Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bianchi Suggestions

• 28-07-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I was due to get a Giant Defy 3 for the CTW scheme and my LBS told me today that they cannot be found for love nor money. He is trying other bike shops for a Defy 3 Large frame. He is about to get some Bianchi bikes as a trial from the same rep that sells him Giant.
    The Defy 3 was costing €775. What would people suggest from the Bianchi range of comparable price/quality. I would need the triple (granny gear) as I am just trying to get into some biking and there are steep hills where I live.

Thanks

Anthony,,,,,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Evans Cycles stock Bianchi, so it'll give you a rough idea of what's available at that price. Bianchi's do tend to be that bit more expensive though, so you may be limited to choice in that price bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Slane Cycles up near Belfast.
    Give them a call, they're helpful and friendly and they'll deliver a bike to you in 2 days if its in stock.
    I think this is their cheapest Bianchi.

http://www.slanecycles.com/bianchi-c2c-via-nirone-7-alu-shimano-2300-compact-8sp-bike-2010-p-4363.html

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, my employer has issued a cheque payable to my LBS so I am committed to buying from him.
    What is the view on Bianchi as a brand? Are they better equal or worse then Giant? Should I buy another model Giant if the Defy 3 is not available? My LBS deals Giant only at the moment but is thinking of dealing Bianchi so my choices are limited to those brands.

BTW - What is meant when a bike has 'compact' in the description eg "Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 7 Alu Carbon Veloce Compact Bike 2010"?

Thanks,

Anthony......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Pandybelly wrote: »
    Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, my employer has issued a cheque payable to my LBS so I am committed to buying from him.
    What is the view on Bianchi as a brand? Are they better equal or worse then Giant? Should I buy another model Giant if the Defy 3 is not available? My LBS deals Giant only at the moment but is thinking of dealing Bianchi so my choices are limited to those brands.

BTW - What is meant when a bike has 'compact' in the description eg "Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 7 Alu Carbon Veloce Compact Bike 2010"?

Thanks,

Anthony......

Bianchi vs Giant?? Like Ferrari vs Ford ! IMO get a Bianchi (will pay more) and be a bit different from the masses that have Giants/Trek's etc but as a Bianchi owner I'm obviously biased...

In relation to compact - bike has compact gears as opposed to std gears or a triple (3 rings on front) - you can search loads on here but bottom line is they are 'easier' on hills compared to std - disadvantage bigger gap between gears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

compact gears is inbetween a tripple and a standard. it only has 2 rings but they are smaller.

i think tripple goes 30/40/50 teeth
    standard is 39/52
    compact is 34/50

i use a compact and its great, it gets ya up most hills, the really steep hills youd be strugglin with a tripple anyway. and theres too many gears with the tripple

also campag veloce, i''m a campag man myself never used shimano but i think with campag you need to be from the mid level up. i had a lower level campag groupset before and it was ****e.

i think the way it works (not sure about sram) is shimano is way better quality but campag is nicer so for the cheaper stuff your way better gettin shimano if you can instead of campag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Have been doing a bit or research for the OH and I've come to the unscientific conclusion that you don't get much for your money with Italian bikes, cheaper Bianchis, Cinellis, et al having poor specs and weighing more compared to non-Italian brands, the shortfalls only being offset by that intangible aura of awesomeness and style that has been attributed to Italian bikes over the years. I think that at the prices the OP is looking at a Felt or Merida might be the ticket.

el tel wrote: »
    I think that at the prices the OP is looking at a Felt or Merida might be the ticket.

Unfortunately my employer has issued the cheque to my LBS who deals Giant and may be getting into Bianchi.

Would you recommend another Giant if he cant get the Defy 3?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The Bianchi Via Nirone is a lovely bike. I know a couple of people who ride it and are very happy. Is it any better than the Giant? Probably not.
    i think the way it works (not sure about sram) is shimano is way better quality but campag is nicer so for the cheaper stuff your way better gettin shimano if you can instead of campag

My experience is the opposite. While its really a religious difference from midway up the range, I'd take budget Campag over Shimano 2200 or Sora any day.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    The Bianchi Via Nirone is a lovely bike. I know a couple of people who ride it and are very happy. Is it any better than the Giant? Probably not.

My experience is the opposite. While its really a religious difference from midway up the range, I'd take budget Campag over Shimano 2200 or Sora any day.

yea but a veloce group set is the same price as a 105 shimano no? centura (did they change the name of that now?) is about the same as ultegra.

id say a 105 is alot better than veloce, maybe im wrong with the pices tho.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

yea but a veloce group set is the same price as a 105 shimano no? centura (did they change the name of that now?) is about the same as ultegra.

id say a 105 is alot better than veloce, maybe im wrong with the pices tho.

In my experience, Veloce would be about the same level of quality as 105.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

go with the bianchi. just convinced my mate to get a via nirone. they are a sexy bike (and not may bikes can be considered a turn on), go with all bianchi green and make sure it has campy. forget giant, they are good, but every tom dick and harry has one. be special, go bianchi.

do it

el tonto wrote: »
    In my experience, Veloce would be about the same level of quality as 105.

maybe maybe, probably not a whole lot of difference between them. your probbly just a big campag head tho!! haha. ah i am too. i always use campag. I've got centura on my bike but the brothers got ultegra on his. his seems to be alot better quality, not just a small difference, massive difference. but shimano looks ****e so im still happy enough.

Hi,

I picked up the Bianchi 2 weeks ago from my LBS, O'Hallorans in Tralee. Beautiful bike both to look at and to ride. Quite comfortable, very responsive and lovely to look at. I am well pleased. If anyone is passing his shop there is one on display in the window.

Anthony.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

funkyjebus wrote: »
    go with the bianchi. just convinced my mate to get a via nirone. they are a sexy bike (and not may bikes can be considered a turn on), go with all bianchi green and make sure it has campy. forget giant, they are good, but every tom dick and harry has one. be special, go bianchi.

do it

I must admit the one thing I don't like about bianchi is the green colour, don't know why, I just don't.

bike.jpg

I'd also say its more Alfa Romeo than Ferrari. Still, get one! (preferably a blue one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I must admit the one thing I don't like about bianchi is the green colour, don't know why, I just don't.

bike.jpg

I'd also say its more Alfa Romeo than Ferrari. Still, get one! (preferably a blue one).

You take that back, or ill come over there!!

full green? i agree, but a bianchi has to have a bit of green somewhere, that is like getting a blue ferrari, sure we all know its a ferrari, but its a sh1t ferarri. anyway op hope you enjoy the bike. what model did you go with and what groupset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

blasphemy.bmp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Hi,

I picked up the Bianchi 2 weeks ago from my LBS, O'Hallorans in Tralee. Beautiful bike both to look at and to ride. Quite comfortable, very responsive and lovely to look at. I am well pleased. If anyone is passing his shop there is one on display in the window.

Anthony.....

Post a picture of it in the Images of Beauty thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Hmm...

I even remember watching the 2003(?) tour and thinking 'I wish Jan's team had a different colour jersey'. And I am/was Jan fan. I suppose Bianchi did supply 'colour' to the only exciting tour of the snooze fest Lance era, so maybe I'll relent...in fact my next bike will be a Bianchi , so maybe green handlebar tape.

Also Ferrari are actually Colonagos and MTBs to boot for some reason

125226.jpg

• Advertisement

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in posting some photos. I hope you like the Bianchi. Sorry its not cleaner. :)

Anthony.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in posting some photos. I hope you like the Bianchi. Sorry its not cleaner. :)

Anthony.....

I was about to say "no stock photos" and then I realised the name. Thats pretty cool and wish I had a studio to take photos of my bike in! Even a good camera would help! :D

Hi alfalad,

Hope you liked the Bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Hi alfalad,

Hope you liked the Bike?

Lovely machine and best of luck with it!

Advertisement