Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your RL Experience

Options
  • 29-07-2010 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

With the board being quiet recently, I thought I'd start a couple of threads...

So, What is everybody's experience with the game? Do you play/coach/support/fight it's corner to the death?

I moved over to Leeds 6 years ago after playing u20 RU in Dublin. Started playing student RL in Leeds and play for a club during the summer - first Bramley Buffaloes for a season and then Leeds Akkies since. As a student I played for Ireland Students (I think we were called Emerging Ireland or Ireland exiles) in the student regionals; the team was made up of lads from Widnes and a few from Leeds with irish parents.

Don't follow a SL team in particular - go to the odd Rhinos game. My favourite team of recent years was the Catalans team that went on a run to the semis last year... Greg Bird (ignoring his grublike behaviour in Oz) is the best player I've seen in SL.

So what about all the other regular posters? Sorry if you've all done this lots of times before but, well, I've no idea what everyone's involvement in the sport is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

seems as the topic has been started and to keep the momentum going .....

I played left wing all through school in Sydney back in the late 60s and early 70s in the Eastern Suburbs (Roosters territory).

Moved to Ireland many years ago but never played League here. I did qualify as a Union coach (2003) to help along a local club that my kid was playing for at the time but that's long past. A few years later I had a short peripheral involvement in coaching a League team here.

These days I just enjoy NRL and try to get back to Aust every few years to catch a few games and stuff. I've never gotten a handle on Super League so don't follow it but suppose that if I were to follow a team it would be Saints only because I did a Training session with them as a child when they were on tour in Australia (late 60s I think, team photo somewhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Bought up in a Rugby Union town, only ever really played in school (and was crap) on the wing. Had the dubious honour of being infamous at my middle school for knocking out a tooth tackling someone and crying like a girl!

RL experience has only ever been as a fan, have been to about a dozen live games only. Loved every minute, saw the win twice in that time!

Best trip by a mile was Catalans away, absolutely brilliant. (We lost) I have been to Wigan (lost) and Leeds (lost) and the home grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Grew up in Wakefield in the 1960's when Trinity actually had a successful team (yes I know that's hard to believe) crammed with star players.

Started playing RL at primary school, at full-back, moved into the three-quarters and later made it into Trinity's Junior team (the most successful player from that team was current Irish coach and former GB player Andy Kelly). Wasn't good enough to progress into the Colt's team so went to play for Eastmoor for a while before (ashamedly) turning to wendy-ball.

For my sins I am a share-holder of the Trinity Wildcats, but they, like the current team, are pretty worthless.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

I was born and bread in Widnes, so have been a life a long fan through the good times in the 70's and 80's and the very bad times. Moved to Ireland in 1999, but still follow them from a far and try to get to a match when I'm back in the town visiting family. My father and brother are still season ticket holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Born and bred Leeds. Got taught at school on a 4 week course by some Leeds players I think.

Was a Leeds season ticket holder for a good few years from about 10-20. Played from around u12's although I was also playing union at school at in the end concentrated on this for a couple of years around u18's when I was a very good prospect. Didn't like the fact that I was getting nowhere at that age as i went to the wrong school so went back to League. was going to Bulls Academy but didn't like the travelling and went to Uni where I played for the worst team I have ever been a member of, but it was good craic.

When I was back at Leeds I played for Crossgates WMC and then up at Kippax. Moved to Ireland 6 years ago and have been at the Eagles ever since. Firstly as a loud mouthed know it all who told the coaches they were doing it wrong and now as a coach who is doing it wrong.

I don't get to see much live anymore but am organising a trip to the GF again this year for some of the lads I play/train with. Hope the Rhions get a 4/4!

Just as an aside, if there is anyone who wants to get involved with RL in an administration rather than a playing role drop me a PM. We're are always desperately short of help in the running of the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 League Lover

I have two friends that were involved with Rugby League in Ireland and the way they were treated was a disgrace, RLI seem to have a "old school boys club" attitude and if your not in their circle or do exactly as they want they treat you like manure. I love the game but from what i'v seen i'd never get involved with them which is a sad reflection on such a great game. May be that comes from the fact that the majority involved are Union boys that cant get a position in Union so use League instead?? The way the game is going if it's not a Carlow V Titans final then its not fair. To many clubs and individuals aspecially have left the game so this has to be alarming to say the least. Now the game of Rugby League in Ireland is been controlled by English residence that seem to want to keep the Irish out. No good having a pop at my opinion as that is what i see going on, not that most of them are good but you no what they say about "one bad apple" so may be what i'v been told and see is correct, but i am always open to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MerryWhistleblo

I have two friends that were involved with Rugby League in Ireland and the way they were treated was a disgrace, RLI seem to have a "old school boys club" attitude and if your not in their circle or do exactly as they want they treat you like manure. I love the game but from what i'v seen i'd never get involved with them which is a sad reflection on such a great game. May be that comes from the fact that the majority involved are Union boys that cant get a position in Union so use League instead?? The way the game is going if it's not a Carlow V Titans final then its not fair. To many clubs and individuals aspecially have left the game so this has to be alarming to say the least. Now the game of Rugby League in Ireland is been controlled by English residence that seem to want to keep the Irish out. No good having a pop at my opinion as that is what i see going on, not that most of them are good but you no what they say about "one bad apple" so may be what i'v been told and see is correct, but i am always open to change.

So far wide of the mark, it should be a penalty.

I aren't going to argue everything you have written and from my point of view it sometimes appears that the RLI is a clique but they do seem to have RL and the good of the game at the heart of their interests no matter how some of the decision making looks from the outside.

Yes, Carlow and Titans are pretty much the strongest sides although in Leinster the Exiles pushed them close and then beat them. The last 3 SL GF have been contested between Leeds and St Helens. The other clubs over there don't seem to have given up and I'm pretty sure every year other clubs are hopeful of breaking the hold they have.

I agree that too many clubs and people have left the competition and I don't think the RLI do enough to help the clubs.

There are English people involved with the RLI, but it's the Irish who are in the controlling positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

You been watching SL lately? Brian Noble built something ridiculously awesome in Wigan. The last two years they could beat anyone on their day, this year with no injuries they're doing it. I may head to the GF for my first ever pro RL match.

amacachi wrote: »
    You been watching SL lately? Brian Noble built something ridiculously awesome in Wigan. The last two years they could beat anyone on their day, this year with no injuries they're doing it. I may head to the GF for my first ever pro RL match.

Would still have my money on ot being a Leeds vs Saints Final.
    Playoff footie is just a different level and I think Wigan will bottle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 XXVII

amacachi wrote: »

Interesting take on Wigan!

Walk around Wigan town and you will get very mixed views on whether Nobby “built” anything. One of his parting quotes was (to paraphrase) “I’ve built the bridge now it just needs to be painted”. He did a fantastic job of saving Wigan in 2006, but with 5 semi’s and no finals I used to wonder whether he was a genius, and the squad wasn’t good enough, or whether the squad was capable of better and the coach wasn’t up to it.

I think that question has been emphatically answered this year.

The “ridiculously awesome” stuff you see each week at Wigan with the same squad as last year is down to Maguire, Wane and Radlinski.

I thoroughly recommend a trip to the Grand Final regardless of who will be playing, but if you want to see top quality RL take a trip to the DW – easy to get to, and the facilities are the best in Super League.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 XXVII

Would still have my money on ot being a Leeds vs Saints Final.
    Playoff footie is just a different level and I think Wigan will bottle it.

Wigan have a bigger casualty list than any of the other contenders right now, so admittedly will find it tough to get there but I doubt it will be another Leeds v Saints final.

Well to be honest what was done to the people that I no of that were involved in Rugby League was an utter disgrace. They put their heart, soul and money into the game and were treated disgracefully by one man in RLI. Now their could be between 100-200 people not playing RL due to this along with lost sponsors, exposure etc. I feel the damage done is Irreversible to say the least. Their was a time when the Munster league was the strongest and now it’s a one team league!!!! With a token game now and again from a put together team (nothing wrong with this in the short term). I believe this is the reason RL will struggle to attract clubs and long term teams because of the actions of a few that destroy the enjoyment of many.
    Every sport has people that jockey for power and positions but it seems RL in Ireland have this down to a fine art. I really cant see any clubs wanting to get involved (long term) for the love of RL only to take what tips and technique's they can to another sport/code, this is not the way forward !!!!
    I no of these men personally and they would be treasured in any other sport but RL, It's a sad day when one man can do this damage to our great game so please drop any ambitions of a ESL franchise going forward while this situation continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kellco88

Have to say my experience has been very good with the RLI. I don't know the situation which league lover is speaking of so I won't remark on it as it would be silly to do so.

From my point of view RLI have the best interests of the game at heart. A hell of a lot of work is put in by a lot of people who get very little credit for it.

kellco88 wrote: »
    Have to say my experience has been very good with the RLI. I don't know the situation which league lover is speaking of so I won't remark on it as it would be silly to do so.

From my point of view RLI have the best interests of the game at heart. A hell of a lot of work is put in by a lot of people who get very little credit for it.
    I'm sure if you new the truth about what really went on you might have a different opinion. I'v found out more of what happened and it turns my stomack. I really cant see RL becoming anything but what it is, if the past is any indication. What i think will happen is a split between north and south with the north doing their own thing and the south just plodding along like they are. The north seem to have their act together but the south have some baggage to get rid off before they can move forward. I sure hope i'm incorrect on this for the sake of Rugby League.

Advertisement