Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can men purchase the morning after pill?

• 29-07-2010 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I need my bf to go in place of me if possible, will they give it to him? He is over 21. Thanks so much for an answer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ring ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

You can try although it is pretty important that you go in person. It's important that you actually see a doctor and have your BP checked before being prescribed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

If you're in Ireland you can only get it on prescription I thought? Perhaps someone else can confirm

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I would imagine you'll need to go in yourself tbh, the doctor will need to question you about your cycle etc.. I can't see them handing out a script to someone else.. Would be open to all sorts of abuse if that was the case..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Yes I am pretty sure that a doctor handing out prescriptions to a third party is completely against all medical ethics/rules etc. Sure you could have any kind of undisclosed condition that you didn't think to mention.

Even here in the UK where you can buy it over the counter you have to go in person. My friend sent her boyfriend out to get it a few weeks ago and they wouldn't give it to him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Why do you need him to go in place of you? Are you underage? Neither the doctor or the pharmacy staff will judge you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I would think a doctor would need to have a general chat and take blood pressure. But phone to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 L00045934

The doctor needs to do your bp and ask certain questions.. I went to get it once and my bf came along with me. She wouldn't let him into the room in case he had made me get it. She asked questions along those lines also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Do you have the prescription already OP? If your doctor oks you for it I'd say your boyfriend could go to the chemist for you but he cannot get it for you unless you've been prescribed it.

• Administrators Posts: 14,473 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You ask can he "purchase" it, as in walk into the chemist and buy it?

Yes. Anyone can collect medicines for someone else, once it has been properly prescribed.

If you don't actually have the prescription for it yet, then you will have to go to the doctor yourself to be prescribed it. The doctor can't prescribe it without seeing you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement