making appointments after each lesson. :/ (didnt have exact plan for every hour)

chilly wrote: »
    Hang on. Before you go to a solicitor ring the consumer association and get their advice on 1890 432 432 or (01) 402 5555, It's exactly the same advice as you'd get from a solicitor and as we are talking about a sum of less that €2000 you would have recourse to the small claims court who would have the power to get your money back and possibly compensate you. It would only cost you 15 quid as opposed to god knows how much if you go to a solicitor.

If you get advice from the consumer association that you have a case ask them to email their opinion to you and then email it onto him. I know you want your money back now so hopefully an email like that would be enough to bring him to his senses and let him give you your money back rather than ruin his reputation facing up to court in Sept which he would have to pay for.

If you have no receipt or contract you might be in trouble here. Find out for free on the phone to the consumer assoc. rather than pay for the pleasure though.

Otherwise tell him you'll name and shame him online!

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Sound fairly dodgey alright.. But I thought people pay lesson by lesson, not a whooping 500 up front??? If what you said are the full facts, name and shame.....

I agree,can you post up the full story.

-there is no "full story", he got paid and after 3 lessons told me (text me) he is going on holidays! :mad:

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Sound fairly dodgey alright.. But I thought people pay lesson by lesson, not a whooping 500 up front??? If what you said are the full facts, name and shame.....

Its cheaper if you pay i front

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

i'v just finished a journalism course in college:p!

boards.ie exclusive!

clarke1991 wrote: »
    i'v just finished a journalism course in college:p!

boards.ie exclusive!

I will talk to you then if i wont see him tomorrow with my money.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Where did you get the number for this guy? Is he approved by the RSA? Did he give you a receipt? Did he tell you at the time of booking that he was intending on taking a holiday? Make sure, if he or you, phones again record the conversation and keep your cool. If your writing a letter keep a photocopy and clearly state what the verbal contract between the both of you was. Tell him that there was a breech of contract and you would like you money back. If he refuses tell him you are taking it further. If everything you have said is 100% true than you are entitled to a refund.
    Also it wouldn't be defamation of his character if you state his name or the business name as you aren't making false accusations against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shanemc1

Name and Shame. You have to have morals i your in business, the only way these people will treat you right is by telling other's. If this is seen by an other instructor they will think twice about doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

Vodkat wrote: »
    Also it wouldn't be defamation of his character if you state his name or the business name as you aren't making false accusations against him.
    thats true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Where did you get the number for this guy? Is he approved by the RSA? Did he give you a receipt? Did he tell you at the time of booking that he was intending on taking a holiday? Make sure, if he or you, phones again record the conversation and keep your cool. If your writing a letter keep a photocopy and clearly state what the verbal contract between the both of you was. Tell him that there was a breech of contract and you would like you money back. If he refuses tell him you are taking it further. If everything you have said is 100% true than you are entitled to a refund.

Recordings like this can't be used unless person acknowledges and allows it to go ahead. Can't be done secretly by lay person. I would reason with him and when he (most likely) refused to pay up, wait until he is gone on holiday. Then apply to small claims court and win thanks to this clause from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/courts-system/small_claims_court:

"The respondent has 15 calendar days to reply to the claim. Where there is no reply by the respondent, he/she is then held to have admitted the claim. The procedure is the same as if he/she had consented to judgement. The claimant swears an Affidavit of Debt and makes a request for Judgement and Decree. The Registrar will assist the claimant in this procedure. The Registrar will notify the respondent of the Judgement. The Respondent has 28 calendar days to comply with the judgement."

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway -> Consumer Issues

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Handing €500 to some random driving instructor is absolute madness! What was wrong with pay per lesson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

please explain how going to the Gardai will solve the problem...........
    they would only laugh..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Handing €500 to some random driving instructor is absolute madness! What was wrong with pay per lesson?

Have to agree with this. I've heard of maybe buy 4/5 lessons and get one free, which is about 150 upfront. But €500?! Anyway you don't need us making you feel worse, just try to get it back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Patience is a virtue OP.

Perhaps this master instructor felt you needed some time to grow mentally before you could progress further in your training. Use the two months wisely to reflect on all you have learned to date. You can't go from zero to hero when it comes to being an excellent driver.

-yes he is approved by the RSA,
    -I've got his number from his web site and i found it i think even on the boards..
    -he didnt give me any receipt
    -he didnt say a word about going on holidays (and i told him i want all my lessons in August)

• Advertisement

sesna wrote: »
    Patience is a virtue OP.

Perhaps this master instructor felt you needed some time to grow mentally before you could progress further in your training. Use the two months wisely to reflect on all you have learned to date. You can't go from zero to hero when it comes to being an excellent driver.

-and what kind of nonsens is that? you are just beeing sarcastic i hope. dont feel like laughing at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement