Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genres you dislike/hate

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Unsinnig wrote: »
    I know that. It's referred to as a 'p!ss take'.
    I always find it funny how those into hip-hop find the need to defend their style of 'music'. Always banging on about, 'oh you should listen to so and so, they're REAL hip-hop'.
    People who don't like hip-hop, don't like it for a reason. No matter who you tell them to listen to, it'll still sound like the same pish to them. It's a very simple concept.

By mis quoting the lyrics it displays a lack of knowledge on the subject, so people correct you on it. If you don't like the hip hop sound then why not say that rather than use Dylan Moran's reason for not liking. One thing you really should not criticise hip hop for is lyrics. Do you know what the song you quoted is about? Some of the most accurate and intelligent lyrics are littered throughout hip hop. If you choose to not listen to them, then that is your loss. It's an even simper concept.

Black Steel in the hour of Choas (PE) is one brilliant example of how one song can speak for millions of ignored and undervoiced people. Yet you won't hear it on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

lordgoat wrote: »
    Some of the most accurate and intelligent lyrics are littered throughout hip hop. If you choose to not listen to them, then that is your loss

Yes. Yes, indeed. They're everywhere.
    Bazinga!

And, if it's on the radio, it's probably not worth bothering with in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Ironically, 50% of my music collection comes from computer games.

Have you got some Nobuo Uematsu in there? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Unsinnig wrote: »
    I know that. It's referred to as a 'p!ss take'.
    I always find it funny how those into hip-hop find the need to defend their style of 'music'. Always banging on about, 'oh you should listen to so and so, they're REAL hip-hop'.
    People who don't like hip-hop, don't like it for a reason. No matter who you tell them to listen to, it'll still sound like the same pish to them. It's a very simple concept.
    I'd have to disagree. It's a bit like saying "I don't like rock music" or I "hate metal". The genres are too wide to dismiss everything. Same with hip-hop IMO. There is a sound out there to suit everyone's taste (saying this about all music).
    And hip hop and rap rely heavily on clever lyrics. Good rap is amazing and interesting to listen too, that's why I listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Rap music or any other music that relies solely on sampling. Sampling is a very limited way to make music as it relies on music that has already been made, therefore no new melodies will ever be created. I really don't see the appeal in taking a guitar riff or bass line from a song and repeating it for three minutes while rapping about how many diamond rings you have.

• Advertisement

Rap music or any other music that relies solely on sampling. Sampling is a very limited way to make music as it relies on music that has already been made, therefore no new melodies will ever be created. I really don't see the appeal in taking a guitar riff or bass line from a song and repeating it for three minutes while rapping about how many diamond rings you have.

You seem to have Hip-Hop/Rap and pop music confused. If you can't see how sampling works and is by no way limited i'd guess you have listened to very little hip hop, apart from whatever you hear on spin or 104 etc. Really narrow view tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Sampling is a very limited way to make music as it relies on music that has already been made
    Ahh, no. I totally disagree.
    This is a song made entirely from samples:

and in my opinion, it's pretty damn good. It uses the samples creatively and makes something new out of something old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

lordgoat wrote: »
    You seem to have Hip-Hop/Rap and pop music confused. If you can't see how sampling works and is by no way limited i'd guess you have listened to very little hip hop, apart from whatever you hear on spin or 104 etc. Really narrow view tbh.

I don't see how disliking rap is any more narrow minded than any other genre anyone else has mentioned. I could tell people if they listened to The Planets by Gustav Holst they'd suddenly love classical or if they listened to The Carter Family rather than the Irish showband take on country they'd be converted but I don't see the point. The thread is about what genre I dislike and I happen to dislike rap.

I see no difference between what's played on MTV and the 'underground' stuff. In my view it's all someone rapping over music that someone else went to the bother of making. That's just my opinion. If you like rap, then fine, keep listening. I love plenty of music that other people have mentioned here but I couldn't be bothered defending it.

I don't see how disliking rap is any more narrow minded than any other genre anyone else has mentioned. I could tell people if they listened to The Planets by Gustav Holst they'd suddenly love classical or if they listened to The Carter Family rather than the Irish showband take on country they'd be converted but I don't see the point. The thread is about what genre I dislike and I happen to dislike rap.

I see no difference between what's played on MTV and the 'underground' stuff. In my view it's all someone rapping over music that someone else went to the bother of making. That's just my opinion. If you like rap, then fine, keep listening. I love plenty of music that other people have mentioned here but I couldn't be bothered defending it.

You're reason for disliking them was on saying that sampling was a very limited way to make music as it relies on music that has already been made, therefore no new melodies will ever be created. I really don't see the appeal in taking a guitar riff or bass line from a song and repeating it for three minutes while rapping about how many diamond rings you have.

This is incorrect as has been shown to you by the Avalanches video - one of many artists using samples, if you're bothered to look. Jens Lekman is another. Also you implied that all rappers talk about is how many diamond rings they have - there are many songs out there that don't mentions Guns Bitches or Bling again if you're bothered to look. When you say you see no difference between the MTV stuff and the undergorund stuff it implies you've never listened to any or are blindly ignoring it. Because the difference is astounding.

Also i'm guessing you probably don't know that there are many Rap artists that don't use samples. Maybe you'd like them ?

So what makes you're disliking rap or any other genre more narrow minded is a lack of having listened to any. Or again at least anything other than what you hear on the radio.

I can't stand latin/salsa music. It grates on me i find it annoying to the extreme. Everytime it's on a TV show it bugs me. I've also lived with some that loved it and has tried to convince me otherwise. I've given it a fair shot it's not for me. But would i write it all off as saying it all sounds the same so it can't be any use. Nope. It's just no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sniedel

Self indulgent minimal techno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Don't like indie, it's just boring, the coronas and those types of bands that is..

Advertisement