Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be concerned?

• 29-07-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi, I'm on UPC BB. Some time ago broadband in our entire area was down for a day or so. When it eventually came back I noticed that our WAN IP was on a completely different subnet. I didn't think too much of it at the time. Then while in a neighbours house that also has UPC, I noticed that their current subnet was the same as our old one and not our new one. So I checked with a few other UPC BB users nearby and none of them share the same subnet as us. It now starts with 109.x.x.x as opposed to the old 89.x.x.x (which all my neighbours are still on). However when I do a trace route from a machine on my wireless network to some host out on the Internet, I notice that the traffic goes from my router (LAN IP) through a blank record then through this 109.x.x.x WAN IP and then on to what is clearly a ntl hostname comprising of numbers that look like an IP 89.x.x.x.

So I start to get paranoid thinking jesus is there a man somewhere in the middle there between my home router and my ISP. When I browse the web and look from an external perspective I'm browsing from this 109.x.x.x address. When I do a speedtest, it says UPC is my ISP and it gets my region correct. However when I first suspected something was up, speedtest did tell me that my IP was based in Dublin, now it says Galway (which is correct).

Now today I decided to have a look at one of the geo IP tools to see really where this IP is located and I see that it's blacklisted as a source of spam in many databases (spamhaus.org, etc). Now I know IPs on UPC are dynamically allocated, but they don't change that often. I have never sent a spam message in my life, my computers do not have viruses or are acting suspiciously. So what the hell is that about?

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Should I be concerned? Should I contact my ISP and question them over this?. My connection to the web is working fine, the only slight problem I can report is that I'm using a VOIP telephony service (not with UPC) and that has not been as reliable for some time now. It works, but incoming calls sometimes don't get routed to their destination in the house, which means that I only find out about a missed call from an online call log as opposed to a phone that rang out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Look up the new external IP on ripe and see if its owned by UPC.

I dont think its the subnets that changed? Just a new WAN IP address

Could be lots of reasons for this, a new DHCP assignment system or what not

On Eircom for ages I was routed through a blank record after my router lan ip, it went away after a while

To be honest i think your being paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I wouldn't be too concerned, I'm also on a 109.xxx.xxx.xxx address (Dublin). Previously it was an 89.xxx.xxx.xxx and before that a 79.xxx.xxx.xxx one. I imagine there's a hell of a lot of backhaul work going on in preparation for the 100Mb+ packages they're due to release shortly, which'll require higher bandwidth links to global network carriers, changes and upgrades in routing paths etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

No need to be concerned.
    I've had 79.xxx.xxx.xxx/89.xxx.xxx.xxx/109.xxx.xxx.xxx IP addresses from UPC over the last couple of years.

They have addresses on all three ranges and probably a few more too for all I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

wouldnt worry about it ip ranges change alot..with vodafone DSL they have the 89.xx range and during the night after 12am it changes to the 109.xx range

Advertisement