Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

-problem with driving instructor :/

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Handing €500 to some random driving instructor is absolute madness! What was wrong with pay per lesson?

-lets say if i would pay per lesson, i would have to spend 5eu more on each one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

softmee wrote: »
    -and what kind of nonsens is that? you are just beeing sarcastic i hope. dont feel like laughing at the moment.

I thought this was afterhours. My apologies.

-lets say if i would pay per lesson, i would have to spend 5eu more on each one.

5 euro is a terrible saving on such a large amount of money being handed over. I would be looking for at least a 20-25 per cent discount.

sesna wrote: »
    5 euro is a terrible saving on such a large amount of money being handed over. I would be looking for at least a 20-25 per cent discount.

-jesus, 5 of each lesson, lets say i would pay 50 for every single one and i paid 45 per lesson for 11 booked in advance.
    -thats 50 - not 5 saving

-jesus, 5 of each lesson, lets say i would pay 50 for every single one and i paid 45 per lesson for 11 booked in advance.
    -thats 50 - not 5 saving

Jesus, yes 5 per lesson. Thats terrible. Not to mention giving it over to a cowboy instructor with no receipt or contract. Basically one lesson free after 10. Sure you could get your dad to drive around an industrial estate with you and hey presto, theres your one free lesson.

• Advertisement

sesna wrote: »
    Jesus, yes 5 per lesson. Thats terrible. Not to mention giving it over to a cowboy instructor with no receipt or contract. Basically one lesson free after 10. Sure you could get your dad to drive around an industrial estate with you and hey presto, theres your one free lesson.

My dad is unfortunately not alive any more. Whats your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

-thats 50 - not 5 saving

OP, after paying 500 euro up front you are only get 5 euro off each lesson?

Definitely demand the rest of your money back
    Small claims court if necessary.
    Don't waste money on a solicitor, gardaí will do nothing here

Then when you get a new instructor at least try to haggle.
    Did you haggle for 5 euro off each lesson
    The instructor is probably laughing at you and thinks you're a soft touch, hence why they are treating you badly.
    Get yourself a proper deal next time.
    For 500 euro upfront I'd expect an amazing deal from an amazing instructor, the best in the county!

OP, after paying 500 euro up front you are only get 5 euro off each lesson?

-there is nowhere more then 5 off

For 500 euro upfront I'd expect an amazing deal from an amazing instructor, the best in the county!

-from his website :

" <snip>"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've no doubt this instructor is qualified and competent.
    But they fecked off for two months and left your request ignored.
    So get your money back

If you cannot haggle then bring somebody with you who can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Alarm bells here, firstly, no receipt? Secondly, how do you know he will come back? Have you any proof you paid the money? I've never heard of being asked for 500 euro upfront, screams of a conartist to me. Have you a good solicitor? A stern letter should see you right but I'm still worried about the lack of a receipt, will be interesting to see how this pans out!

• Advertisement

Alarm bells here, firstly, no receipt? Secondly, how do you know he will come back? Have you any proof you paid the money? I've never heard of being asked for 500 euro upfront, screams of a conartist to me. Have you a good solicitor? A stern letter should see you right but I'm still worried about the lack of a receipt, will be interesting to see how this pans out!

-i trust people (used to) and he has registered driving school in Galway so it wouldnt cross my mind he could disappear with my money. (and i dont think he did, he just doesnt see anythink unfair in telling me we will finish lessons after his holidays!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Call around to his house/premises, tell him thats no good for you and you should have been informed of this up front.

Say your going to Australia for a year in October and his schedule doesn't suit, hence he cannot provide the service you paid for.

Demand your money back.

i.e. He can't say you going away isn't his problem if his going away isn't your problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I am a wallet inspector. I am the best in Longford and throughout Ireland. I charge 50 euro per inspection but if you pay for 10 inspections I will give you 1 free.

Sorry I seem to have left my reciept book at home, I'll post it out to you later is that ok? Shall we start now?

Yawns wrote: »
    I am a wallet inspector. I am the best in Longford and throughout Ireland. I charge 50 euro per inspection but if you pay for 10 inspections I will give you 1 free.

Sorry I seem to have left my reciept book at home, I'll post it out to you later is that ok? Shall we start now?

I dont get why people are attacking me here. I asked for advice - not criticism. :rolleyes: I didnt give money to any anonymous person on the street! As i said, this guy has popular driving school, 2 or more cars only for this purpose. He was recommended even on the boards and somewhere else too! Yeah, i should ask for receipt, but i didnt -so leave this alone ok? It happened and i just wanted to know what to do now and what people think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

-from his website :

" <Snip>"

His English is crap as is his geography and his website has a lot of long winded waffle on it as well.
    <snip>

This chancer entered into a verbal agreement with you to give you 2 lessons a week every week. Normal contractual obligations would allow for 2-3 weeks as normal holidays, over 2 months is not normal and is a breach of the contract. Tell him he won't have a leg to stand on if you contest it.

Tell him you will be going to the small claims court for non provision of service that has been paid for. As another poster said let him know that you will be going to the Small claims court while he is away and if he doesn't respond within 15 days he will be deemed guilty. Also state that you will be claiming for costs because you were hoping to get your lessons completed in August and if it runs later you will end up having to take time off work etc.

Basically you need to scare him into giving you your money back right now with the threat of the small claims court. Then find someone better to give you lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I paid for my lessons upfront too (paid twice for sets of 10 lessons), glad I never had any problems (so far).
    I think it's absolutely disgraceful what this instructor did. If he is really going away for 2 months on holiday, he would have known this a good while back and should have told you as much when you paid him. The fact that he won't give you your money back sounds like he already pumped it into his trip. So do what everyone's written above to get your money back and my all means spread the word so people will know not to choose him for an instructor. Oh, and I learn with www.marksmotoringschool.ie . Nice guy, good instructor and a good bit cheaper than yours...

I dont get why people are attacking me here. I asked for advice - not criticism. :rolleyes: I didnt give money to any anonymous person on the street! As i said, this guy has popular driving school, 2 or more cars only for this purpose. He was recommended even on the boards and somewhere else too! Yeah, i should ask for receipt, but i didnt -so leave this alone ok? It happened and i just wanted to know what to do now and what people think about it.
    I think the posters just don't like people like yourself getting taken advantage off by these chancers. It's a type of tough love to harden you up so you will hopefully learn from it and it won't happen again.

You need to talk tough and tell him September or later doesn't suit you so he can't provide the service he sold you.

I'll leave it up to you to name him here if you wish, alternatively people can just google the quote from his website that you posted. He definetely needs to be Named and Shamed though as I believe he knows exactly what he is doing. You're money is his spending money while on holidays and maybe other peoples as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Phone call from friend to him

Friend - Are you the company they are all talking about on boards.ie? The one that takes money and then bazzes off?

Him - Er...

Friend - have a look - Boards.ie It might even be in the papers tomorrow

spurious wrote: »

Friend - Are you the company they are all talking about on boards.ie? The one that takes money and then bazzes off?

Him - Er...

Good, hopefully he will do the right thing now. Let us know how this works out Softmee

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

Report him to The RSA. They are enforcing the approved instructors bit and would surely take some kind of action against him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

spurious wrote: »

Him - Er...

A suggestion rather than a report of a call.

This guy is only doing what he's doing because he thinks he'll get away with it with you.

panorton wrote: »
    Report him to The RSA. They are enforcing the approved instructors bit and would surely take some kind of action against him.
    RSA probably can't do much as it's a contractual issue. She doesn't have a problem with the actual service she is being provided with, which would be the RSA's remit. The problem is her agreement with him

From his website
    SNIP.

I'm going to E-mail this thread to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Stay cool OP, when he comes back, complete your lessons and on the last lesson crash the car head on into the gutter. Get out of car and bid him farewell and tell him to "have a good day".

Then just walk away.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Stay cool OP, when he comes back, complete your lessons and on the last lesson crash the car head on into the gutter. Get out of car and bid him farewell and tell him to "have a good day".

Then just walk away.
    That won't achieve a lot, she's a learner driver not a stunt driver. She may end up unable to walk away.

Ok, thanks everyone. I will wait for money until tomorrow, if I wont see it I will use some of your advice.

That won't achieve a lot, she's a learner driver not a stunt driver. She may end up unable to walk away.

:D yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I payed 500 ahead for driving lessons, took 4 and he said he is going on holidays and will be back in the end of Sept! :eek:
    Is that fair?
    I have time now, wont have it in September! :( WTF???

Is he a registered driving instructor(RDI)?
    If he is, contact the RSA (road safety authority) and report him.
    They might have something to say about his fitness to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This has descended into a stupid thread with lots of stupid advice.

Let's try to establish some facts before we start offering advice.

OP, when you paid him upfront for the lessons, did you make it clear that you wanted to complete all the lessons in August? If you did, and he accepted that, then he is in breech of the agreement.

If you did not state this, then he is doing nothing wrong, and as long as he will provide you with the remaining lessons when he returns, there is no consumer issue.

The Gardaí will not get involved in this matter as it is a civil case. A solicitor is expensive. Before you do anything, make sure that you have a valid argument.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    I would demand my money back as September is too late (we're still in July like),if he refuses then i would go to the Gardaí and then my solicitor.

Oh ffs, please don't go to the gardai and waste both your time and there's, the gardai will NOT get involved in such a matter.

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    Keep your texts and emails - Contact Gardaí and Solicitor tomorrow.

Please stop spouting such crap, you haven't a clue what your on about if your telling people to contact the Gardai regarding such a matter, its nothing to do with the Gardai.

I hate when people give misleading advice like this and show that they are clearly clueless

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement