Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Starcraft

• 29-07-2010 3:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Never played games like this before, so please bare with me

Never was a fan of sci-fi to be honest but a friend of mine who is a fan of SC told me all about SC2 coming out soon. He had SC1 on his PC with some expansion called Blood War (?), not sure, but he let me play single player for a while just because I was curious.

I have to say I was immediately captured haha, I really enjoyed the look of the game. I did the first few missons but then had to leave. With more free time I could see myself playing it more and taking it seriously. But some questions first

1) Is there a major storyline in these games? Do I need to play through SC1 before I can get SC2?

2. Upon playing first I realised there were certain episodes(?) or characters I could play and when I did play it seemed kind of hazy and like I was thrown in at the deep end. Didn't seem like there was much basic information or tutorials for people who had never played etc. The story even seemed a little vague Is this how it is meant to be or?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

1. Yes, there is a very good story, and its very important to the single player side of the game. MP not so much. While playing through Starcraft 1 is the best way to experience it, you could always kill the afternoon in work by reading the Starcraft wiki page. Thats how i spent my Tuesday :P

2. The first couple of missions introduce the basic concepts, and there are challenges that show you more advanced techniques. To be fair, if you've played one strategy game, you've played them all (very basic way of looking at it, but at its most basic level its true)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ramza wrote: »

1) Is there a major storyline in these games? Do I need to play through SC1 before I can get SC2?

I never played sc1 either and like kiith i read the wiki before the game came out, but from what i can tell you are more or less told the important stuff from sc1 in the early stages of sc2. Oh and you get the recap while you install the game. And its in the manual :)

So ye, no need to play sc1.

Advertisement