Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genres you dislike/hate

Options
  • 29-07-2010 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I like to think of myself as pretty open-minded when it comes to music and will give pretty much anything a chance, but two types of music I really just cannot listen to no matter who it is form are Death Metal and Glam Rock. I really just can't stand anything from these styles of music. Now, i'm not trying to offend anyone or start an argument, i'm just giving my opinion. I'd be curious to know other peoples opinions and what other genres people in the music forum can't stand to listen to..

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

reggae
    latin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

this is likely to be productive thread...I can't insert the smiley for turning me eyes to heaven unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

hon pa wrote: »
    I like to think of myself as pretty open-minded when it comes to music and will give pretty much anything a chance, but two types of music I really just cannot listen to no matter who it is form are Death Metal and Glam Rock. I really just can't stand anything from these styles of music. Now, i'm not trying to offend anyone or start an argument, i'm just giving my opinion. I'd be curious to know other peoples opinions and what other genres people in the music forum can't stand to listen to..
    Just to address the Death Metal thing, the problem is that there's quite a difference between certain Death Metal styles so dismissing an entire genre like that isn't a good idea in my opinion and certainly doesn't tally with being "pretty open-minded when it comes to music". How about melodic death metal e.g. Arch Enemy? Technical death metal e.g. Cynic? or even deathgrind e.g. Cattle Decapitation? Those 3 bands sound quite different to each other.

The same probably applies to glam rock as well :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Malice_ wrote: »
    Just to address the Death Metal thing, the problem is that there's quite a difference between certain Death Metal styles so dismissing an entire genre like that isn't a good idea in my opinion and certainly doesn't tally with being "pretty open-minded when it comes to music". How about melodic death metal e.g. Arch Enemy? Technical death metal e.g. Cynic? or even deathgrind e.g. Cattle Decapitation? Those 3 bands sound quite different to each other.

Standard metal nerd response!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/openminded-music-lover-likes-all-kinds-of-metal,5737/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

While I generally dislike metal music, and the usual drivel you hear on the radio daily, my pet hate is Irish country and western. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Rigsby wrote: »
    my pet hate is Irish country and western.

Think we have a winner!

Hey, I may be a nerd and a metal fan but... what was that third thing you said?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

Haha. I think I like them all. I'm pretty open-minded tbh with music. I love heavy metal rock to country western. From pop to hiphop. I'm not a huge fan on the classical stuff like Mozart [like, I wouldnt have it on my iPod] but I could sit through an orchestra playing sure nuff. :)

Maybe I havent heard all these mad genres yous have though. Feel free to enlighten me with ones I may possibly hate. :L

Caught wrote: »
    I love heavy metal rock to country western.

Even Irish c/w ??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Not a big fan of Jazz. But I do like Mose Allison. I don't class Irish country music as music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Everythings sh*te since roy orbison died!

the worst is RAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Not a big fan of Jazz. But I do like Mose Allison. I don't class Irish country music as music.

+1 on the jazz and Irish C & W. That said there are probably songs that I do like that some people might class as jazz(y). Also dislike most Rap, hip-hop and what is called R & B these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Nozebleed wrote: »
    the worst is RAP.

Whenever someone says something like that, I always ask the same thing; have you ever listened to proper hip hop?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

i like my metal,i like my french house,i like my 90s hip hop,i like my electro,i like my rock,i like my trojan reggae and i like my DnB but what i can't stand is trad,pop and country Irish.3 genres created by satan himself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Post Punk and Eurodance.

While I admit to posting on this thread, I cant say I see the point of it. It is only human nature that tastes will vary, and that one person's meat is another's poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

While I admit to posting on this thread, I cant say I see the point of it. It is only human nature that tastes will vary, and that one person's meat is another's poison.

But surely you could apply this logic to loads of threads and forums on this site? People come on here to post their opinions and argue their points, I don't see how this thread is any different.

Btw, cant stand irish country and western and death metal , used to despise rap, but then I listened to it properly.

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Btw, cant stand irish country and western and death metal , used to despise rap, but then I listened to it properly.
    Regarding death metal, what style are you referring to? See this post for what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I grew up solely on a diet of guitar music, but nowadays I would actually rather listen to rap and hip hop (which I useda despise) than any of those emo bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

I like music that isn't shite.
    The rest is just shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I don't like trance (I think it's called trance). I always have headache when I hear this kind of 'music'.
    I love rock and metal but I do respect professionals of other music genres and I'm always open for new artists but trance......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Oh yes, trance has made me think of that section of dance music which I dont consider proper dance music at all.....that sh1te cheesy dance music where they take rock songs and put god awful eurodance beats behind it....like that utter crap Ultrabeat covering Kings of Leon. Pure muck.....eurodance? eurohouse? or is it considered trance? Whatever it is, its dreadful. Music for modified Toyota Starlets :pac:

When I think of dance music, I think of The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, DJ Shadow etc, not that ****e.

Have a listen to this and tell me that you still hate trance:

I did think of one genre I can't stand - Gabber. I challenge anyone to find a good Gabber song!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

Well, i suppose i've never really 'given it a chance' , but flicking through the channels and hearing the sh!te that comes on kerrang and scuzz sometimes and from browsing some of the threads on the rock forum I just don't like what I hear. Maybe there are some songs I like in the genre, but after hearing a fair few songs, i'm not willing to filter the crap i'm hearing to find anything good to be honest.

Once again, this is just my opinion, I'm not calling it 'bad' music since everyones tastes vary, I just made this thread because I was curious of what music was unpopular with many people.

Well, i suppose i've never really 'given it a chance' , but flicking through the channels and hearing the sh!te that comes on kerrang and scuzz sometimes and from browsing some of the threads on the rock forum I just don't like what I hear. Maybe there are some songs I like in the genre, but after hearing a fair few songs, i'm not willing to filter the crap i'm hearing to find anything good to be honest.
    Wait, what? You're basing your opinion on Death Metal on tv channels who's contribution to Death Metal is the occasional Arch Enemy video which probably only gets shown due to the Angela Gossow + teenage boys factor?

Wait, what? You're basing your opinion on Death Metal on tv channels who's contribution to Death Metal is the occasional Arch Enemy video which probably only gets shown due to the Angela Gossow + teenage boys factor?

And also, reading through the rock & metal forum. Festivals like download, rock am ring and bloodstock are the ones i would associate with death metal(as well as many other genre's) but from what i've heard I don't like that kind of music. You obviously don't agree with me and I respect the fact that you enjoy that kind of music but I really don't want to get into a debate, I was just giving my opinion.

And also, reading through the rock & metal forum. Festivals like download, rock am ring and bloodstock are the ones i would associate with death metal(as well as many other genre's) but from what i've heard I don't like that kind of music. You obviously don't agree with me and I respect the fact that you enjoy that kind of music but I really don't want to get into a debate, I was just giving my opinion.
    It's not that I don't agree (obviously I don't) it's just that you originally posted:
    two types of music I really just cannot listen to no matter who it is form are Death Metal and Glam Rock
    I asked you to clarify that and you responded with:
    I suppose i've never really 'given it a chance' , but flicking through the channels and hearing the sh!te that comes on kerrang and scuzz sometimes

So you say you're open minded but you're willing to dismiss an entire sub-genre of metal based on what you see on Kerrang or Scuzz which as I pointed out rarely broadcast that particular style of metal you're dismissive of. In essence, as far as I can see, you're dismissing something without actually taking the time to inform yourself about it properly.

Lastly you shouldn't start an inflammatory thread and then say you don't want a debate when that's exactly what you're going to get. This is a discussion forum after all. If all this thread consisted of was a chorus of people all professing their dislike for Irish Country & Western it'd be pretty boring wouldn't it?

I think it's pissing in the wind, someone trying to defend their taste in music. I said in an earlier post, and stand by it, that this thread is pointless. It is a recipe for a slagging match. Yes, it makes for a disscussion, but a boring one IMO, as with music in particular most people have "well bedded in" tastes, and are unlikely to be persuaded to change.

Just my 2 cents worth.

It's not that I don't agree (obviously I don't) it's just that you originally posted:

I asked you to clarify that and you responded with:

So you say you're open minded but you're willing to dismiss an entire sub-genre of metal based on what you see on Kerrang or Scuzz which as I pointed out rarely broadcast that particular style of metal you're dismissive of. In essence, as far as I can see, you're dismissing something without actually taking the time to inform yourself about it properly.

Lastly you shouldn't start an inflammatory thread and then say you don't want a debate when that's exactly what you're going to get. This is a discussion forum after all. If all this thread consisted of was a chorus of people all professing their dislike for Irish Country & Western it'd be pretty boring wouldn't it?

I started the thread to get other peoples opinions/see what genre's other people don't like. Not to get them confronting my opinion. You like metal, I don't. I just want people to post what genre's they don't like to listen to, I was curious.. that's all. I don't find that boring, I was reading other peoples opinions on the matter and was fairly surprised Irish country and Western was so disliked! Just to clarify so..

Examples of death metal bands i don't like (since I'm being too general)
    Amon Amarth
    Cannibal Corpse
    Cradle of Filth
    Devildriver
    Morbid Angel

I just can't listen to that kind of stuff, event the names make me cringe at how hard they try to sound "dark"..

And the lyrics to some of this stuff? from cannibal corpses "addicted to vaginal skin" for example:

"The curse is broken
    I have a dependence on vaginal skin
    It's become my sexual addiction
    I must slit, the twitching clit
    Rotted cavity hold the juice"

How can that be defended? It's vile to say in the least. really, just not my cup of tea. And whether or not I was being too general is another thing, But I honestly just don't like any of it.

• Advertisement

I think it's pissing in the wind, someone trying to defend their taste in music. I said in an earlier post, and stand by it, that this thread is pointless. It is a recipe for a slagging match. Yes, it makes for a disscussion, but a boring one IMO, as with music in particular most people have "well bedded in" tastes, and are unlikely to be persuaded to change.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Agreed, i regret making this thread. I'm not going to change my opinion and neither is anyone else. i was just curious to see other peoples views on some of the genres's of music floating around today.

Advertisement