Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genres you dislike/hate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Grunge
    Heavy Metal
    Most rap
    Classical
    Country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The Irish take on country and western....just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Malice_ wrote: »
    Have a listen to this and tell me that you still hate trance:

I did think of one genre I can't stand - Gabber. I challenge anyone to find a good Gabber song!

I still hate Trance. Never liked Metal (the loudest rock I'd listen to would be Queens of the Stone Age) or Jazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

hon pa wrote: »
    Well, i suppose i've never really 'given it a chance' , but flicking through the channels and hearing the sh!te that comes on kerrang and scuzz sometimes and from browsing some of the threads on the rock forum I just don't like what I hear.

I listened to scuzz for a half an hour(with friends, everyone was to lazy to turn it off) and it played some of the worst music i've heard in years. Really poppy emo type stuff, i never really talked to anyone that liked this stuff, i'm not really sure what the market is. I'd much rather listen to one of the mainstream pop channels, although not my taste, than scuzz. If your looking for good music from a genre tv is probably not the best place to find it. I used to not like metal because i just heard some stuff from pantera and the likes. Then i found bands like Don Caballero which i love

As for genre's its hard to dismiss the whole thing without a good listen, which you're not likely to do with a dismissive attitude. Saying that I can't stand that Irish country and western stuff either, basing this purely on a few random songs i heard on the radio. I've heard a few opera songs that i like but on the whole i switch stations when it comes on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Classical

How do you dislike the basis for all other western music?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Traditional Irish music wrecks my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

If you don't like Trance, at least listen* to the original album of the species: Oxygene (1976). If you still hate it, fair enough.

*with headphones! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I like all types of music except for rap and country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Irish Country & Western is pretty damn apalling. Turn on the radio on a Sunday afternoon and you'll hear a bunch of Oirish shite where every song sounds the same and is always about Fair Biddy from the village whose father died for Ireland, or something along those lines.

Generally I'm not a fan of metal, rap or dance music but I wouldn't dismiss those genres entirely as they are all so broad. Like there are a few rappers I can bear to listen to (M.I.A., Public Enemy, The Fugees) but gangsta rap is dreadful imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Trance, techno, electro, rap, hip-hop, modern trash labelled as "R n B", modern pop music... you know, the stuff you hear blaring out of boy racer cars or "scanger bangers".

Irish country music... words cannot begin to describe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I'm not a fan of Country & Irish but it's harmless enough. I'd take it over the 'Hat Acts' that they have in America.

The worst type of music would be hybrid genres like Popera or attempts to make pop out of classical. Awful ****e that's neither one thing or the other and is just a boring sludge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Malice_ wrote: »
    Just to address the Death Metal thing, the problem is that there's quite a difference between certain Death Metal styles so dismissing an entire genre like that isn't a good idea in my opinion and certainly doesn't tally with being "pretty open-minded when it comes to music". How about melodic death metal e.g. Arch Enemy? Technical death metal e.g. Cynic? or even deathgrind e.g. Cattle Decapitation? Those 3 bands sound quite different to each other.

The same probably applies to glam rock as well :).

Then you also have the likes of Soilwork, In Flames, Engel etc. which are death metal and sound completely different to the ones you mentioned above ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I think I can appreciate all types of music. I certainly don't 'hate' any genre like the title suggests. My music taste is fairly broad - for instance I went to see Frankie Gavin and the New De Danann last weekend (an Irish trad band), and I was probably the youngest person there. But it was €20 well spent, and they were great. Ronnie Wood was even a guest on their last album, so it just goes to show that musicians from completely different musical backgrounds can come together and play, and appreciate each other. Like Pavarotti doing that duet with Bono, or the one Nick Cave did with Kylie. Or Bowie and Bing Crosby. Magnificent stuff!! Lee Scatch Perry also co-wrote Big Muff with John Martyn, which appeared on the One World album. Or The Cure, who took their name from the Nick Drake song "Time Has Told Me" ("a troubled cure for a troubled mind"), according to Drake's wiki page anyway. The greatest goth rock, post-punk band (or whatever you want to call it), name themselves after the greatest folk singer-songwriter of all time. Enough said!

I think this genre hating thing is full of bitterness, and pretty sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Just to clarify so..

Examples of death metal bands i don't like (since I'm being too general)
    Amon Amarth
    Cannibal Corpse
    Cradle of Filth
    Devildriver
    Morbid Angel

I just can't listen to that kind of stuff, event the names make me cringe at how hard they try to sound "dark"..

And the lyrics to some of this stuff? from cannibal corpses "addicted to vaginal skin" for example:

"The curse is broken
    I have a dependence on vaginal skin
    It's become my sexual addiction
    I must slit, the twitching clit
    Rotted cavity hold the juice"

How can that be defended? It's vile to say in the least. really, just not my cup of tea.
    I must have missed this when you posted it originally. I can't really defend any Cannibal Corpse lyrics, I think they are simply put together for shock value and I can see how they would turn someone off.
    Agreed, i regret making this thread. I'm not going to change my opinion and neither is anyone else.
    As I said earlier in the thread, this is a discussion forum. Threads like this are far more interesting than a chorus of one sentence posts with little or no actual discussion attached to them so you shouldn't regret it at all.
    Then you also have the likes of Soilwork, In Flames, Engel etc. which are death metal and sound completely different to the ones you mentioned above ;)
    I think you'll find Soilwork, In Flames and Arch Enemy are naturally going to sound a bit like each other considering they're all Swedish. I've never listened to Engel so I can't comment on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

whatever genre mumford and sons play in, Irish trad and Irish country/folk/singer songwriter music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Oh yes, trance has made me think of that section of dance music which I dont consider proper dance music at all.....that sh1te cheesy dance music where they take rock songs and put god awful eurodance beats behind it....like that utter crap Ultrabeat covering Kings of Leon. Pure muck.....eurodance? eurohouse? or is it considered trance? Whatever it is, its dreadful. Music for modified Toyota Starlets :pac:

When I think of dance music, I think of The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, DJ Shadow etc, not that ****e.

Yeah....thats not trance by a long shot. In fact what most people would label as trance music (e.g that **** that gets radio plays) is nowhere even near proper Trance music (which is basically a genre you'd never hear unless you were specifically looking for it).
    whatever genre mumford and sons play in, Irish trad and Irish country/folk/singer songwriter music.

Absolutely agree. I ****ing hate Mumford & Sons and the prententious rubbish they put out as music. Also Beyonce, Lady Gaga and any of the rest of those cringe inducingly bad "artistes".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Irish Country n' Westerm (few here disagree), Modern day disco R'n'B ****e (Rhythm n' Blues is the real R'n'B), Modern Pop-Rap (Eminem and those bollocks'), Classic Hip Hop is the **** though, Modern Indie Rock (the not so Indie ones)...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

Hip-Hop, whether 'modern', 'real', 'old-skool', 'hip-pop', etc, whatever you want to call it is utter tosh.

If it's on MTV, you can almost put money on the fact that it's utterly inane drivel, conjured up by some tool hiding behind the moniker of 'artist'.

Your one Lady Gaga, or even that 50Pence fella are a prime example. Stupid people, making stupid music, which is making society stupid. Whatever happened to the pride in music? It's all a money making scheme.

I'll not argue the fact.

Hell, Irish Country and Western, however contrived and cliched, still at least contains people singing and playing musical insruments. I'll take that over 'urban flava' any day.

This is Ireland, after all, and not south central Los Angeles, aaaaaiiiggghhhhttt?...ahem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

i hate Rap! In the words of Dylan Moran, if i was on a pogo stick, on a trampoline inside a moving elevator id write better s**t!

Galway K9 wrote: »
    i hate Rap! In the words of Dylan Moran, if i was on a pogo stick, on a trampoline inside a moving elevator id write better s**t!

Good man yaself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Galway K9 wrote: »
    He does not have the lyrical capacity of Biggie. There is no arguing that

He does not have the lyrical capacity of Biggie. There is no arguing that

Neither has he the pie-munching capacity of Fattie Biggie.
    "Biggie, Biggie, Biggie, can't you see? Sometimes your thighs just hypnotise me! And I just love your fleshy ass..."
    ...ad nauseam. How drole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Indie, Emo, Nu-Metal, Metalcore, Deathcore, All the stuff you hear on the radio, Rave, Drum 'n' Bass, Whatever genre the Beatles are, RNB, Traditional Irish Music, Traditional African Music, Country Western and Dance music.

I'm very open minded.

I do like me a good dose of the darker jungle, Spor and Noisia being my latest favourites. The darker and harder, the better!

That said, dubstep is utter twonk, just like that LTJ Bukem type jazzy drum 'n bass nonsens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I challenge, or advise, the people above who've made negative comments about Hip-hop to listen to - if they haven't already - one or all of the following.

MF Doom
    Madlib
    (or both of the above working collectively as "Madvillain")
    Damu the Fudgemunk
    Anti-Pop Consortium
    J Dilla
    Jazz Liberatorz
    Gonjasufi

Hip-hop is represented poorly by the mainstream, it's very easy to make a lazy and repetitive beat and rap about greed and misogyny. However, the "alternative" side of the genre is some of the most interesting music being made at present. (imo).

smokedeels wrote: »
    I challenge, or advise, the people above who've made negative comments about Hip-hop to listen to - if they haven't already - one or all of the following.

MF Doom
    Madlib
    (or the above working collectively as "Madvillain")
    Damu the Fudgemunk
    Anti-Pop Consortium
    J Dilla
    Jazz Liberatorz
    Gonjasufi

Hip-hop is represented poorly by the mainstream, it's very easy to make a lazy and repetitive beat and rap about greed and misogyny. The "alternative" side of the genre is some of the most interesting music being made at present (imo).

Been there, done that, moved on.

Ebonically speaking, don't believe "the hype".

You can quote KRS-One, Jurassic 5, Lateef & The Chief, J Dilla, Gangstarr, Outlawz, Lupe Fiasco, Dead Prez (who happen to be worse racists than the KKK), Talib Kweli, Afu-Ra etc etc etc till the cows come home.

The reality is that it's all pish. It's all a fashion statement. With really silly names.

In the words of the immortal Snap, "Don't believe the hype is a sequel". It's not. It's exactly the same pile of dirty laundry. A rose by any other name, if you will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Unsinnig wrote: »
    Been there, done that, moved on.

Ebonically speaking, don't believe "the hype".

You can quote KRS-One, Jurassic 5, Lateef & The Chief, J Dilla, Gangstarr, Outlawz, Lupe Fiasco, Dead Prez (who happen to be worse racists than the KKK), Talib Kweli, Afu-Ra etc etc etc till the cows come home.

The reality is that it's all pish. It's all a fashion statement. With really silly names.

In the words of the immortal Snap, "Don't believe the hype is a sequel". It's not. It's exactly the same pile of dirty laundry. A rose by any other name, if you will :D

I cited only one of acts you mentioned, but how are any of them "fashion statements"?

I don't know what this means, I know music but nothing about fashion.

J Dilla is the only act appearing on both lists and - if you take his most acclaimed work for example - the idea of a working-class guy dying from lupus while he puts together an instrumental album from a hospital-bed is hardly - as I understand the word fashion to mean - "conforming to the current style" (the style of 2006 in this case).

anyway.... for me, guys like Dilla and Madlib take Jazz, Funk and Soul music and breath new life in to it, in Madlibs case expanding upon it with new compositions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Glam-rock?

Like, Ziggy Stardust/T. Rex kinda stuff?

I heartily disagree.

*rides away on white swan*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Unsinnig wrote: »
    Neither has he the pie-munching capacity of Fattie Biggie.
    "Biggie, Biggie, Biggie, can't you see? Sometimes your thighs just hypnotise me! And I just love your fleshy ass..."
    ...ad nauseam. How drole.
    that's not the song
    Anyway, I get it, you don't like it.

• Advertisement

that's not the song
    Anyway, I get it, you don't like it.

I know that. It's referred to as a 'p!ss take'.
    I always find it funny how those into hip-hop find the need to defend their style of 'music'. Always banging on about, 'oh you should listen to so and so, they're REAL hip-hop'.
    People who don't like hip-hop, don't like it for a reason. No matter who you tell them to listen to, it'll still sound like the same pish to them. It's a very simple concept.

Advertisement