Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slayer Appreciation Thread

Options
  • 29-07-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

Tried looking for another recent one but couldn't see it!

Anyways... anyone else here a fan of Slayer? Gotta admit, they are probably my favourite band just for the sheer awesomeness of their music. Still have yet to see them live though (was meant to see them in leeds but the gig was cancelled :()

Dave Lombardo is probably the reason why I started playing drums too.

So anyone else like em?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whats the new album like? have'nt had a chance to get it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Must admit i havent heard much of their newer stuff but have got back into listening to the albums i grew up with and am loving Seasons in the Abyss all over again..

sorry if this thread gets locked because of me posting on it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

new album is awesome ,slayer fanatic here been a fan since a wee lad ,
    last time to see em was the 02 in birmingham this year f**ckin awesome .
    got right up front and suffered a few bruises but well worth it ,managed to get a set list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I thought it was great. Slayer doing what Slayer do best.:)

I love the title track!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I saw them twice once in cork in 07 and in dublin in 06,great gigs,was very bruised after though :o

• Advertisement

song inspired my username :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Slayer - the band that just kept doing the same thing (for the most part) for over 20 years, and still sound as heavy as ever.

I love the new album, even if the dvd part was a bit fag-gy.

Also, this cover version is quite cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I thought their latest album was really good too - Quite possibly their best since Seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I love that quote from Rob Zombie in Metal A Headbangers Journey. I'm paraphrasing here, but I believe it goes:

"No ones' ever in to Slayer for a summer......."

Just talking about how a band can stay with you (especially giving the genre...Genre of awesome if you ask me! But I'm biased).

Caught them in the Point (2006 I think it was) of their Unholy Alliance tour with Lamb of God. Now to be honest Lamb of God completely blew them out of the water. But was still fantastic to see them live.

And yeah, Lombardo is a fantastic drummer. Very versatile. Did you see the stuff he did with Mike Patton (Fantomas), mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

chin_grin wrote: »
    I love that quote from Rob Zombie in Metal A Headbangers Journey. I'm paraphrasing here, but I believe it goes:

"No ones' ever in to Slayer for a summer......."

Just talking about how a band can stay with you (especially giving the genre...Genre of awesome if you ask me! But I'm biased).

Caught them in the Point (2006 I think it was) of their Unholy Alliance tour with Lamb of God. Now to be honest Lamb of God completely blew them out of the water. But was still fantastic to see them live.

And yeah, Lombardo is a fantastic drummer. Very versatile. Did you see the stuff he did with Mike Patton (Fantomas), mental!

Yeah i seen the video he did with mike patton of this improv song they did. amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

SLAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYER!!!

Woo woo bing bam boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Yeah i seen the video he did with mike patton of this improv song they did. amazing.

If you're talking about this one........

..........that's no improv. That's a song off Fantomas' first album (self titled). Tis messed up! You can read in the trivia (on that page) that....
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The album serves as a soundtrack to a comic book.

Would love to read that I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

chin_grin wrote: »
    If you're talking about this one........

..........that's no improv. That's a song off Fantomas' first album (self titled). Tis messed up! You can read in the trivia (on that page) that....

Would love to read that I tell you.

Gotta brush up on my Fantomas!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Slayer have never really been a band that I'm into in a big way. However I love 'Show No Mercy, some of South of Heaven and most of Seasons in The Abyss.

have to agree with this videos summing up of Slayer lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Bought Reign in Blood when I was about 15/16 many many years ago [was a black cassette]. Blew me away at the time, scared the shit outta me a wee bit too :pac:

The albums post Seasons' never did much for me, didn't like Tom's vocals, but, I've been listening to the new album the past few days and am really liking it.

There's a thread on here for best solo in metal, for me this is one of the best intro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

have to agree with this videos summing up of Slayer lol

Heh, that's funny as hell :pac:
    ...........I'll get my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Have been a Slayer fan for many years.My personal favourite album is Divine Intervention,I bought it on tape the week of its release and literally listened to it to death.Although they have (IMO) lost their way over the last few releases they as still as influential as any metal band in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JazzPotato

Slayer in the Marquee 2007...my second ever concert. What a show!
    Seasons in The Abyss still remains the greatest metal album ever written for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

just found this amazing cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

SLAYER!!!

Best workout band ever, Silent Scream, Ghosts of War, Born of Fire- blow away the swing and pump of modern metal with their speed.

ahhh Slayer stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Excellent band, saw them in 05 and met Jeff and Kerry afterwards. Would love to see them agian. Decade of Agression is a class live album, RIB is just savage. GHUA and Diabolus were sh!t but every band throws out a few clunkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I've loved Slayer for years now. Saw them at Ozzfest '02 in Punchestown. It was dry all day but when Slayer's crew were setting up the stage it started raining and rained heavily while they were on. When they finished it started to clear off! That's how savage they are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Wouldn't be the biggest Slayer fan in the world but i absolutely love this.....

Some more Slayer appreciation here, 1985 and in Holland no less lol smokin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Reign in Blood is the greatest thrash metal album ever released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

A friend of mine was a fan in school. He used to carve, yes carve, their lyrics into the wooden desks during Chemistry. Anyway I got into the band through him, same reason I got into Pantera actually, and it turned out he had brilliant music taste.

We don't see so much of each other since school finished - which is always the way - but to this day when I see Slayer live or put on their CD I always wonder what he's up too or where he is.

Personally, I love the track 'Bloodline', and remember when it was first released this was right about the moment I first start listening to them. I used to wait until it was past 10pm on Kerrang so I could request the "explicit" version of this track

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Got Divine Intervention the week it came out! and still one of my favourite slayer albums!!unreal live act seeing them more times than i can remember! not too fond of their latest editions though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Got Divine Intervention the week it came out!

same - i liked the anarcho-metal vibes on there in particular like sepultura's Chaos AD released just prior to it. and Bostaph's drums - slayer will always be my favourite group as they left the biggest impact, adolescence dictated that but now i only really use em as a multimillion selling thrash antidote to metallimania.

i still follow what theyre up to but i don't listen to the metal on my stereo anymore am too immersed in 80s underground. indeed i heard metallica music on Nationwide earlier :o were never a threatening group, far too safe bar when hetfield was hiding under a childs bed in some song. or closet - head, whatever but very PG otherwise if they were ever thrash at all is open to debate but its no surprise lombardo was the only member to join metallica onstage at the big-four he'll drum w/ just about anyone for a different experience. what grates some about slayer now is lots of aimless scales filling in long forgotten solos - hanneman the main culprit - but the other groups that preceded em eternal headliners didn't get very long

Advertisement