Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone else's NTL broadband reception gone to **** lately?

• 29-07-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

I live down near the Crane bar. Reception keeps cutting out every few minutes, pages take ages to load...been like this for a few days now. Really annoying. Rang them there but they're asking for a load of personal details from the account-holder which i don't have. helpful as ever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

yes, same here. It seems my received signal is very low and kept loosing connection (You can check this on modem webpage or by the modem LEDs).
    Called em, they sent round technician. Said the problem was outside but cuddn't get access to street box as was covered by car.
    My workaround was to put the modem on an outlet closer to the street, and it's just about enough now.
    However as a result my wireless signal is low in places and cuts out sometimes :(
    Need to call em again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Kept going down randomly all last week, for an hour at a time. So annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

if the online light on the modem is off or flashing then the problem is probably on their end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

No problems in Ballybane, still so much faster than in FÁS...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brainache

It's been cutting out on and off all week here (docks) as well, pure annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

harryd2 wrote: »
    if the online light on the modem is off or flashing then the problem is probably on their end

yeah, the light is flashing like mad. literally non-stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Rang them there but they're asking for a load of personal details from the account-holder which i don't have. helpful as ever.

You don't have the details of the account that you are using and it's their fault ?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

You don't have the details of the account that you are using and it's their fault ?

i had the account number and address. i don't know why that's not enough for them to tell me why the reception keeps cutting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

We have their 30Mb connection here in 091 Labs. This is about the fastest we've gotten:

896297162.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

spender.j wrote: »
    No problems in Ballybane, still so much faster than in FÁS...:eek:
    Had some problems last week in Ballybane, taking ages to load page/cutting out, but ok the last 5-6 days again... Usually no problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

harryd2 wrote: »
    yes, same here. It seems my received signal is very low and kept loosing connection (You can check this on modem webpage or by the modem LEDs).
    Called em, they sent round technician. Said the problem was outside but cuddn't get access to street box as was covered by car.
    My workaround was to put the modem on an outlet closer to the street, and it's just about enough now.
    However as a result my wireless signal is low in places and cuts out sometimes :(
    Need to call em again.

don't forget when you are wireless you only get 54% of the connection than when when wired as in modem cable to pc you get 100% that it's self is a factor..

but hey who cares when ya can get the neighbours free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    don't forget when you are wireless you only get 54% of the connection than when when wired as in modem cable to pc you get 100% that it's self is a factor..

Incorrect. I believe you are confusing that with the 54Mbps download limit on an 802.11g network. If you work using an unobstructed wireless signal then you can get 100% of the download speed. No one in the country currently offers faster than 30Mbps, so the 54Mbps argument is rendered useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

True.
    I use wireless and regularly get 14.7Mb download speeds on a 15Mb NTL / UPC connection

Advertisement