Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of all .ie domains

Options
  • 29-07-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,
    Is it possible to get a list of every .ie domain registered? I know you can search for them individually but a complete list would be interesting.
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

After a quick flick through the IEDRs WHOIS T&Cs/AUP I very much doubt it...

If you were to search for them individually (and comply with their WHOIS AUP) it would take you over 4 years (35,615 hrs) to get the data on 148,395 domains!

http://iedr.ie/DomainCount.php
    http://iedr.ie/whois/whoisAUP.php
    http://iedr.ie/whois/whoisTC.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

No - you can't

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

You could create a whois script and start at www.aaa.ie and go through all the letters/number combination and end at the maximum allowed characters for .ie (probably 64).
    The script will probably run for severals months/years though ;)

You could create a whois script and start at www.aaa.ie and go through all the letters/number combination and end at the maximum allowed characters for .ie (probably 64).
    The script will probably run for severals months/years though ;)

There's a limit on the number of lookups per IP per day, so that wouldn't work too well ...

Blacknight wrote: »
    There's a limit on the number of lookups per IP per day, so that wouldn't work too well ...

You don't have to do a direct request, you can always use public databases, like who.is, whois.internic.net, whois.networksolutions.com.

But I did run a PHP script on .net domains and sent about 15,000 requests over a day.

• Advertisement

You don't have to do a direct request, you can always use public databases, like who.is, whois.internic.net, whois.networksolutions.com..

The only one of those that will return results for .ie domains is who.is
    But I did run a PHP script on .net domains and sent about 15,000 requests over a day.
    .net is a thin registry, so the whois is served by the registrars not the registry

There are several 1000 whois websites out there, I am sure he would find enough as a workaround to the IP issue.

But still pointless since it takes days, weeks, months and by that time several have domains have expired, newly created or had an owner change.

But why would anyone want a full list of all registered .ie domains? Just curiosity or is there a real purpose behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

But why would anyone want a full list of all registered .ie domains? Just curiosity or is there a real purpose behind it?
    A bit of both :-P I think there's a place for a searchable website (i.e. directory) listing all registered domains. Even better if it get updated automatically from whois databases...the domain name, date registered, expiry date, etc...

A bit of both :-P I think there's a place for a searchable website (i.e. directory) listing all registered domains. Even better if it get updated automatically from whois databases...the domain name, date registered, expiry date, etc...

The IEDR runs the only WHOIS database for .ie and they will not allow anyone to do what you are talking about for a number of reasons.

A lot of the data you are talking about isn't public knowledge ..

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Blacknight wrote: »
    No - you can't

Blacknight - do you still have that list of .ie expired domains? There were some great ones on that list. This would be a good place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

tricky D wrote: »

Good one tricky! I picked up another massive keyword .ie site here!

Advertisement