Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Portugal

Options
  • 29-07-2010 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Lads, anyone know a good surfing resort in portugal? wer looking to go for 2 weeks in august, any reccomendations would be great, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Lagos

surfexperience.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Soneca

checked the website looks pretty good, you used them before?

Yup, went this year in may, didnt stay with them but wouldve been cheaper if i had.
    Nice relaxed set up. They have access to great beaches, all abilities catered for. Lagos is a good spot for nightlife too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I know a few people that went with that crowd in April.
    Had a great time and they came back recommending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i was in portugal ar new years for two weeks

we were staying in alvor which is about an hour from lagos and two hours from sagres

the surf near us was very hit and miss

we went to lagos one day and it was good but the surf reports werent too promising for their any of the other days so we went straight to sagres most days (5/6 times) every day we were in sagres there was nice surfable conditions so that would be were i recomend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Soneca

alright cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Will be flying in Faro for a weekend in September - anywhere decent to surf around there?

Only there for the weekend so wouldn't bother if I needed to travel any distance...

Nowhere close, you need to head to lagos area and thats an hours drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Is Sagres OK safety-wise? Heading there with my 16-year-old son and, while I'm a good swimmer (and have a healthy respect, etc.), I would hate to have to be pulling him out of the water against monster currents.

I know it's likely to be a bit flat in August on the more sheltered beaches (we're renting in Burgau for a fortnight) ...but his Ma won't take it too well if I come home without him. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

peckerhead wrote: »
    Is Sagres OK safety-wise? Heading there with my 16-year-old son and, while I'm a good swimmer (and have a healthy respect, etc.), I would hate to have to be pulling him out of the water against monster currents.

I know it's likely to be a bit flat in August on the more sheltered beaches (we're renting in Burgau for a fortnight) ...but his Ma won't take it too well if I come home without him. :eek:

In a word no - on Tonel beach there were several parents drowned trying to save thier kids a bus tour had stopped there and they were warned not to go in as it was dangerous, kids being kids they did.

I've surferd at Burgau it gets some south swell nothing big but fun.

Other beaches in the area are better but not are safe. Have a look at beachwizard or wannasurf for a list but Amado Arrifian and Zafiel are all worth a look. There's a few beachs at the back of Villa de Bispo as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cheers for that, I'll check those out and maybe go the extra few miles over the Aljezur side. Countryside looks interesting in Google Earth, too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

peckerhead wrote: »
    Cheers for that, I'll check those out and maybe go the extra few miles over the Aljezur side. Countryside looks interesting in Google Earth, too. :)
    That's Arrifian it's very good if the swell is big all along the coast but then agian your local should works as well but muchs smaller

Advertisement