Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer Expo - Irish Gaming Expo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hopefully it takes off and runs well. Also looking forward to more concrete announcements.

Just hoping it's not another false prophet!

LAN in Limerick has broken my trust...

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

We have had a lot of Lan events in the past alright, but i dont think we have had anything on the scale of this, a 3 day event in the convention centre in Citywest. I dunno if anyone has been there, but if you have you will know how big it is, i mean its huge! Ive seen the floor plan for the event and there is a lot of stuff going on at. consoles etc will be there you dont bring your own, its going to have tvs all around the place so you can see whats happening during the event, its going to have demo areas with 3d gaming etc, food section with tvs around it showing whats going on and people with stalls or whatever showing off stuff.

now i have nothing to do with this thing, i have just seen the planning, effort and genuine excitement that these guys have put into it, they want to make the entire thing a show not just another lan event. a lot of work is going into it. From what i have seen, and its just my opinion, it looks like its going to be are really enjoyable weekend for gamers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, it looks like they're sinking a lot into it, I really do want to see it do well. I was toying with the idea of putting something like this on with a few others this year already, looks like we were too slow :)

It may not count for much, but the week before is Gaelcon and I'm not sure that having 2 huge games related cons 1 week apart in a country as small as this was the best idea. Granted, this is focusing on computer gaming and Gaelcon has it's roots in table-top / rpg / card games etc, but they've been making an effort in the last few years with console stuff.

Jaysus, I've just realised I must seem all doom and gloom about this, I'm really not :D I can't wait to see what's gonna be happening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Den85

Yeah, thegamingliberty will be there too. Sounds great and it's good to see something like this hit the Irish gaming scene. Can't wait to check out some new releases as well as see 3D gaming inperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Den85 wrote: »
    Yeah, thegamingliberty will be there too. Sounds great and it's good to see something like this hit the Irish gaming scene. Can't wait to check out some new releases as well as see 3D gaming inperson.

I wonder will the 3D gaming be for the PC or the PS3..or both

• Advertisement

Stevo105 wrote: »
    I wonder will the 3D gaming be for the PC or the PS3..or both

Good point. Still, I haven't seen it in person yet so it should be a treat. Hopefully they'll have Arkum Asylum and Dark Void at least on show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Again who is running this and why?
    Is it being put together as a pr event for certain games publishers?

We have had demos of games at lans and gaming conventions before but they were additions to what else was going on.

Will this just be a series of stuff in an exhibition hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Im expecting this to be a gaming expo rather than a LAN party. So i would be expecting the big 3 to have booths showing the upcoming games for xmas/2011. Also i would expect any companies based in Ireland to have some showing at it. EA,Activision, Blizzard etc.

You can stick a LAN party then in some dark back corner and let them talk about gay wizards and magic and leave the main area for the gaming purists on consoles. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Awshum. Would love to attend this. Cheap too which is always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

You can stick a LAN party then in some dark back corner and let them talk about gay wizards and magic and leave the main area for the gaming purists on consoles. ;)

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Living up to the name I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Doesn't seem to be a homebrew operation.
    WHOIS information for gamerexpo.net :

[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
    [whois.verisign-grs.com]

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

Domain Name: GAMEREXPO.NET
    Registrar: REGISTER.IT SPA
    Whois Server: whois.register.it
    Referral URL: http://we.register.it
    Name Server: NS1.BLUEHOST.COM
    Name Server: NS2.BLUEHOST.COM
    Updated Date: 18-jul-2010
    Creation Date: 19-may-2010
    Expiration Date: 19-may-2011

And some idea of who they want to be there for us to gawk at
    * The RETAIL Zone – suitable for game industry retailers (including on-line retailers)
    * The SOFTWARE Zone – suitable for game developers, publishers and MMORPG’s.
    * The DEMO Zone – suitable for hardware manufacturers.
    * The 3D Zone – Suitable for 3D TV manufacturers and 3D Game developers / publishers.
    * The INTERNET Zone – suitable for ISPs.
    * LAN War I Arenas – suitable for the promotion of hardware, components, accessories and games.

* retail sales are strictly forbidden in all zones with the exception of the Retail Zone.
    ** there is very limited availability in the DEMO ZONE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ill attend this for sure,just hope there will be a decent amount of pc stuff going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Please don't let the retail area be expensive.

That_Guy wrote: »

Yeah, hopefully they give us some pretty godo deals. Plus, tickets aren't that in price compared to what I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

Sounds interesting! As a student of videogame design I have a great excuse... Hopefully there will be companies showcasing stuff or having reps there to talk to about the actual industry....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

That_Guy wrote: »

If you're going to an expo looking for good deals you're setting yourself up for failure - new releases will never be able to match the best prices online and by defintion any sellers of old games will have a good idea of what the market value of a given product is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Syferus wrote: »
    If you're going to an expo looking for good deals you're setting yourself up for failure - new releases will never be able to match the best prices online and by defintion any sellers of old games will have a good idea of what the market value of a given product is.

Instead of Beards, it would be games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Et Cetera wrote: »
    Sounds interesting! As a student of videogame design I have a great excuse... Hopefully there will be companies showcasing stuff or having reps there to talk to about the actual industry....

lets be honest, we all just wanna see models from the avatar game.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Tickets for this are on sale now. Disappointed in the pricing though.

Gamer Expo site says it's €10 online to purchase a day ticket, €15 at the box office on the day.

However when I go to http://www.ticketgroup.ie/Gamer_Expo_tickets

To purchase, there's charge of €1 for purchasing using a card and another €1 for postage. So €12 for a day ticket altogether.

Now I don't mind paying the €12 on the optomistic basis that this show will be worth it, I just don't like the misleading €10 that's listed on the official site.

• Advertisement

Ticketgroup have also timed out while I purchased my tickets, so I'm going to wait a few days and see if my card has been charged before trying again. This isn't the most user friendly of processes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Can you purchase tickets at the expo itself?

Yes, €15 for a day ticket at the box office on the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The are giving away tickets on their facebook page, and on the irish gaming sites, i got a bunch myself im giving away at the minute. check my sig for details on the site.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Tickets for this are on sale now. Disappointed in the pricing though.

Gamer Expo site says it's €10 online to purchase a day ticket, €15 at the box office on the day.

However when I go to http://www.ticketgroup.ie/Gamer_Expo_tickets

To purchase, there's charge of €1 for purchasing using a card and another €1 for postage. So €12 for a day ticket altogether.

Now I don't mind paying the €12 on the optomistic basis that this show will be worth it, I just don't like the misleading €10 that's listed on the official site.

Hope the mods don't mind me posting this but we are now official ticket agents and we are not charging any service charges or postage costs. ;)

Thanks Pat, will be in touch!

Looking forward to this now there is some info on the site about what is happening LAN wars wise. Starcraft 2, RUSE, Streetfighter etc.

More big announcements coming in the next few days too.

We are giving away a pile of tickets on the site check out the sig. They are day tickets so if you have a preferred day don't forget to mention that to us if you are entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

Do you bring your own pc for this?

Skykes wrote: »
    Do you bring your own pc for this?

No they have machines set up PC and PS3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

EXPO postponed until further notice.

Due to an issue raised by the Senior Executive Fire Prevention Officer in relation to the Citywest Convention Centre, GAMER Expo 2010 has been postponed until further notice."

Tickets will be honoured at the later date or refunded.

http://www.gamerexpo.net/?page_id=83

🤪

Advertisement