Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater appreciation thread?

Options
  • 29-07-2010 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Sorry if there's been a thread before :)

Looking to make a thread for discussion on one of my favorite bands

Been into them about a year now, picked up their albums after hearing some of their stuff. Listening through Falling into Infinity atm

Awake would probably be my fave album so far

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

My favourite band on the planet, are DT, so tis nice to see a thread to appreciate them:cool:

What better way, than to listen to all of a Change of Seasons?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I used to listen to Dream Theater alot more than i do now i have to say. But i still think they are an amazing band. But......the last 3 albums iv found very difficult to get into. Just not clicking with me. Everything up to & including Train of Thought to me is brilliant & then i dunno what happened.

The first album i heard was actually Falling Into Infinity & i still think its great even though going by the reviews & what not it seems to be one that that got criticized at the time. My favorite album has to be Six Degrees. Especially the first disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

I still like images too :) falling into infinity is massive as its derek sheranian on keys and hes a monster.... :) phat sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Absolutely love DT, cannot get enough of them.

My favourite album by far is Scenes from a Memory. Blows me away everytime I listen to it. Musically, its just insane and the story it tells from start to finish is just epic.

Train of Thought is another brilliant album, also quite like their last one, it grew on me after a few listens. The Count of Tuscany is a great track.

Just wish they'd come here and play!!:mad:

I'm a big fan of their material from Scenes onwards, I really must give their earlier stuff a proper go.

slayerking wrote: »
    Absolutely love DT, cannot get enough of them.

My favourite album by far is Scenes from a Memory. Blows me away everytime I listen to it. Musically, its just insane and the story it tells from start to finish is just epic.

Train of Thought is another brilliant album, also quite like their last one, it grew on me after a few listens. The Count of Tuscany is a great track.

Just wish they'd come here and play!!:mad:

I'm a big fan of their material from Scenes onwards, I really must give their earlier stuff a proper go.

Images and Words and Awake are incredible albums, If you like Scenes you'd love Awake, but personally I&W will always be my favourite DT album because it has some of their greatest ever songs on there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I first DLed their albums one by one but I felt bad, but at the very least I got to hear them. I listened to WDADU, I&W and Awake. Loved all of them. So when I was in town I thought I would buy some of their stuff because they are a band I really love and want to support, also owning the stuff is so much nicer. Picked up falling into infinity yesterday, haven't got a chance to listen to it yet but will soon. Going to explore each album in turn :)

My favourite song without a doubt so far is

Ramza wrote: »
    I first DLed their albums one by one but I felt bad, but at the very least I got to hear them. I listened to WDADU, I&W and Awake. Loved all of them. So when I was in town I thought I would buy some of their stuff because they are a band I really love and want to support, also owning the stuff is so much nicer. Picked up falling into infinity yesterday, haven't got a chance to listen to it yet but will soon. Going to explore each album in turn :)

My favourite song without a doubt so far is

To be honest, Album by album is definitely the way to go, if you havent heard Metropolis Pt II:Scenes from a Memory yet, then enjoy, you in for a serious musical treat sir:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I love Dream Theater. I wish I had a chance to see them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Been a fan for years - started off with Scenes, but my favourite albums are probably I&W, Train and the new one. Just an incredible band, their sound is the perfect blend of sincerity and virtuosity and there's rarely a dull moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leonh74

love dream theater.first album i bought was falling into infinity,i loved the album cover.when i heard it first i wasnt convinced.then i really got into new millenium,lines in the sand and trial of tears and have been in love with em since that.i also have never heard an album quiet like awake its amazing in everyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Got into them when a guy I worked with told me to listen to Train of Thought a few years ago. Loved it.

Scenes From A Memory and Images and Words would be my favourite DT albums, but every album has some great moments.

Some of my favourite songs would be...

Octavarium

Metropolis Pt 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper

Learning To Live

Blind Faith

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Scenes from a Memory, Images and Words, Train of Thought and Awake are all excellent albums.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement