Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next SL Licenses

Options
  • 29-07-2010 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

It's squeeky-bum time for a few SL clubs as The RFL start to look at the next round of franchises in 2012...

Who's coming up? Who's getting let go? Any potential surprise packages?

Coming up: I can see Widnes getting a license - big club, good fan base, very strong academy system and great RL stadium.

Of the others eligible:
    Fax - finally have their stadium sorted. They may struggle due to their proximity to Bradford. This could be an issue for Widnes too though as they're next door to Saints and Warrington.
    Barrow - poor ground. Great RL area but I think for Cumbria to have a SL team there would need to be a huge amount of cooperation between the three big clubs there.
    Batley - No chance IMO. Great success in the NRC but I think that's the height of it for them at the moment. Good Championship club though

Not sure who else is eligible just now. Fev are making noises and own alot of land around their ground so money isn't such an issue there. On-field performance is good. Leigh have a great stadium but may continue to be frustrated as they are on Wigan's doorstep

Going down?:
    Cas and Wakey have to be worried. Wakey have openly stated that they won't be ground sharing while Cas have said they're open to talks. Both have no interest in a merge. IMO something will have to give for them both to stay in as both have poor stadia

Salford. Appear to be further down the stadium line than most with work work having started. I think they're probably safe as they would continue to be the closest team to Manchester.

Quins - Who knows. It's a real struggle for them there but The RFL make no secret of the fact that they need a team in London.

Suprise Packages: Toulouse. They won't have hit the performance criteria but there are rumours that they will pull out of the Champ and apply under the "new foreign side" criteria (those aren't the right words actually). This is probably more likely to happen for the 2015 round of apps.
    Paris. Stade Francais' owner is a fan of SL and I've heard they're interested in running a side our of Paris. Nothing concrete though so who knows...

What does everyone think about the next round of applications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Widnes a shoe-in imo. Batley not a hope. Cas/Wakey got to be looking over their shoulders, also hearing rumours that the financials in N.Wales are not good....

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

toomevara wrote: »
    Widnes a shoe-in imo. Batley not a hope. Cas/Wakey got to be looking over their shoulders, also hearing rumours that the financials in N.Wales are not good....

Nobby seems to think they need some cash so you might well be right

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/celtic_crusaders/8855420.stm

AdeT wrote: »
    Nobby seems to think they need some cash so you might well be right

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/celtic_crusaders/8855420.stm

There's also a lot of rumour about Noble's future, not only re: his position at the Crusaders (he's not reached any agreement on a new contract yet), but there's also heavy speculation that he's abandoning RL altogether for Union. Fascinating short interview with him on this weeks Boots'n'All, highly recommend you catch it if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Would have thought that Cas/Wakey ground share would have been ideal for them from a financial point of view, but Wakefield not keen on the idea according to Castleford hierachy anyway.

On the Welsh side, the Crusaders chief exec has been sacked from the job he was doing at Wrexham FC and supposedly his job is not secure with Crusaders either, so a lot of unease there.

I think Quins should be in danger, much as I hate to say it, there have been pitiful attendances this year and the team have struggled all year (which may have some impact on attendance obviously but there is NO core support there at all).

Is there an obvious reason I am missing that you cant have a bigger league and change the fixtures so it doesnt add additional games to the season?

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Would have thought that Cas/Wakey ground share would have been ideal for them from a financial point of view, but Wakefield not keen on the idea according to Castleford hierachy anyway.

Definitely not on, they've both announced today that they're going to go their own ways. crazy stuff, and imo, one of these teams will not be in SL in the next few years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Cas need to go down they aren't the sort of club that SL should be promoting their fans in particular are probably the worst in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Being a Widnes fan I am beginning to be hopeful from the most recent noises coming from the League and the Rugby League press. However we have been here before and so I won't count my chickens until the announcement is made next year.

I still don't agree with the franchise system however, I still P&R should exist with playing performance being the most important factor.

Of the current Super League Clubs I think Cas, Wakey and Salford are the most at risk, however who knows what's going on behind the closed doors at Crusaders and Quinns. Of the teams in trouble I would most like to see Salford go down.

Toulouse could be the dark horses, but the RFL may have been stung over what happened the last time with Crusaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Cas and Wakey are engaging in a game of brinkmanship in the fairly certain knowledge that the winner will take all and the loser is destined for the National League.

Both clubs are prepared to allow the other team to share 'their' proposed stadium, but neither of them are prepared to take up that offer, believing (probably correctly) that RFL will push them into merger, therefore the 'home' team will retain their identity more so than tenant.

Wakey claim they can have their stadium completed in 46 week, and in time for 2012, if the Council grant planning permission in September.

Cas have had planning permission since 2005 (are in danger of it expiring shortly) but clearly have a serious problem with funding the stadium.

The danger is both clubs could end up losing their franchise, which would be a disaster for game, given that the area is a hotbed for the development of some of the games greatest players.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 XXVII

Salford have made some very big signings recently, so they must be pretty confident of retaining their licence. Come application time, their stadium will be closer to completion then either Cas or Wakey (or even Saints) and I expect their on field performance to improve in 2011 also.

The recent announcement that one Championship side (obviously Widnes) will get a licence is both an admission that the RFL made a huge mistake last time, and a warning to Cas and Wakey re promises made in the last licence application that have not been kept.

I reckon London & “Wales” are safe for now, with either Cas or Wakey to go. Could even happen (if based on stadium facilities) we see Leigh in alongside Widnes with both Cas and Wakey out.

It always amazes me when people defend Cas and Wakey stating that it’s a “hotbed” of rugby league. Just how many of the first team players are a direct result of their youth development system?

If Superleague status is so important to the fans of each club, why are the weekly attendances so low?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'd like to see the competition expanded this time. Add Toulouse to boost the international appeal and either Widness or a combined Cumbrian side.

It's a shame that there is no Midlands side playing and looking for a spot as it would be an ideal place to expand. Perhaps Coventry will grow?

I'd like to see consolidation of clubs in the heartlands with Fev/Cas and Wakey merging as was mooted 15 years ago. Perhaps better would be to create a new team altogether "Cas Vegas Slappers" with new stadium in glasshoughton and let the 3 existing clubs be relegated and act as feeders if they want to remain independent. While we're at it merge Leigh and Wigan and then Warrington and Widness. Jobs a good 'un.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see the competition expanded this time. Add Toulouse to boost the international appeal and either Widness or a combined Cumbrian side.

It's a shame that there is no Midlands side playing and looking for a spot as it would be an ideal place to expand. Perhaps Coventry will grow?

I'd like to see consolidation of clubs in the heartlands with Fev/Cas and Wakey merging as was mooted 15 years ago. Perhaps better would be to create a new team altogether "Cas Vegas Slappers" with new stadium in glasshoughton and let the 3 existing clubs be relegated and act as feeders if they want to remain independent. While we're at it merge Leigh and Wigan and then Warrington and Widness. Jobs a good 'un.

Spot on all round. Got to get another French side in the comp, I think that could be the tipping point for RL in France, two SL sides. Imagine that first SL Gallic derby in Toulouse/Perpignan...sign me up. Only thing I'd say is as many French players as humanly possible, avoiding loads of super-annuated aussies. Got to do something about Cumbrian RL, surely a sleeping giant of the game, how that gets accommodated/pushed is another day's work.

As for Cas/Wakey they're living in cloud cuckoo land. In the current climate, two stadiums f similar size within a stones throw of each other catering to two clubs whose gates this year have been dire, just aint going to happen. i get the sense that these guys may rue their inabilty to get round a table and come up with a plan to secure both their future's in SL.

But given events in Quins of late, especially with McDermott jumping ship I'm worried about the top level game in Blighty. Interesting times ahead for the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I used to be dead set aginst the ideas of mergers and franchising but I think it is the way to go if RL is to succeed and comete against RU.

It allows the clubs to put a five year plan in place without the threat of that all being undone by relegation and also allows clubs to take a couple of years to blood youngsters and build a team up to challenge rather than an instant fix of signing three Aussies.

In my mind Cumbria is much more important than Widness.

Do you think there will ever be an Irish side looking for a SL franchise?

I don't. Not in my life time anyway.

Do you think there will ever be an Irish side looking for a SL franchise?

I don't. Not in my life time anyway.

Never happen (alas). Weird attitude to RL in Ireland, nobody really understands or gets the game, and its just not promoted well enough. When I bring people to Headingley they cant believe how good it is, especially my non RU watching mates and I've made many converts but it just doesn't seem to capture the sporting consciousness in Ireland, also the sporting scene is just too crowded. Only way it could happen is if a wealthy individual was prepared to invest heavily in a club like Toulon's Boudjellal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 League Lover

Widnes for Super League, come on the Vikings.

Salford's stadium has been given the go ahead, so it would seem that the Reds are safe...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/salford/8929779.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

But given events in Quins of late, especially with McDermott jumping ship I'm worried about the top level game in Blighty. Interesting times ahead for the game...

So, I come home from holiday and find the coaching position at Quins is on a par with an assistants job at Leeds, probably about right. His (on the way to) parting shot about finances at Quins may be true, but don't think it is helpful in breeding confidence in keeping them afloat. Sadly he wont be missed by many in London. Bit of a shame when fans think of the budget he is working on, and just how many English players he now has at the club. Terrible season but, up until this recent quote, has done everything he can to fly the flag for RL in London/the south.

Huge rumour that might have some basis in truth is Harlequins/rebranded southern team may move to Milton Keynes and stadium MK. Personally I think it would be a great move, a far easier to access place for supporters outside London but easy enough for any of the dwindling current fans to get to. C'mon the MK QUINS!!!!

dooferoaks wrote: »

Huge rumour that might have some basis in truth is Harlequins/rebranded southern team may move to Milton Keynes and stadium MK. Personally I think it would be a great move, a far easier to access place for supporters outside London but easy enough for any of the dwindling current fans to get to. C'mon the MK QUINS!!!!

I've heard this floated too, whatever the solution, something's got to be done because as it stands SL rugby at the Stoop is reaching the point where its no longer viable. This, given all the development work thats been done and the huge effort put into all aspects of the game by staff at Quins at all levels of the game is a huge, huge sickener.

To see all that lost would be devastating. All those academy/youth players and feeder teams would be gobbled up by union in a heart beat. Also I think alot of the fans in the game's traditional heartland really need to abandon their appalling conservatism and realise how important the development of the game in the south is for the future of the sport.

Advertisement