Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Few from Auckland Zoo

• 29-07-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

4839311397_8c4f7a9ca9_b.jpg

4839305367_9f5bd4e04a.jpg

4839306147_591a62db41_b.jpg

4839913582_5ce1ac61bc.jpg

4839305091_e2eae17e83_b.jpg

4839912956_e57aac1d7a_b.jpg
    Baby Orangutan approves of this rope.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The photo of the Macaw(?) is brilliant!

The rest are good, But a bit kind of normal for zoo images, if you get me. But there's just something about the lighting of the macaw which makes it my favourite. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

They're all good, but I really love that Orangutan shot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Love the Tiger shots, but then, I love tigers. Keep meaning to get to the zoo myself, but so much on lately.

It's hard not to get the usual zoo shots, it'd be nice to get the tigers play-fighting or one of them mid-roar! The parrot[?] shot is dead cool. I know nothing about birds obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Thanks for the comments guys, its a great zoo for having a wander about and a lot of the animals there are great characters so makes for interesting shooting.

Light wasn't spectacular on the day but some sunshine made an appearance every now and then.

The parrot (still not sure exactly what type of bird it is) shot was my favourite of the lot too, just seemed to come out like he's giving a media interview and leaning into the microphone!

Another favourite:
    4839297097_d10a25c066.jpg
    Doing an impression of Marlon Brando in the God Father

4839291379_408ffac9cf_b.jpg
    Home most people feel on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The macaw shot is great - but I also really like the first tiger picture. When you look at it, each of the tigers is doing something different with different facial expressions. Really nice.

• Advertisement

Yeah, first tiger shot is very nice, all [bar one] of their eyes open and clear, well exposed. The one with eyes closed still works as it looks like she's purring :) And [I presume] the male standing over her is watching you with a "Eyes off her mate" look :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I love the photo of the baby Orangutan he/she is so cute with the big lip, I have been to Auckland Zoo and it is one of the best for getting up and close to the animals

Oooh, didn't see the Lion shot earlier, lovely. I'd crop in closer to his nose though. Seems a bit elongated. Cool shot though. Ahhhh ooooooh .... the lion sleeps tonight ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

stunning IQ on them, what equip was used ?

the_monkey wrote: »
    what equip was used ?

Nikon D3 and 70-200 f/2.8 VRI was what was used for the entire trip. Must look in to getting an extender either 1.4 or a 2x to hell. 200mm isn't quite close enough, there was some major cropping on some of those shots.

Auckland Zoo seem interested in having some of them used in their magazine so will see how that turns out :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

ok the d3 is equivalent of a canon 1d or 1ds ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Since the new 1D IV is now crop (1.3) I'd say the 1D III is it's rival.

If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be made to walk the plank ala Cagey. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

The 1D3 poised as Canon's equivalent to the D3.
    Since the new 1D IV is now crop (1.3) I'd say the 1D III is it's rival.

If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be made to walk the plank ala Cagey. :)

The 1D3 and 1D4 are both APS-H (1.3x crop factor). Canon also makes the FF 1Ds3, although that is probably more analogous to the D3x in that it is meant for producing high resolution images and isn't geared towards high-ISO performance or a large number of frames per second.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

The Tiger photos are excelllent.

Turns out they might be interested in using a few of the tiger photos for their Magazine that they publish quaterly I think, tried to push for some free passes for the Zoo in exchange for the use of them (would suit me fine as I think it's a great place) so the ball is in their court now , just waiting to hear back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

The photos are fab, well done. I particularly like the one of the Lion. It's like he is trying to squeeze his eyes shut to block everything out and go back to sleep. Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

stunning photos. love the sharpness and colour.

Advertisement