Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New composite front door wont close properly

• 29-07-2010 3:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,had a new black composite wood effect door installed about 6 weeks ago.

It will not close over and stay closed unless I actually push hard against it for the latch to actually connect and the door to close and stay closed.

Also,when you pull the handle upwards to engage the locking system,its hard to do so,you need to give the handle a good hard push upwards for the handle to go upwards and for the locking system to work and to be able to lock it with the key.

Is there any way of adjusting the door,or does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I feel your pain. I had a composite door installed (burgundy) last year and it wrecked my head for months.

My installer went out of business, so I had no one to turn to.

The easiest thing to do is try to adjust what I think are called the "keeps" - where the locks engage. You can normally do this with a phillips screwdriver and can't do much harm. They are fairly easily adjustable inwards and outwards. Take your time. Be careful not to adjust so much that the seals no longer engage properly.

Dark pvc doors (and particularly black doors), despite the claims by the manufacturers, warp substantially when they attract any sun. My door is south facing and you can feel the heat coming off it during the day. It could be just warping during the day, and resettling at night. There isn't too much that can be done about this unfortunately.

Normally these doors have 3D flag hinges. I would advise that you do not touch these, particularly the compression adjuster in the centre, and I suppose the best advise is to call the installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

composite doors don't have flag hinges. if you just got it installed, call the fitters back. if you mess with receivers or locks etc you can void your warranty. black is the worst you can get for warping. some manufacturers don't even give a warranty on black - period. call the installer, let him sort it out.

My door has three 3D flag hinges -it's an Apeer composite from NewWorldDevelopments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A quick call to a local UPVC window/door company,20 minutes of adjusting the door and 60 euro later,and its a perfect fit,close and open.Locks nice and smoothly too now.:D

paddy147 wrote: »
    A quick call to a local UPVC window/door company,20 minutes of adjusting the door and 60 euro later,and its a perfect fit,close and open.Locks nice and smoothly too now.:D

Are you in Dublin Paddy - can you pm me the name of whomever you used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement