Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivan Yates on Drive

• 29-07-2010 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

So Mr Yates gave up his week at the Galway races to cover for Mr Hook this week. Must be his induction for taking the slot over from September when Hooky goes to Breakfast and Claire Byrne to Lunchtime. Sensible moves. All they need to do now is find someone for the mid morning slot and they're sorted.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I can't envisage Hook getting up at 4am at this stage in his career.
    I doubt the "lovely" one would stand for it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Well, it's (allegedley) happening soon.

Oh God, imagine how nasal Hookie will sound at 6.30 in the morning.

They will have to drag his sleepy, angry head outta the bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Shocked to hear the Hooky is going to the breakfast slot. Gloomy September mornings, recession and now George grumbling because he can't handle the early starts!

Great move to move Claire Byrne to the Midday slot. I can avoid her ever more now. For too long Ivan had to cover her habit of not engaging her thought processes before speaking. She be totally biased for a subject and then the following week she be totally against after she thought the consequences out. Ivan has that ability to think deeper about the subject as he covers it. Now at least she has the morning to prepare for her show.

The Hooky might be biased but he isn't for changing so you have to respect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Hook's an early riser, used to see him in Fizwilliam going for a swim very early.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

themont85 wrote: »
    Hook's an early riser, used to see him in Fizwilliam going for a swim very early.

If I saw him in water, I would throw one of these in on top of him..

sky_Box.jpg

(still plugged in of course)..

Cant believe that they would give Claire Byrne the lunchtime show, she's simply not strong enough.. and would become the Newstalk equivalent of Mary Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Why have they not given Jonathan Healy his own show? He is great at interviewing people, he is professional and you don't always get tones of what side he is taking in discussions, he is very balanced! The big names like Claire, Ivan & George are by far not the best choice for the main time slots! :mad:
    Or get some new voices in! I am sick of hearing Claire Byrne's "talkin down", "poor me" attitude. And yes I do turn it off, I mainly listen to Morning Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Away from their Moncrieff cameos, Breakfast with Henry and Paolo would make an interesting pilot some bank holiday Monday.

Very good. He's entertaining is Ivan.

• Advertisement

At 4am ?

George is a very motivated man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

So, someone had the bright idea of moving Gilroy out of the Breakfast Show and moving Ivan in...the show loses listeners and the next bright idea is to give Clarie Byrne the Lunchtime Show and Yates Drivetime....hmmmm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Huh ?

Evact time please so I can AVOID :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Ivan is poor enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

rebeve wrote: »
    Ivan is poor enough .

He is a right-wing, sexist, ill-informed, biased, self-serving idiot who, although he has several sources of income (including the one you and I pay) expects his betting-shop staff to clean their own offices to save money for him.

He recently interviewed some man from the institute of public administration and came out with a gem about having heard of something great that was being done in the private sector and perhaps it could be tried in the public sector. The great idea? making two workers do the work previously done by three!!

He then went on to talk about opening up the top jobs in the public service to people from the private sector, apalled that only one outsider had been appointed in this country. The interviewee explained that, in Britain, the balance had shifted too much in that they had had a problem with the recruits from the private sector demanding higher pay, and that there was a higher staff turnover with those recruited from the private sector.

Because it wasn't what Ivan wanted to hear, he ignored those facts completely.

He is a man with an agenda...more money for the rich, especially Ivan, and get more work for less pay from fewer workers.

And newstalk has given him a platform to peddle his propaganda to the nation.

uriah wrote: »
    He is a right-wing, sexist, ill-informed, biased, self-serving idiot who, although he has several sources of income (including the one you and I pay) expects his betting-shop staff to clean their own offices to save money for him.

He recently interviewed some man from the institute of public administration and came out with a gem about having heard of something great that was being done in the private sector and perhaps it could be tried in the public sector. The great idea? making two workers do the work previously done by three!!

He then went on to talk about opening up the top jobs in the public service to people from the private sector, apalled that only one outsider had been appointed in this country. The interviewee explained that, in Britain, the balance had shifted too much in that they had had a problem with the recruits from the private sector demanding higher pay, and that there was a higher staff turnover with those recruited from the private sector.

He is a man with an agenda...more money for the rich, especially Ivan, and get more work for less pay from fewer workers.

Would agree with the above

Ah ! The fcukin beardies fight back..thought they might.!

Small betting office...busy day lots of litter..three/four staff..take 10/20 mins to clear and clean.
    No! Lets get in extra people to do that...let's forget there is a recession and be fcukin bolshie.

Let's all moan and whinge when the office closes...and the beardies will continue to draw their fat salaries...

Ah ! The fcukin beardies fight back..thought they might.!

Small betting office...busy day lots of litter..three/four staff..take 10/20 mins to clear and clean.
    No! Lets get in extra people to do that...let's forget there is a recession and be fcukin bolshie.

Let's all moan and whinge when the office closes...and the beardies will continue to draw their fat salaries...
    Sure thats grand so,maybe on account of the depression and the fact that Ireland is broke, that St Ivan just might forego the old pensions. Ya right.Do as I say not as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galwayash

Must be his induction for taking the slot over from September when Hooky goes to Breakfast

Is this true?? Are they really putting Hook into the morning slot? I don't think I'll be able to tolerate him first thing in the morning! I'm going to need to find a new morning show to listen to on the way to work. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

rebeve wrote: »
    Sure thats grand so,maybe on account of the depression and the fact that Ireland is broke, that St Ivan just might forego the old pensions. Ya right.Do as I say not as I do.
    Public Servants moaning again! I don't agree with him getting a Dail pension but his other incomes are legitimate. And Public Servants have no right to whinge having been drawing salaries all year for working quarter weeks, not answering phones and not doing other parts of their jobs. A bit like RTE people slagging off the Politicians. Kettle calling the pot black!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Reminder: this is the radio forum. I would advise posters to read the charter before posting on this threa again. If you want to discuss how Ivan performs as a presenter, fine. If you want to discuss how he runs his betting shops, not fine. There will be no further warnings about this, we're not going down this road again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I know Newstalk need to get someone for the lunchtime slot but why not leave the rest of the line up as it is.

Don't like having Ivan on in the afternoon he gets too much opportunity to chat about his own interests. The Thursday interview last week was Ruby Walsh, I couldn't care less about horse racing even if it is the week of the Galway races. If I want to hear about that I'll watch At the Races. At least when he is in the morning slot Ivan is somewhat restricted. In the afternoon slot he has too much scope.

The only change I would like to see is Off The Ball on for 12 hours a day :D

According to the Sunday times a few weeks back, George wants the morning slot and Ivan wants the evening slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

In the tribune yesterday something along the lines Ivan will start the breakfast show 1 hour after everyone else. So I guess conor brophy and clare until 7.30 and then Ivan shows up. Anyone thing it will get to stage where matt cooper moves to newstalk and today fm becomes a "fulltime" music station??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

In the tribune yesterday something along the lines Ivan will start the breakfast show 1 hour after everyone else. So I guess conor brophy and clare until 7.30 and then Ivan shows up. Anyone thing it will get to stage where matt cooper moves to newstalk and today fm becomes a "fulltime" music station??

Breakfast show on until 10am Tom Dunne losing the hour

Would have thought it unusual for a current affairs breaffast show to go on until 10. Always thought 9 was the "standard" finishing time. Suppose Newstalks thinking is that is worth a try at this stage

In the tribune yesterday something along the lines Ivan will start the breakfast show 1 hour after everyone else. So I guess conor brophy and clare until 7.30 and then Ivan shows up.
    A crazy idea, but I believe the Tribune have it slightly wrong. I believe the plan is for Mr Yates to take over the Right Hook and G. Hook moving to the 7.30 - 10am slot.
    Anyone thing it will get to stage where matt cooper moves to newstalk and today fm becomes a "fulltime" music station??
    They should do so. But maybe make the TodayFM drive a bit like BBC Radio 2's where they have a music driven show with a guest in studio for a short interview.

07.30 - 10.00 -- Hookie
    10.00 12.00 ---Tom "believe you me" Dunne
    12.00 - 14.00 --- Ivan
    14.00 - 16.30---Sean
    16.30 - 19.00 --- Matt Cooper
    19.00 - 22.00---Off the ball
    22.00 - 0.00-- Culture shock etc etc.

a new schedule??

Clare Byrne could ..eh..lets see....could cover for....ehh...might be a free slot...eh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

My God, you'd think Ivan Yeats was bringing in a half a million listeners with all the musical chairs going on at Newstalk. Didn't that breakfast show loose listeners in the last book?
    That Brophy character isn't exactly the easiest listen either, in my view.
    And Hook at that hour? What works in the evening may not do any better than whats there in the morning.
    That Frank Cronin chap doesn't seem to have a scooby doo. Is he now being run by his senior presenters?

Radio, Fulton, Radio !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

uriah wrote: »

ive said it once , il say it again , is a tragedy for the country that ivan yates quit politics

Badabing wrote: »
    Breakfast show on until 10am Tom Dunne losing the hour

not all bad so , in time perhaps they can push breakfast to 12 midday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

In the tribune yesterday something along the lines Ivan will start the breakfast show 1 hour after everyone else.

[url]Http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/aug/01/snooze-talk-yates-lie-causes-outrage/[/url]

At best Yates is alright as a presenter. Why are they bending over backwards to accommodate him? The biggest problem with Newstalk's Breakfast show, imo, has always been Claire Bryne and the program is at its very worst when she is on by herself. Now this going to happen every morning for the first half of the show....this ain't going to work.

07.30 - 10.00 -- Hookie
    10.00 12.00 ---Tom "believe you me" Dunne
    12.00 - 14.00 --- Ivan
    14.00 - 16.30---Sean
    16.30 - 19.00 --- Matt Cooper
    19.00 - 22.00---Off the ball
    22.00 - 0.00-- Culture shock etc etc.

a new schedule??

Clare Byrne could ..eh..lets see....could cover for....ehh...might be a free slot...eh

Maybe she could take the slot before Hookie.

• Advertisement

Actually, Hookie in the morning would be a real Culture Shock.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭coletti

I had high hopes for a decent breakfast show in the morning, I was disappointed to find that Newstalk's breakfast show so poor on content and poor on presentation. I had thought it was the female presenter who brought the show down, as she came over to me to be too eager and gushing. But now that i listen to Ivan Yates in the evening, i realise too that he is not a good presenter and the show is full of his opinions at the expense of actual content and interesting and thought provoking items.

I've tried to listen to Newstalk, but keep finding myself reverting to Radio 4 in the morning, where the Today programme has probably 10 times the content per hour than Newstalk has, and is presented in a professional and non fawning manner.

coletti wrote: »
    ....Ivan Yates in the evening, i realise too that he is not a good presenter and the show is full of his opinions at the expense of actual content and interesting and thought provoking items.
    Talk show presenters are encouraged to be opinionated - preferably with controversial opinions - so as to provoke debate and interest with their listeners. Good examples can be found on LBC, TalkSport, 5Live etc. A fine example of this is Steven Nolan on BBC Ulster/5Live. I've heard him change sides in a debate several times during a discussion all the time stirring the pot. Hook is good at that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I can't stand Hook's slobbering, nasal voice, and it's the absolute last thing I'd want to wake up to.

As for Byrne, lunchtime is ok for me, no radio in work, so I never have to hear her again.

And I already turn off NT after Moncrieff as it is, so the evening presenter is of no consequence to me, but putting Yeats there is a total thumbs down from me.

coletti wrote: »
    I had high hopes for a decent breakfast show in the morning, I was disappointed to find that Newstalk's breakfast show so poor on content and poor on presentation. I had thought it was the female presenter who brought the show down, as she came over to me to be too eager and gushing. But now that i listen to Ivan Yates in the evening, i realise too that he is not a good presenter and the show is full of his opinions at the expense of actual content and interesting and thought provoking items.

I've tried to listen to Newstalk, but keep finding myself reverting to Radio 4 in the morning, where the Today programme has probably 10 times the content per hour than Newstalk has, and is presented in a professional and non fawning manner.

although i like ivan yates and think hes a good contributor when appearing on various radio or tv shows , i think hes been pretty average while standing in for hook , hes simply not versatile enough

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Last time I heard Yates was after he threw a little tantrum about former FG frontbench members being "urinated" on by Kenny after the failed leadership heave. He seemed quite upset about it given his overt support the Bruton camp.

Awful radio - himself, Byrne and that stand-in Darragh O'Brien are the reason I have not listened to Newstalk in over a month. Back to Today FM, and reluctantly now RTE in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ian Dempsey announced this morning that Byrne was off to RTE for an "afternoon show", co-hosting with another female presenter who already works for RTE.

Drivetime?

Des wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey announced this morning that Byrne was off to RTE for an "afternoon show", co-hosting with another female presenter who already works for RTE.

Drivetime?

TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

From the indo this morning
    Sources say Ms Byrne informed Newstalk management in recent days of her intention to leave, and will be on RTE television next month.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems to be officially/unofficially comfirmed.

http://twitter.com/cebyrne
    Thanks for all the good wishes on my unconfirmed news :)

That twitter account was linked to by the breakfastnt twitter account, so looks like it is Claire herself.

No harm either. She's more suited to a light entertainment/magazine style show. Now, they should be looking for a more intelligent female presenter for Newstalk. Maybe someone like Fiona Looney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

No great loss to the air waves, dumbing down even more of RTE female presenters, all style and society columns but little insight.

Advertisement