Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macnas Parade Shots C&C

• 29-07-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I visited Galway recently and managed to catch the Macnas parade, shooting parades/street theater (whatever it's called) is something I don't have much experience with, so would welcome some C&C on the following shots, two I have cropped (I'm showing before and after) is cropping appropriate, on the one of the two women, I'm not sure if cropping works as I wonder does it remove the context of the shot. Anyhow C&C would be appreciated. Larger versions are here on my flickr

4839851913_4a84c1554b.jpg

4840491866_685552410b.jpg

4839862775_b9239559a0.jpg

Cropped version:
    4840023635_46b98c466e.jpg
    4839842867_08d5189622.jpg

Cropped version:
    4840031103_26f91b31e5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

To be honest, they don't do much for me (which is not to be interpreted as saying I'd have done any better).

I think my overriding problem with all the images is the cluttered background and lack of isolation of the main subject. Ideally, you would either have a cleaner background (hard to find in these situations), or blur it with a wider aperture or by panning (again, probably not an option). So: open up the aperture and/or shoot with a longer focal length. I couldn't find the details on Flickr... what aperture were they shot at?

To be specific,
    #1: I find the black 'thing' on the right and grey window on the left distracting from the witch. It's also a little dark - maybe 0.7+ exposure would have given more detail on the subject and done more to burn out the background.

#2: This could have been really nice with less depth-of-field and without the black 'thing' intruding from the top right. Also, perhaps B&W would help the subject stand out from the background since he's such a bold subject.

#3: Great expressions and subject interaction. Would have worked better as a landscape format so you could have included the rest of the left-hand subjects head and lowered the camera to capture less of the crowd behind. The crop is better but I still can't live without the rest of her head.

#4: Great expression captured again. Again, I'd prefer to have this as a landscape format with a smidgeon on space on the left so the hat isn't clipped and ideally more space on the right for the subject to look into. Clichéd, I know but I think it would work better.

In summary: more subject; less background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Thanks for that hopelessOne. I had another version of Pic 4 (below) tad more hat, I *think* expression not as good, but I see what you mean about more space on right. Here's the alternative, I still don't think it makes the grade.

4840835254_d1b34efa16.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Just a quick post to say that pic #4 and it's crop is probably pointless, it's virtually the same picture, I know technically it may be a crop but surely this is a better way to use the term crop?

DF46C52E62E046369CB4BF45FD668FC7-800.jpg

77BB1A4C18524066A4D04DDC2417F5A0-800.jpg

B269C1C9DCAF443E9FA626C1CBB5A6D0-800.jpg

I find 3/3a probably the best of the lot but I just feel that you're not capturing the full atmosphere of the parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I'd agree with the comments about needing shallower DoF and I also think some fill-flash might have improved 1 and 2. IMO.

Just a quick post to say that pic #4 and it's crop is probably pointless, it's virtually the same picture, I know technically it may be a crop but surely this is a better way to use the term crop?

Good point.
    I find 3/3a probably the best of the lot but I just feel that you're not capturing the full atmosphere of the parade.

I think you are right. I must make an effort to try get out and do more of this type of shooting. I'm pleased with capturing the expressions in Pic 3 & 4 but there a serious flaws with the shots.
    kelly1 wrote: »
    I'd agree with the comments about needing shallower DoF and I also think some fill-flash might have improved 1 and 2. IMO.

I looked back at EXIF and discovered they were shot at f6.3, entirely my fault, I had switched to A-priority and should have paid more attention to what I had set. Fill-flash, interesting, must play around more with fill-flash.

Thanks all for feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

dave66 wrote: »

I looked back at EXIF and discovered they were shot at f6.3, entirely my fault, I had switched to A-priority and should have paid more attention to what I had set. Fill-flash, interesting, must play around more with fill-flash.
    I have done this sooooooooo many times, especially during my 1st 18 months learning, I've an atrocious memory!
    And fill flash is good, just a pain in the butt using an external flash, I wouldn't recommend an onboard flash for it.

I have done this sooooooooo many times, especially during my 1st 18 months learning, I've an atrocious memory!
    And fill flash is good, just a pain in the butt using an external flash, I wouldn't recommend an onboard flash for it.

Yeah, wish I was a noob though, I have been making photos for a tad (ok lot) longer than 18th months :eek:

I'm not a major fan of using flash, clearly it has its place and use but I'm not a big user.

Thing is, we are always learning, sometimes it's re-learning stuff we forgot ;)

Advertisement