Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homework help for 1st class.

Options
  • 29-07-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Our little one is starting first class and I'm worried about their progress in reading and writing. They are in a creche until 6pm daily and I cannot get the attention they need on the education side of things. I feel that is my responsibility and I'm struggling to see how I can improve the situation?

What do other parents in the same situation do?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Does their school have a home work club?
    What is the creches policy on homework?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

Just take a little time in the evening to do their homework 15 to 30 minutes at this stage is usually long enough. Reading a bed time story helps as well. Lots of pens and paper at home and encouragement to draw pictures etc at home. Should be a natural progression and enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 redhed35

reading to your child and helping them read will greatly help their progress in school.

there are educational dvd's and cd's available for parents.

helping her write simple things or drawing will also help her hand to eye coordination.

it does take time,but the payoffs are immense,not only does your child get extra one on one time with you,but you will also have a clear idea of how your child getting on at school.

using fridge magnets to help her spell out words,colourful posters in her room dipicting differant cultures or planets,anything that will stimulate her mind will have a great effect on her school work and general confidence.

if you have specific issues relating to the classroom,perhaps a parent/teacher meeting will help put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

Thanks for the replies.
    She loves drawing and has a great imagination. We read her stories most nights and she has love these.
    There are a couple of her classmates in the creche and the minders do what little homework they get with them.

I suppose I'm just concerned that I'm abdicating my responsibility for teaching her when it is something I should be doing.

Does anyone have a routine at home that might help. Normally, she is collected and home by 6 when she gets a bite to eat and then some play time. I think I need to set up some formal one to one time for homework?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My daughter has just finished first class and I found that the homework really ramped up this year. She's grand with the spelling and reading but found the sums really hard. By mid-year they'll be adding and subtracting double figures e.g. 42+17 etc,). Maybe you could pre-empt some of this by number games at weekends and making it fun so the work doesn't seem so new and hard. Have her read you a bedtime story some nights :D

I find that if they don't do their homework early then it's way harder for them especially if its something that requires concentration like sums. One to one time is good even if it's to look over what she's already done but she'll see that it's important to you. I had to sign off on my daughters homework this year. I don't know if that's standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My daughter just finished 1st also and although there was a lot more homework I also noticed how she progressed much more quickly then the last 2 years. I know some kids in her class did attend extra classes within the school to help them if they were falling behind so maybe contact the school and see if these are available, usually they are especially for kids who are struggling about, my daughters school was great with this, I know some of her friends who werent necessarily struggling but just needing that extra few minutes were given extra classes to ge them up to speed.

Advertisement