Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer Expo - Irish Gaming Expo

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I have but one word for this:

"Ha"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I think it's unfortunate to be honest but it's not down-and-out...In saying that, I need a schedule of events - just so I know what is happening or if any day is worth skipping.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I think it's unfortunate to be honest but it's not down-and-out...

Oh yea, I know that. But still though after all the publicity that they've put into it, including advertising in the Metro Herald, and on FM104 - to be rendered incapable of being held only two weeks before it was meant to happen is going to be a big blow to the event's reputation - not that it really had any to begin with being a first-year thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I have but one word for this:

"Ha"
    Bit mean and vitriolic, no?

Very unfortunate, seemed like it was really a huge step in the right direction for an Irish Gaming "Con".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Ah ffs! was going to buy tickets for a fair few people in the morning... not cool :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Wonder when and if it'll be back on?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

allanb49 wrote: »
    Wonder when and if it'll be back on?

I know the organisers are working on this and it will be rescheduled. There is an unbelievable amount of work and investment behind this to drop it completely.

The first thing is can Citywest Hotel sort out the issue with the fire safety. If / when that's sorted what slots do they have to hold the event and will those slots suit everyone involved. There is also the possibility of moving the event to a new venue but again you're looking at slots and times etc. This was a last minute bombshell so we all need to bear with the organisers whilst they sort the issue out. :(

What about the convention centre on the quays, know it would be a last ditch effort,

Pat, do you know what the full extent of the issue was? Is it just too many people/not enough fire exits or has it to do with all the cables that would be needed for the displays and lans etc.

I know you personally aren't involved in this but will have some connections. Could you ask a rep for a update as they get them. Cheers :D

allanb49 wrote: »
    What about the convention centre on the quays, know it would be a last ditch effort,

Pat, do you know what the full extent of the issue was? Is it just too many people/not enough fire exits or has it to do with all the cables that would be needed for the displays and lans etc.

I know you personally aren't involved in this but will have some connections. Could you ask a rep for a update as they get them. Cheers :D

Just to be clear I'm not posting as a representative of GamerExpo so this should not be taken as gospel or official etc !

My understanding of the situation is that the issue is with the convention centre itself in general and not with the specific gamerexpo event. The unfortunate timing of the issue so close to the scheduled event meant a postponement was the only option for GamerExpo. I'd expect more news to filter out in the coming days.

Sweet, ah i know pat, We'll keep our ears and eyes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Funny how big events seem to get delayed at citywest Top gear live was delayed by two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 otaq

Hi guys, i'm not sure but all that event is nothing else but fake ... it's been 5 months since Gamer Expo has been postponed, i did try to contact with them (billion times)about my ticket refund but no luck (tried these two email addresses 1. info@gamerexpo.net 2.john@gamerexpo.net) and funny story, when i tried contact to the second one i got this message back :

-" Hi,
    I am out of the office on vacation until the 24th of January.
    Kind Regards,
    John".

and that was yesterday 9th of february...

What do you thinks guys it's a fake or not?
    Anyone got his money back?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Its definitaly not fake, i was out in the citywest convention centre with the guys and got a tour of the place. GamersIreland and OneFamily where going to have a charity gaming quiz in CityWest Hotel the Saturday night of the weekend and CityWest gave us a room for it for free. I dont know much about whats going on with it at this stage but i can tell you one thing it was Definitaly not fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 otaq

i see ... but isn't that weird we have no news about Gamer Expo whatsoever and that i can't get in touch with them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im not sure if its going to be rescheduled or not to be honest, there was a rumour of March but i dont think thats going to happen now. Hopefully something is worked out and we hear news soon.

It looks like someone forgot to take off their auto responder !

From our point of view I can tell you I spoke with the organisers a couple of weeks ago and they were working on another date. (John had been away in January he mentioned this to me) Citywest Hotel going into liquidation did not help matters at all as this effectively screwed any negotiations for the hotel to host the event once the fire safety issue was resolved.

To give an insight into organising an event like this - which to be fair I only know from seeing the work the guys put into the original schedule .... it's not as simple as picking a date announcing it and then filling the exhibition. In order for a new date to be announced a date has to be picked, approaches made to the bigger publishers about games etc and if enough publishers are agreeable to exhibit their games / upcoming games at that exact weekend only then can that date be set and announced publically. There's no point in announcing a date and then having a poor quality of games on show. So it's a time consuming process that ultimately may lead to a date being picked but weeks later deemed unsuitable.

As for the refund situation - I must stress that I am not here as a reprentative of gamerexpo so can't comment on that. I will say though for the record that anyone who bought tickets through ourselves who has requested a refund has been fully refunded.

Advertisement