Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COMPETITION] Win tickets to All Ireland Quarter Finals in Croke Park this weekend

Options
  • 29-07-2010 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

We have got 20 pairs of tickets to give away to each of the All Ireland Quarter Final Football matches in Croke Park this weekend.

Croke%20Park.jpg

On Saturday, July 31 there's Kerry vs Down and Dublin vs Tyrone

and on

Sunday August 1 there's Roscommon vs Cork and Meath vs Kildare

It's all thanks to Culgreen.ie, the initiative from the ESB and the GAA that aims to make Croke Park a carbon neutral stadium. From the website:
    It is a state of the art environmental-improvement programme covering the stadium's electricity, waste and water management systems.

So far, this work has resulted in:
    • 11.69% less electricity used in 2009 compared to 2008
    • 51.9% of waste being recycling and reused compared to 21% in 2008
    • Saving of 312,000 litres of water per day
    • ISO14001 Certification
    • First stadium in the world to receive a BS8901 certification

To win the tickets, we'd like you to get involved in carbon saving.

Over on Cúlgreen you'll see the many pledges people have made to help with carbon saving. There's a wide variety there.

You can also register to help them make their initiative happen.

We'd like to know what energy saving pledge you'll make below. No jokes please - to get the tickets you need to take this as seriously as Cúlgreen are.

Post your pledge and which day you'd like tickets for. Tickets will need to be collected from the GAA ticket office at Croke Park.

We'll pick the winners on Friday morning at 11am.

Cheers

Darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

pledge :
    I will shut down my PC and switch off my monitor at the end of every working day.

I would like tickets for the Dubs game on saturday.

rgds,

Gollem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Pledge:

I will unplug my tv, chargers, entertainment centre and other electronic devices when they are not in use.
    I won't turn on my heating for the winter until November. Not til after that, if I can get away with it!

I'd like tickets for the Meath V Kildare match on Sunday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Pledge:Switch off the tumble dryer and hang the clothes out on a washing line and to switch all appliances off rather than leave on standby.

I;d like the tickets for Sundays game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Pledge: To unplug the devices in my house which draw ridiculous power when on standby - Plasma TV, phone chargers etc.

Predictably I too would like to tickets for the Dubs, I need something to remove the scars on my mind from being on the hill for the Kerry game last year..........this game could make things worse though!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

I will walk anywhere less than 15 minutes away instead of bringing the car whenever possible, i will also switch off all electronic equipment instead of leaving on stand-by.

I would like tickets for Meath v Kildare on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

• I will use my bike for any short trips.
    • I will leave nothing on standby if I'm not going to use it again within 5 mins.
    • I will not fill the kettle up all the way for just a cup.
    • Be quicker in shower.

I would love to see Dubs game!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Pledge: To continue the energy saving system I already practice; washing up dishes instead of dishwasher, making sure lights are off in empty rooms, plug out anything not in use, never leave things on standby, use clotheshorse instead of tumble drier, listen to radio/watch tv online rather than have a computer and a radio/tv on the go, try to avoid using at peak hours, already make use of three bins, waste, recycle and organic, use energy saver bulbs, don't leave the taps running eg while washing teeth etc and I use public transport.

Any chance of tickets for Kildare match? Sunday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Pledge: Basically keep doing what I'm doing plus more. Around the house,shut down the computer when it isn't being used,not stand by. Make sure the tv is switched off at the tv rather than the remote,saving 20% of energy being used.
    As another poster said,wash the dishes instead of the dish washer. Dry the clothes on the clothes line as often as possible. I cycle when it's a trip that realistically doesn't need the car.
    Got in to reducing/reusing/recycling when I was in school when I was on the Green Schools' Committee,and we got our school the Green Flag.Now recycle much more in the house and have a compost bin.
    I know they're all little things but over the years I have become much better at reducing my carbon footprint. And no,i'm not perfect,I may stay too long in the shower,but it's an ongoing bettering of my ways and every little helps :D

I'd really love tickets to the matches on Saturday,would be a great day out.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

I pledge to take my bike to college instead of my car.
    Also will plug out devices at night and encourage my friends to do so also.
    Hang out the washing instead of using the tumble dryer.

Tickets for saturday be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Energy saving light bulbs !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jdros1

Get everyone in the house to switch off lights when they leave the room, simply by charging anyone €1.00 if they leave the room and don't switch off the lights. This rule is for everyone, If I leave the room and do not switch off the light and someone spots this they we charge me the €1.00

Tickets for Sunday would be great

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Ill cycle to work instead of driving.
    Ill turn off my pc before going to sleep ( instead of leaving it on torrenting all night every night )
    Also Ill switch power providers to bord gais ( aparantly they have the most wind provided power than the rest )
    Ill start forcing the housemates to recycle

*If I get the tickets Ill walk from stephens green as opposed to my usual taxi :)

Id like tickets for the Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Not bragging or anything but I do an awful lot of these things already!!:)

I will however pledge to use my car as much less frequently as I can and get out and walk those short journeys instead.

Sunday tickets please if chosen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

I pledge to have quick short showers instead of baths, turn off the tap when brushing my teeth and keep storage containers to gather rainwater in the garden rather than waste tap water to water plants.
    Also to always bear in mind when energy is being wasted around the house.
    As a rule, if a device has a light showing, its wasted energy. So even the red light on devices switched off is using more energy than the same device unplugged.
    Also to spread good ideas regarding energy savings to my freinds in a non preachy or smug manner, make them feel good about saving energy rather than bad about not saving energy!

Saturdays match please, come on the Dubs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Currently using LED bulbs in areas where low-light needed, and florescent elsewhere, where possible.
    Replaced ageing server with fanless low-power atom box (+ SSD).
    Working on auto-suspend + auto-wake to further reduce power consumption.
    Get into habbit of switching off certain appliances at mains, instead of relying on standby functionality.

Would like tickets for Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Nice idea!

Pledge: A simple one but hard to implement - a pledge to make sure that I and everybody else in our office shut down the computers, and switch off then light. Changing my behaviour is one thing, changing me+others is a challenge!

Match: Either day, but preferably Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I will shut down my laptop at night rather than leaving on standby.

Tickets for Sunday please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Well, for one we'll continue support the saving bogland in the area the advantages of which are two fold - maintaining our natural environment and cutting down on carbon dioxide releases by using a renewable replacement fuel.
    In all honesty, the biggest area we could be making more of a contribution is in the maintaining and improving our's and other local farm lands, be it through seeding more trees or switching fully to non-chemical fertilizers which would prevent harming habitats and allow for more of the carbon output that remains essential to be effectively offset. So I guess that's what I pledge to improve on!

If I'm lucky enough to be picked, I love to get see my beloved Rossies play against Cork on the Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Pledge to:

Run Dishwasher and washing machine at off peak times
    Turn off fully all computers and TV devices at night time and when away from the house.

Cork Game on Sunday Please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Only charge your mobile phone when it needs to be charged.
    How many people charge their phone overnight when they still have 3 bars left?

saturday please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Unplugging my tv + Computer because even when they're off I can see a light on and to have my family do the same :)

Tickets for Dublin would be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

I pledge to turn off tv fully off at nighttime and not leave it on standby.

Will also enusre I buy energy efficient lightbulbs next time a bulb neEds changing.

I would like a ticket for Sunday please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

i pledge to cycle down to the local shop instead of using the car and will also car pool more to matches (including up to the game on sunday if i get tickets!!). will also stop leaving the tv on standby.

tickets for sunday please!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jinksdub

I'll pledge to wash my Dubs top at 40C instead of 60, walk to the match instead of bus or car and recycle the top if we get beaten. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

Its difficult to think of things to do when you do alot of them already, as Hesh's Umpire already said. :/

Pledge:
    • To turn off my tv when I'm not interested in whats on
    • To take out my laptop charger when my laptop is 100% charged
    • To take a bus to Croker for concerts [or the Dublin vs Tyrone match :P] in future

Tickets for the Dublin match would be go hiontach, thanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I pledge to start growing my fruit and veg at home,to cut down on all the air miles of lugging my greens half away across the world.
    I'm a terror for leaving my hair straightners and such on standby, so I pledge to switch off all appliances after use.
    I pledge to use public transport heading up to the match and use the bikes to get around in Dublin.

I'd love tickets for Saturday,still trying to recover from Limerick exit last Saturday and this would cheer me right up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Pledge:

Rather than take the bus from Drumcondra train station to DCU and back everyday, I will add up the money I would spend on bus tickets and buy a fold up bicycle.

I would love tickets to the Kildare match on Sunday, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

• Set computer to power down after 15 minutes lying idle
    • Always buy energy saving bulbs where possible
    • Use inkjet printer over laser printer where possible
    • Always look for energy efficient models when buying new appliances
    • Incorporate wind/solar power into home (when I get round to building one!)
    • Cycle more
    I am fairly energy conscious already in fairness, but theres always room for improvement!

Would love to go to the games on Sunday please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tripkat

I will cycle to work.
    I will cycle to matches.
    I will cycle most places.
    I will change my lights to energy saving bulbs.
    I will turn off lights when leaving a room.
    I will put the washing machine at 40 degrees.
    I will not use the dryer.
    I will fly less.
    I will eat less meat.

I'd like tickets for the Dublin game please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

Pledge:
    • To wear more clothes instead of turning on the heating (until it is necessary)
    • To reduce my waste i'll recycle anything recycleable and use a compost bin for grass cuttings
    • To only wash up using boiling kettle water instead of the dishwasher
    Can I please have the tickets for the Cork game on Sunday.

Advertisement