Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord love a duck!

Options
  • 29-07-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭

My local butcher has a good deal on half-duck. I've cooked duck breast lots of times but I wondered if anyone could:

a) recommend a recipe they've tried with this cut

and/or

b) recommend/advise on a cooking method for this cut, going for crispy as possible

Thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

perhaps pierce the skin and pour some boiling water over it to tighten it up before roasting, and baste it with some plum or hosin sauce with Chinese 5 spice?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For roasting a whole duck I swear by a recipe from Delia Smiths how to cook, prior to that I cremated a few ducks to half their size.

Anyhow the essence of it is (can't find it online), leave it in the fridge wrapped in a teatowel for at least 24 hours, wipe it when taking it out, prick it all over with a skewer, season with sea salt and pepper, then place on a roasting rack. Cook at 230 C for 1 hour 50 minutes, draining the fat at least three times et voila, it's like magic.

For a half duck I'd take the same approach, but put it in the roasting tin inside down if that makes sense, and reduce the cooking time.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Thanks to you both, I'll give both suggestions a try ... I bought two halves! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Put it on a tray. Make a few cuts in the skin.
    Rub in whatever seasoning you want (all spice, cinnamon and black pepper works for me)
    Pour lemon/lime juice on top with honey if you like and shove some garlic cloves/figs/apple slices or whatever underneath.

Bung in the oven for about 35 mins on a hot enough temp.

Advertisement