Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity huge closing bill

Options
  • 29-07-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was living in an apartment for 8 months and used Airtricity.

They sent me a closing bill for 2 weeks usage (we were only in the aprtment for one of those weeks) and it was 280 euro. Now, we usually get a bill of 125 every 2 months.

Our letting agent took an actual reading when we first moved in but we though the 125 euro bill was a bit high as we are very careful with usage and try to keep all bills low so I used their website to send customer query. I got no response. I sent 3 e-mails, no response to each. I phoned them and I was told they're online meter reader is not working at the moment and to phone back with reading. I got Letting agency to come out again to take reading and I rang Airtricity again. I was told it was a bad time in between bills and to call back again next month. At this point, I didn't care if I was getting overcharged. Letting agent took actual reading when we moved out and gave to Airtricity.

Now, After I called them about closing bill, they said from their actual readings, they undercharged us 280 euro.

I'm all for paying my bills but I have enough on my plate with moving into new place. I said I tried to contact them multiple times, as above but they said I have to pay. I read that the electricity supplier has to take 4 readings a year by sending someone out or calling the customer (neither happened).

Will this charge still stand or do I have enough to make a complaint to cancel the charge?

Sorry for the long rant.

Thanks for any advice!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You used the electricity, didn't correct the estimated readings for 8 months, and you have to pay the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was living in an apartment for 8 months and used Airtricity.

They sent me a closing bill for 2 weeks usage (we were only in the aprtment for one of those weeks) and it was 280 euro. Now, we usually get a bill of 125 every 2 months.

Our letting agent took an actual reading when we first moved in but we though the 125 euro bill was a bit high as we are very careful with usage and try to keep all bills low so I used their website to send customer query. I got no response. I sent 3 e-mails, no response to each. I phoned them and I was told they're online meter reader is not working at the moment and to phone back with reading. I got Letting agency to come out again to take reading and I rang Airtricity again. I was told it was a bad time in between bills and to call back again next month. At this point, I didn't care if I was getting overcharged. Letting agent took actual reading when we moved out and gave to Airtricity.

Now, After I called them about closing bill, they said from their actual readings, they undercharged us 280 euro.

I'm all for paying my bills but I have enough on my plate with moving into new place. I said I tried to contact them multiple times, as above but they said I have to pay. I read that the electricity supplier has to take 4 readings a year by sending someone out or calling the customer (neither happened).

Will this charge still stand or do I have enough to make a complaint to cancel the charge?

Sorry for the long rant.

Thanks for any advice!!

Just take the meter reading when you moved in, what it is now and work out based on the rate their charging you what the actual cost is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Oh I get it, you were getting estimated bills:o. Oh dear, I think that's just unfortunate. I thought airtricity were more efficient than that. Thanks for the heads up on your situation

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Greaney wrote: »
    I thought airtricity were more efficient than that. Thanks for the heads up on your situation

Nothing to do with Airtricity, ESB Networks are the one's that go around and read the meeters not airtricity.

If ESB Networks can't get access to the meters to read them then your bill will be estimated unless you give ESB Networks your meeter readings.

Either way its still not airtricity's fault all the bills were estimated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nothing unique to Ireland either, we used to live in the Hague and were with a company called Eneco.

Breakdown in communication between myself and the missus (both thought the other did the meter reading)

Queue moving out, get a bill for 2700 euros ....

Managed to sort out paying it in Interest free installments though :)

Better to do it sooner than later as the meter doesnt show when you used it, so if the rate goes up in the mean time you end up paying at the higher kw/hour rate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Queue moving out, get a bill for 2700 euros ....

Ouch!
    Now thats a big electric bill

Advertisement