Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pizza in the city?

Options

Comments

La Tana on barrack street, great pizza, wedges with garlic dip are insanely good. Uncle Petes are outstanding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

La Tana on barrack street, great pizza, wedges with garlic dip are insanely good. Uncle Petes are outstanding too.

disagree on la tana - one should be able to eat pizza by the hand - la tana is more like an unwrapped kebab - or so i found anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

chakotha wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Rising Sons?

Yep, pizza there is pretty good. It's quite specific with the toppings though, so for fussy eaters it might be troublesome. They're also not very large, though the size was fine for me.

As for best pizza in Cork I vote Fran well. Every pizza I've had there has been awesome, though I am yet to try the white one with potato which all my Italian friends rave about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

sporina wrote: »
    disagree on la tana - one should be able to eat pizza by the hand - la tana is more like an unwrapped kebab - or so i found anyway

Agree on that.

As for this thread, it's like asking "What's the best colour" really! It's too subjective a topic and comes down to what people like...

IMO Novecento is about the only place in Cork that does a "proper" pizza like the Italians do them. Nowhere else comes close IMO.

But (as is normal with food topics in Ireland) not everyone sees that as being the best type of pizza! Some people prefer loads of toppings and thicker bases etc. etc.

People go on about pizzas in Sober Lane being great.... but they are the type of things that you wouldnt get from a takeaway in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭Doge

An Italian friend of mine reckons the best pizza he has had in Cork is in La Dolce Vita near St. Fin Barres cathedral.

Anyone ever tried there? Surprised there's no mention of it in the thread.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    An Italian friend of mine reckons the best pizza he has had in Cork is in La Dolce Vita near St. Fin Barres cathedral.

Anyone ever tried there? Surprised there's no mention of it in the thread.

yeah i had pizza there once but tbh I the only thing I can remember about it is that I had one with an italian sausage on it and it repeated on me allllll night long - nightmare - i was eating it for 24 hrs - probably no fault to the creator - i forgot that alot of those cured/fermented meats have this effects on me - like i cannot eat pepperoni/salami/chorizo etc for the same reason…

so i do not remember what the actual pizza was like.. i wish i could say the same for the garlicky italian sausage,… shudder..:mad::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Have to say that La Dolce Vita (formerly Probys), does a great Pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

overmantle wrote: »
    Have to say that La Dolce Vita (formerly Probys), does a great Pizza.

Ya they do, its a proper stone oven too built by its predecessor The Brick Oven who also did a pretty good pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

You should stick a bar or poll on top of this thread so I can see whos winning properly. Was just looking going dya know a nice pizza out would be good but the thread is a bugger to read through.. Must say the nicest one I have had out is Del Arte in Mahon Point, in saying that I haven't gone out and ordered pizza for a main.. But you cant go wrong with theres

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

Uncle petes and Novacento.

Must try sober lane can you get a take away or delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Out of the places i have tried, Uncle Petes for me is always savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Out of the places i have tried, Uncle Petes for me is always savage.

Do they do take out from the place on Paul Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

evilivor wrote: »
    Do they do take out from the place on Paul Street?
    I am sure they do, i thought i seen someone walk in having phoned ahead and picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I am sure they do, i thought i seen someone walk in having phoned ahead and picked it up.

Thanks - Pope's Quay was handier when it was open but good to know if I'm stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Is Lucianos still open on the grand parade. I havent been for a stroll around town in a long time but that used to be a pretty good pizza. It even tasted good the odd time i was in there sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Anyone tried Apache in douglas? €9.99 for a large pizza :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Anyone tried Apache in douglas? €9.99 for a large pizza :pac:

It sucks. Toppings fall off as soon as you pull a slice. Undercooked processed muck.

Dominos is much better if you are looking for a takeaway 'chain' pizza. Coupon code CLLG2015 will get you a large for a tenner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Palmento Douglas is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Techmaster wrote: »
    It sucks. Toppings fall off as soon as you pull a slice. Undercooked processed muck.

Dominos is much better is you are looking for a takeaway 'chain' pizza. Coupon code CLLG2015 will get you a large for a tenner too.

You're a bloody legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I enjoyed La Dolce Vita for pizza a couple of days ago. Would recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

kcb wrote: »
    Agree on that.

As for this thread, it's like asking "What's the best colour" really! It's too subjective a topic and comes down to what people like...

IMO Novecento is about the only place in Cork that does a "proper" pizza like the Italians do them. Nowhere else comes close IMO.

But (as is normal with food topics in Ireland) not everyone sees that as being the best type of pizza! Some people prefer loads of toppings and thicker bases etc. etc.

People go on about pizzas in Sober Lane being great.... but they are the type of things that you wouldnt get from a takeaway in Italy.

Who actually gives a **** about this though? As long as it's tasty I really don't care how "authentic" it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

PizzAmore around Gilabbey street is actually quite decent! I thought it was an "Irish" style pizza place (massive thick doughy base, drenched in sauce and salt), but it's comparable to Novecento if you're into the "authentic" stuff.

I have given La Tana a go twice now, won't go back. The pizza falls to pieces the second you pick it up. So soggy.

yeah Novecento is by far the best in the city - i need to rem to ask them to go easy on the cheese though..

Had la Tana once and while it was nice I could not hold the slice in my hand as it would fall apart.. would not revisit..

I wish Novecento did a 10 " though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

28srf0c wrote: »
    PizzAmore around Gilabbey street is actually quite decent! I thought it was an "Irish" style pizza place (massive thick doughy base, drenched in sauce and salt), but it's comparable to Novecento if you're into the "authentic" stuff.

I have given La Tana a go twice now, won't go back. The pizza falls to pieces the second you pick it up. So soggy.

I think that place is owned by the Italian guy who had the restaurant in the Mardyke complex for a while a couple of years ago. I'd imagine it's good alright.

In fairness the general quality of pizza in the city has improved. I've had/seen decent pizzas in Rising Sons, Reardens, sober Lane recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

kcb wrote: »
    In fairness the general quality of pizza in the city has improved.

Agreed. I even had a pretty good pizza in the Woodford the other day, if you're into Italian style, thin bottom, not a lot of toppings type pizza I recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

rising sons. Really fresh and they give you tobassco sauce with it, yum. Pizza and a pint for a tenner too alot of the time, which is ridiculous value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

+1 for novecento also. Great pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Zuzi

heya!

about best pizza it really depends on your personal taste.
    From my side, I'm Italian, I would say that in the city center you should try Novecento, but you can just get in Douglas you will get the best of the best at Palmento.

enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I really love the pizza out the back of the Franciscan Well.

Well worth the tenner and the queue.

• Advertisement

I really love the pizza out the back of the Franciscan Well.

Well worth the tenner and the queue.

its nice but bery greasy - difficult to eat by hand and they only have a very small variety of toppings - but yes, essentially - the taste is good..

Advertisement