Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salad in Dublin City Center? (low calorie/cheap pls)

Options
  • 29-07-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Recently, I had a superquinn caesar salad with bacon

then one without bacon

I liked both

They came in a little tub which I reckon could be used to eat out of. Here's a pic I found from their website:
    5011050049142_2.JPG

I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere in in Dublin city center to get take away salads for lunch in a tub (or some other container) which I could eat it from?

I think Caesar salads might have a fair few calories though so I was also hoping for suggestions on low calorie (and not too expensive) take away salads which I could buy for lunch in the city center.

I'm gonna try Dunnes on georges st. this afternoon.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

O'Brien's in the Irish Life Mall do make your own salads in takeaway containers - perhaps they all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

oh yeah, the salad buffets in supermarkets

forgot about those

I guess I should add that I'm very newb regarding salads.

I'll check O'Briens, Centra and Spar as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

M&S is great for things like this. Better than salad counters if you're looking to count the calories.

olaola wrote: »
    M&S is great for things like this. Better than salad counters if you're looking to count the calories.

Cool, by chance I dropped into M&S on Graftson St and they do have a huge selection. All looks tasty too.

In the end, I bought in McDonalds. They have a garden side salad listed here:
    http://www.mcdonalds.ie/mmmmenu/salads-and-more.aspx

It's on their euro saver menu and costs 1 euro at the moment. Think it's 2 euro regularly.

I bought 2 so that I could check out their dressings (Caesar and Balsamic). Both were grand but I did overdo it on the balsamic and it got very strong towards the bottom of the bowl/pot thing they provide.

After that, I found that M&S has a gigantic selection. Dunnes has a decent salad counter. Spar/Centra/Londis have selections but alot contain coleslaw or pasta/rice.

I'd also like to point out I'm picky about what I like (saladwise) so I'm mainly focusing on finding lettuce/peppers/onions and dressings that are tasty.

I reckon that in the future, I'll be trying:
    - a garden salad pot from Dunnes
    - a mix from the dunnes salad counter
    - there was an italian leaves+parma cheese+nuts+some dressing pot in M&S.

of course... suggestions are welcome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

if you're looking to count the calories, then be aware that it's the dressings that are the culprits, so maybe don't use all the dressing (which should improve the taste too as pretty much every dressing from a sachet or bottle is vile).

• Advertisement

if you're looking to count the calories, then be aware that it's the dressings that are the culprits, so maybe don't use all the dressing (which should improve the taste too as pretty much every dressing from a sachet or bottle is vile).

I went and got the McDs salads again today. Their box claims the salad is 10Kcal so that's not too bad.

The dressings were around 50Kcal for the full sachet of Caesar and 35 for the full balsamic one.

I'd say I used a little under half a sachet of each dressing. Taste definitely improved.

spurious wrote: »
    O'Brien's in the Irish Life Mall do make your own salads in takeaway containers - perhaps they all do.

Got a Take Away Chicken Caesar from their shop on Westmoreland St today and it came with Bacon. €5.25

Huge tub which was tasty and filling. Couldn't find any nutritional info though. Hope it wasn't too heavy.

Advertisement