Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E/W Doubles

Options
  • 29-07-2010 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

First of all I'm not a big gambler. I dont really know much about horses (football is where I usually bet). Anyways Im wondering have I found a potentially good money maker? At Galway yesterday I back two horses in an e/w double at odds of 4/1 and 7/2. Both won and from €10 I got about €120 back. Does anyone else do this sort of bet. Seems to me like it could be very good money maker if you backed one of the favourites each time. Even if they didnt win I'm sure you'd get a decent return.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

Sorry to jack your thread but im not much a gambler either but do you do this bets online on paddypower? Is it possible to do it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

danh789 wrote: »
    First of all I'm not a big gambler. I dont really know much about horses (football is where I usually bet). Anyways Im wondering have I found a potentially good money maker? At Galway yesterday I back two horses in an e/w double at odds of 4/1 and 7/2. Both won and from €10 I got about €120 back. Does anyone else do this sort of bet. Seems to me like it could be very good money maker if you backed one of the favourites each time. Even if they didnt win I'm sure you'd get a decent return.

Opinions?

I'm a double/treble/trixie/patent/lucky15 kind of dude but you'll be amazed just how amazingly difficult it is to predict the winner of one race consistently never mind two. Keep your stake low/evens and avoid faves. Placing will give you a tiny return and is the more turnout meaning you end up just keeping on an even keel. The value of these bets is in long odds coming in once every few weeks. A plus side of this bets is that they can be a lot more fun and can stop you putting down huge bets on single horses and then trying to play catch up (cos you literally have a horse in every race).

The main benefit is that you will at least get a few winners every day. A lot less stressful I think than 'straight' betting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Sorry to jack your thread but im not much a gambler either but do you do this bets online on paddypower? Is it possible to do it online?

Yep. Just pick a few horses and the choices will come up on your bet slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Morgans

Each way doubles are a bet that bookies hate. Or used to do.

You can get maiden hurdles/ flat maidens where the second/third favourites are in a 7/2 - 6/1 type price range often against an odds on fav, and often in races where there is lots of dead wood who will "improve for the run" wink wink. Generally, you have a good chance of getting some return for your stake.

The only reason that each way doubles or multiples are dying is the easy access to bookies (online, phone)

There are few good reasons not to place a single each way on the first horse, and should he win, you can then choose to place all your winnings on the second horse.

Its maybe betting a touch defensively, but its not a stupid strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

wromng thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Opinions?

A) When I am doing doubles I generally look for a horse bigger than 5/1 which is running first and the second horse I throw in is a favourite with a decent chance. Then if the first horse wins you can look for cover by way of a win single bet on one or two of the horses with a good chance in the second race, you can lose more but I think it is worth the risk.

B) Another thing I do is throw a football team in the second leg like Man Utd or Chelsea when they are at home.

In A) what I sometimes do in an excel sheet is a simple formula to calculate how much I need to put on the single bets to get my original stake back.

I hope this helps you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Seems to me like it could be very good money maker if you backed one of the favourites each time. Even if they didnt win I'm sure you'd get a decent return.

Opinions?

Taking the races at Galway today as an example,in 7 races only one outright fav won a race so the chances of the fav winning everytime to make the bet a worthwhile arent as common as you might think.

To be fair though out of those 7 races the fav did feature in the top 3 and therefore place 5 times but at odds of no more than 4/1 SP. For a place you would get 1/4 the odds so at best you would have evens going on to the second part of your bet. Therefore to get a decent return you now need the second horse who isnt as likely to win and will have greater odds to win to give you a decent return. If it just places even though your bet wins your return isnt that great unless you have gone for something of at least 8/1. Picking the second horse in that range of odds requires a lot of study of form etc as there will be plenty of horses in that bracket of odds.

Your bet today had two wins and gave you a nice return. If the second horse had placed your return would have been only €18.75 which is a big difference.

Advertisement