Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is It A Sin To Like Meat Loaf?

Options
  • 29-07-2010 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So, the other day, me and my friend are having this conversation about music. And I just mention I'm a fan of Meat Loaf and he bursts out laughing - saying that you can't like them, because a load of housewives and his Dad likes them, so I'm thinking...and I'm 25, not 15, is there any band you've been ever been ashamed to be a fan of?

I put this here as opposed to Rock/Metal because I think it's an interesting question of people's perception of what's cool and what's not.....

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Food or singer?? Nope to either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

There is nothing wrong with Meat Loaf. The notion that you cannot like something just because your parents like it is retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Nothing wrong with Meatloaf, Motley Crue on the other hand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I liked him in Fight Club but that's about as far is goes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

the time he was on bo selecta was gas..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdUxEWD8wlE&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

It's not cool to like Meat Loaf, so you won't get many saying it's not a sin.

If I'm driving and a Meat Loaf track comes on, I'm more likely to turn it up than turn it off, especially the early stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Meat Loaf is amazing. Cant remember the man who wrote his songs, Jim Steinsten or something but his lyrics were genius.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age.

Basically, your mate's a gob****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Meatloaf meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Meat Loaf is amazing. Cant remember the man who wrote his songs, Jim Steinsten or something but his lyrics were genius.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age.

Basically, your mate's a gob****e.

Jim Steinman. He had a good solo album as well, titled something like (or was it the track I remember? ...) "Love, Death and the American Guitar"

Sin? Not if you enjoy it (unless the catholics are watching !)

..is there any band you've been ever been ashamed to be a fan of?

Never, not once.

I couldn't give a fcuk what people think of the music I listen to.

I like to listen to all sorts of music, from The Beatles right through to Flock Of Seagulls.

There are many bands that it is not "cool" to like and you won't hear many people admitting they do out of fear that they are not someone who just likes bands with "credibility".

I have known dozens of people like that, who just talk about The Smiths all day long and yet when you open their glove box, it's full of Bon Jovi CDs.

Music snobs are pretty much like all other types of snobs, full of shit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Meat Loaf's great. Nothing more to say. Nothing like rocking out to Marvin Lee. Presumably your mate likes more modern stuff. Please ask who they consider say from the last year, to be better than Meat Loaf and return here with their answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Meat Loaf is a legend. Loved him since as far back as I can remember. Bat 1 and 2 were savage albums and Bat 3 wasnt all that bad either. New album "Hang Cool Teddy Bear" was a let down though.

His best stuff were those songs written by the Legendary Jim Steinman.

Todd Rundgren, also a legend was producer on Bat 1 and he seriously made the album too.

3 Names, 3 legends in their own right.

And who can forget Meat as the brain dead zombie Eddie in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Find me a better song for dumping a girl than "2 out of 3 ain't bad". Try it. you will fail.

Meatloaf is pretty cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Fúcking love MeatLoaf... seen him live a few times as well, he puts on a dam good show!

"Bat Out of Hell" has to be 1 of my favourite albums also. Every song on it is a gem!

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Jim Steinman. He had a good solo album as well, titled something like (or was it the track I remember? ...) "Love, Death and the American Guitar"

Sin? Not if you enjoy it (unless the catholics are watching !)

A track (spoken word) was Called "Love, Death and an America Guitar" later called "Wasted Youth" on Bat 2.

Steinman's album was Called "Bad for Good" which was also a track on that album and was also sung by Meat Loaf on Bat 3.

Find me a better song for dumping a girl than "2 out of 3 ain't bad". Try it. you will fail.

Meatloaf is pretty cool.

Or Paradise by the Dashboard Light....
    I said I would love you till the end of time.... so now I am praying for the end of time, so hurry up and arrive, cos If I got to spend another minute with you, I don't think I could really survive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Uriel. wrote: »
    Or Paradise by the Dashboard Light....

Thats for getting yer hole!

Thats for getting yer hole!

Only the first two parts of the song... the last part deals with the bitch who won't fúck off :D

Uriel. wrote: »
    Only the first two parts of the song... the last part deals with the bitch who won't fúck off :D

yeah well the whole thing in general is a 'non-traditional' way of telling a love story...

:P

yeah well the whole thing in general is a 'non-traditional' way of telling a love story...

:P

The whole Meat Loaf / Jim Steinman thing is non-traditional really :)

• Advertisement

Meatloaf is legend Op! You need to kick your friend in the face and make him listen to Bat of out Hell.
    Not ashamed of any music I listen to.. Everythin from Beathoven to Dr. Dre to System of a Down to Leftfield. If any of my friends commented, i'd just make a mental note to disregard anything else they ever say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Not at all.
    I love the likes of Luke Kelly, The Dubliners & The Wolfe Tones, which my parents like.

You could be listening to worse than Meat Loaf...like Jedward :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Cant wait for my drive home tonight. Bat out of Hell is being selected on my iPod and the volume is going up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Don't listen to him a lot but this is the very first song I remember listening to. I was in our sitting room with my dad who was blaring it. I must have been about two and trying to sing along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Meatloaf is a living legend...

Sykk wrote: »
    Meatloaf is a living legend...

He was class in Fightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Jim Steinman- Love, Death and an America Guitar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

♪♪♪ baby we can talk all night ♪♪♪

<3 cheesy rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Never liked meat loaf. Prefer normal bread... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Depends on what your doing with meatloaf. Listening. That is fine. Inserting a large loaf of it into your posterior. Not fine.
    Doing an apple pie on it...Not fine.

Advertisement