Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung wave v iphone4

Options
  • 29-07-2010 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at getting one of these at the weekend. Can get iphone4 as am a current customer with o2 but something tells me the wave is better.

Wave supports Flash this is correct and was processor is fast?

Are the apps for wave getting better?

What are the pro and cons for both?

I am leaning towards the wave, but still not a 100% sure.

I take it both have wifi connection?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

If you like Samsungs, have you considered the Galaxy S?

Only €529 on Expansys.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

iP4 Pros over Wave:

Many, many more quality apps. available
    Bigger screen
    Faster 3G data connection speed - if the Network makes the speed available.
    Larger capacity memory as standard
    Voice Command / dial
    Reliable and easy firmware updates
    Thinner, shorter

Wave Pros over the iP4

Bigger battery - much longer standby - 100% more 2G, 85% more 3G
    Better call signal strength
    More camera features. proper shutter release button
    Better screen
    Better media player - more video formats supported
    FM radio
    Palringo IM
    xHTML browser
    Java
    Video call over 3G
    Normal SIM
    Flash 9 - limited but at least it's something
    Not subject to Apple control freakism
    Narrower, Lighter weight
    Significantly cheaper

Both have 1ghz processors and WiFi-N

If you love apps, the iPhone is better.
    If you want a phone that is better in the phone basics, the Wave is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

cnocbui wrote: »
    iP4 Pros over Wave:

Many, many more quality apps. available
    Bigger screen
    Faster 3G data connection speed - if the Network makes the speed available.
    Larger capacity memory as standard
    Voice Command / dial
    Reliable and easy firmware updates
    Thinner, shorter

Wave Pros over the iP4

Bigger battery - much longer standby - 100% more 2G, 85% more 3G
    Better call signal strength
    More camera features. proper shutter release button
    Better screen
    Better media player - more video formats supported
    FM radio
    Palringo IM
    xHTML browser
    Java
    Video call over 3G
    Normal SIM
    Flash 9 - limited but at least it's something
    Not subject to Apple control freakism
    Narrower, Lighter weight
    Significantly cheaper

Both have 1ghz processors and WiFi-N

If you love apps, the iPhone is better.
    If you want a phone that is better in the phone basics, the Wave is better.

re procesor, so far all iPhone processors were underclocked to make battery perform "better"... I assume the iPhone4's processor is not running on all cylinders, either. Samsungs 1Ghz Humminbird is proven to be faster even than Snapdragon chips.

Obviously, the Wave's bada OS will never catch up with iPhone's app catalogue, but remember, loads of the more useful ipHONE APPS JUST patch up gaps in the iPhone's functionality.

The wave has no need for many of the apps available for the iphone because it does those things out of the box.

It depends on what you want to use your phone for.
    I quite enjoyed the Wave, and it was prob'ly the touchscreen device with the best battery life that I ever used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Something to think about for me.

It sure looks like the best iPhone competitor and my Son's X10 performance leaves my iP3G in a ha'penny place.

strecker wrote: »
    re procesor, so far all iPhone processors were underclocked to make battery perform "better"... I assume the iPhone4's processor is not running on all cylinders, either. Samsungs 1Ghz Humminbird is proven to be faster even than Snapdragon chips.

Obviously, the Wave's bada OS will never catch up with iPhone's app catalogue, but remember, loads of the more useful ipHONE APPS JUST patch up gaps in the iPhone's functionality.

The wave has no need for many of the apps available for the iphone because it does those things out of the box.

It depends on what you want to use your phone for.
    I quite enjoyed the Wave, and it was prob'ly the touchscreen device with the best battery life that I ever used

iP4, iPad, Galaxy S and Wave use the same Hummingbird processor made by Samsung. Apple being stingy, spec'd the iPad version with half the in package memory Samsung use, thus cleverly allowing them to call it the A4 and claim they had design input. what a laugh :rolleyes:

If the number of Bada OS devices increases to the extent they outnumber the number of iOS devices, the number of apps available could grow to match or exceed those available for iOS. Not saying that 'will' happen, just that it might.

Ultimately, the number of apps available for Android, iOS and Bada may become more or less the same as it would be in app developers interests to port to all OSs in order to maximise sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

iP4, iPad, Galaxy S and Wave use the same Hummingbird processor made by Samsung. Apple being stingy, spec'd the iPad version with half the in package memory Samsung use, thus cleverly allowing them to call it the A4 and claim they had design input. what a laugh :rolleyes:

If the number of Bada OS devices increases to the extent they outnumber the number of iOS devices, the number of apps available could grow to match or exceed those available for iOS. Not saying that 'will' happen, just that it might.

Ultimately, the number of apps available for Android, iOS and Bada may become more or less the same as it would be in app developers interests to port to all OSs in order to maximise sales.
    these 2 budget "waves" might just make (or break) Bada OS http://www.intomobile.com/2010/07/29/samsung-wave-2-and-wave-2-pro-hitting-russia-in-september-as-wave-525-and-wave-533-respectively/

strecker wrote: »

I swear I could run Samsung's phone division better than the Turkey currently in the job. What ever possessed them to call it a Wave Pro when it is a lower spec'd device than the original? Wave Junior would be more apt.

I would issue a Bada firmware for the millions of poor Jet users out there and instantly win their undying future brand loyalty to Samsung, not to mention increasing the size of the Bada market substantially, overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wave Pros over the iP4
    xHTML browser

Just curious about this part; both devices support HTML5 - let alone (x)HTML? My experience of Samsung (and LG) phones has been that on paper, they are excellent - but usually let down with a pretty unintuitive interface. Hopefully they've sorted that out.

They have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

I had a Samsung Jet before and wasn't that impressed with it. Is the Samsung Wave that much better?
    Was also thinking about getting the iphone4, but from all I've heard and read here, the Wave would be the better option.

• Advertisement

I had a Jet too. Yes, the Wave is a lot, lot better.

Between the Wave and the iP4, I think it boils down to cost and apps. If apps are important to you, then the iP4 is probably a better choice, but if they are not that critical, the Wave is a phone that matches the iP4 in technology and build quality and yet costs a lot less.

For what you get, I think the Wave is the best value phone in the top end of the market because I think Samsung are discounting it to get Bada established.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

I have Wave myself and I really like it (moved from Samsung i8910 Omnia HD/Symbian phone). For this money, you cannot go wrong with it.

Just my advice, if you decide to buy it, don't buy it from any operator, buy Unbranded one from a mobile shop, because unbranded ones offer you frequent firmware update support in the future, while those branded ones - do not.

I made a mistake of buying Wave with 3 and I hate it, firmware updating is locked, not to mention simlock. Lot's of hacking to be done to update phone, almost bricked mine 2 times.

valdigre wrote: »
    I have Wave myself and I really like it (moved from Samsung i8910 Omnia HD/Symbian phone). For this money, you cannot go wrong with it.

Just my advice, if you decide to buy it, don't buy it from any operator, buy Unbranded one from a mobile shop, because unbranded ones offer you frequent firmware update support in the future, while those branded ones - do not.

I made a mistake of buying Wave with 3 and I hate it, firmware updating is locked, not to mention simlock. Lot's of hacking to be done to update phone, almost bricked mine 2 times.

Why would 3 prevent you from updating the firmware? I've been with 3 for a few years now and have updated my Nokia phones with no problems.

As someone mentioned the Samsung Galaxy on this thread, I checked it out too. They have it on the 3 network now but the price is crazy in comparison with the Samsung Wave. Is all that down to the OS (Android vs Bada)?
    I've compared the 2 phones and to me the difference in the specs would certainly not justify the difference in the price.
    Your opinions would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If you like Samsungs, have you considered the Galaxy S?

Only €529 on Expansys.ie!

It's 479 in Carphone Warehouse on Vodafone RTG. Assume it's available of other networks too.

The Galaxy S and iPhone 4 are a similar class of phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

To be honest, i'd recommend the Galaxy S over the Wave. Android is the only OS that beats iOS at the moment and looks like it's heading to be the most popular Smartphone OS.

If you really want a Samsung, get the Galaxy S. But if you really want an Android, get the HTC Desire.

Lunabu wrote: »
    As someone mentioned the Samsung Galaxy on this thread, I checked it out too. They have it on the 3 network now but the price is crazy in comparison with the Samsung Wave. Is all that down to the OS (Android vs Bada)?
    I've compared the 2 phones and to me the difference in the specs would certainly not justify the difference in the price.
    Your opinions would be most welcome.

The only reason the Galaxy S costs so much more is because it runs Android. The Wave and Galaxy have pretty much the same hardware specs except for a larger screen on the Galaxy and a metal body and better build quality on the Wave.

If you want lots of apps then an iPhone or one that runs Android is the way to go, but they are expensive. If you just want a superb phone at a good price, the Wave is the best value on the market. Apps for it aren't great at the moment and may never be, but it is very usable with what it comes with straight out of the box.

The only reason the Galaxy S costs so much more is because it runs Android. The Wave and Galaxy have pretty much the same hardware specs except for a larger screen on the Galaxy and a metal body and better build quality on the Wave.

If you want lots of apps then an iPhone or one that runs Android is the way to go, but they are expensive. If you just want a superb phone at a good price, the Wave is the best value on the market. Apps for it aren't great at the moment and may never be, but it is very usable with what it comes with straight out of the box.
    Well, that's great, thanks.
    I won't be able to upgrade for another4 months or so, so I'm gonna watch developments closely. The 3 netowork will also be doing the HTC Desire, but I have no idea yet what price that will go for.
    Reckon the Wave would be right for me as I don't think that a multitude of apps would be that important for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Lunabu wrote: »
    Why would 3 prevent you from updating the firmware? I've been with 3 for a few years now and have updated my Nokia phones with no problems.

Well, 3 will let you only update their Wave's firmware with firmware from 3, right?

Their current firmware, installed on all Wave phones, is from April I think, and has lots of bugs and stability issues. Most of all, it hogs battery terribly (for now obvious reason) and the phone lasts for 24 hours... Standby only, no use!

I asked if they had newer firmware, they hadn't, so I hacked mine, unbranded and flashed newest firmware. Now it lasts me about week of standby only, or at least 2 days of my moderate use.

I would not count on 3 releasing update any soon, there aren't many Wave users on 3 network so why would they care? :/

Advertisement