Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland AM this morning - neglected horses.

Options
  • 29-07-2010 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Anyone else see Ireland AM this morning? They showed footage of some scumbag wrapping a rope around a foals legs & pulling hard on the rope.
    Also showed images of other horses that were abused & neglected.

My blood is still boiling from seeing it. If I ever came across someone torturing or abusing animals then I think I'd end up attacking them.

Has anyone ever come across a situation where they see an animal being abused? And if you have what did you do?

Jesus I still can't get over the fact that there are some really stupid & heartless people out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I didn't see that, I wouldn't have been able to watch it anyways. Why was he pulling the foals leg with a rope? Like, just for 'fun'?
    I'm glad they've highlighted this kind of disgusting behaviour, I thankfully have never come across anyone actually abusing an animal, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to control myself if I did though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I can't watch anything like that on TV, things stick with me forever.

I've been in a few situations where I've seen animal abuse (I used to work as Vet nurse and we were often called about local cruelty cases) and each time I've stepped in and done something about it. I couldn't let it go. One situation got very ugly and my boss at the time had to get stitches in his face after it. That didn't put me off though, I could never witness cruelty to an animal and not do anything about it, something else kicks in when I see something like that and my own safety goes out the window. That's probably very stupid of me but it would go against everything I believe in and stand for if I didn't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

AH think they showed it on TV 3 later,so upsetting. I was raging after,this country should be ashamed of ourselves. For a people who place importance on education we have got to be some of the most ignorant sickening barbarians out there. :mad::mad::mad:

This stuff is par for the course, i know a girl who tried to help a horse that was left on the green outside her house. She rang EVERYONE and no one would help. She isn't involved with animals and so didnt have a clue where to start phoning but she got laughed at by everyone she did call. The council denied any accountability, the gardai couldnt even advise her and the rescue she called said they didnt deal with horses. :mad::mad: They do but for what ever reason didnt help her.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I really think that Ireland has a disgustingly high rate of animal cruelty and animal abuse compared to other developed countries. Perhaps it's because we're not as developed socially as other societies, and I do not know if statistics are out there to show this but this is my gut feeling.:(

For example, the amount of abandoned dogs and cats in Ireland is simply shocking. The endless amount of stories of neglected animals, especially starving and diseased farm animals and domestic pets is sickening.:mad:

I think is says a lot about a culture and society from the way it treats its animals.

It's also been shown that high rates of animals cruelty are linked closely to high rates of child abuse and violence in a society generally. Children who have been abused are more likely to abuse animals in turn and later go on to abuse other people, often children.

It's also been shown that many serial killers in the USA started off their sadist practices by torturing and killing animals as children before progressing to human victims in adulthood.:(

Some food for thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

sambuka41 wrote: »
    AH think they showed it on TV 3 later,so upsetting. I was raging after,this country should be ashamed of ourselves. For a people who place importance on education we have got to be some of the most ignorant sickening barbarians out there. :mad::mad::mad:

This stuff is par for the course, i know a girl who tried to help a horse that was left on the green outside her house. She rang EVERYONE and no one would help. She isn't involved with animals and so didnt have a clue where to start phoning but she got laughed at by everyone she did call. The council denied any accountability, the gardai couldnt even advise her and the rescue she called said they didnt deal with horses. :mad::mad: They do but for what ever reason didnt help her.

:eek::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I really think that Ireland has a disgustingly high rate of animal cruelty and animal abuse compared to other developed countries. Perhaps it's because we're not as developed socially as other societies, and I do not know if statistics are out there to show this but this is my gut feeling.:(

For example, the amount of abandoned dogs and cats in Ireland is simply shocking. The endless amount of stories of neglected animals, especially starving and diseased farm animals and domestic pets is sickening.:mad:

I think is says a lot about a culture and society from the way it treats its animals.

Yeah I agree. I think it says a lot about our attitudes towards animals in general, that its fine to have horses in housing estates and that abusing them is accepted behaviour. Also that a child can buy a horse for €20 in a market,theres no value placed on the lives of any kind of animal. Educated people,yeah right! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Being able to keep a horse in a housing estate, at this day and age, is just insane...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Oh please stop giving out about Ireland, every single country in the world has animal abuse.

I remember someone down the road telling me about a donkey he came across, a couple of scumbags tied it to a tree and started throwing darts at him. How could someone do that? Anyone caught abusing an animal like that should not be living among decent members of society.

Is there not requirements for keeping horses? Is it licensed? There are so many muppets with horses. Why are they not being taken away?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Oh please stop giving out about Ireland, every single country in the world has animal abuse.
    y muppets with horses. Why are they not being taken away?

Oh I'm sure animal cruelty happens in every other country, but it's the extent and amount of it that seems to be very high in Ireland.

I also agree that many horse owners should not be in possession of these animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure animal cruelty happens in every other country, but it's the extent and amount of it that seems to be very high in Ireland.

I also agree that many horse owners should not be in possession of these animals.

No, I don't agree with that at all. We just don't hear about abuse cases in other countries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement