Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judo Cork City

• 29-07-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭

I am in my early 30's and am thinking of taking up judo. I have a couple of questions.

Firstly regarding competition, I have heard most competitions are based on weight categories and not grade / experience like other martial arts. Is this definitely the case? This would make it very difficult for an old newcomer to be competitive as you would be coming up against guys with years of Judo behind them.

Also I am wondering if anyone has recomendations as to which club to join. I have found 4 options, differing significently in price -
    1. The Glen Resource Centre - 5 Eur per class (40 per month)
    2. Turners Cross (Cork City Judo) - 8 EUR per class (64 per month)
    3. The Boxing Clinic 55 per month (more flexibility here 3 classes per week - attend any 2)
    4. Shandon St - don't know the price here
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

dont base your decision on price or location.go to the one where you will get the best instruction with the best environment to learn, which i would say is in turners cross, but make up your own mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I think some comps are split into lower kyu/grades (white to green maybe) and higher kyu as well as an "open" division.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

derickmc wrote: »
    I am in my early 30's and am thinking of taking up judo. I have a couple of questions.

Firstly regarding competition, I have heard most competitions are based on weight categories and not grade / experience like other martial arts. Is this definitely the case? This would make it very difficult for an old newcomer to be competitive as you would be coming up against guys with years of Judo behind them.

Also I am wondering if anyone has recomendations as to which club to join. I have found 4 options, differing significently in price -
    1. The Glen Resource Centre - 5 Eur per class (40 per month)
    2. Turners Cross (Cork City Judo) - 8 EUR per class (64 per month)
    3. The Boxing Clinic 55 per month (more flexibility here 3 classes per week - attend any 2)
    4. Shandon St - don't know the price here
    Thanks

With competitions, yes its generally done by weight classes. But in most competitions there would be catagories for people with lower grades(Kyus). If you didnt feel confident enough in yourself at your first competition you might only want to enter the kyus and fight people the same grade as you. The disadvantage here is that in 99% of competitions, kyus aren't weighted, meaning you could fight anyone of any weight.

Im not from Cork so I wouldn't be able to comment on the clubs, but if ya wanted to could go to a class at each and see which ya prefer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

It's been awhile since I've done much judo in cork city, people tend to
    move around clubs abit, but the majority of the coaches, Jim Crockett,
    Sarah McGillicuddy, Terry Healy and Alex are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Toes

Hi, firstly judo is a great art to learn. I can personally vouch for Jim Crockett in Turners cross, its an excellent place to learn, and beginners are very well looked after.

Alex is in the Boxing Clinic and he is absolutely brill. Very knowledgable, helpful and a genuine nice guy too.

I have never tried the others so I couldnt tell you. As far as competing goes dont worry. You are graded up to a certain level in your own club, based on throws you know etc... Once you get to this level you then compete against people of your own grade.

Would you consider BJJ? Liam B's club in Mc Curtain St. in Town is fantastic, you can try nogi (rash guard and shorts) rather than spending out on a uniform to see if you like it.

If you need any more info p.m. me

Cheers,
    Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

I was just up in Turners Cross tonight with Jim Crocket and Toni Crocket for a yarn after training. Atmosphere was great up there and everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves on the mat.

You'll enjoy yourself training with Jim & Toni Crocket. Can't go wrong there. They train on Monday & Thursday Night Colaiste Chris Ri ( Where we held the Munster Open BJJ Championships this year).

Good Vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

Liam_B wrote: »
    I was just up in Turners Cross tonight with Jim Crocket and Toni Crocket for a yarn after training. Atmosphere was great up there and everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves on the mat.

You'll enjoy yourself training with Jim & Toni Crocket. Can't go wrong there. They train on Monday & Thursday Night Colaiste Chris Ri ( Where we held the Munster Open BJJ Championships this year).

Good Vibes.

They're great guys there you can't go wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭corkma

alex in the boxing clinic is pretty good. personally though i think your best bet is to train with the crocketts in turners cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭derickmc

Thanks for all of the replies I think I will head down to Turners Cross.

I picked a karate school at random a number of years back and it turned out not to be great. Adult and child classes were merged into 1 due to a dip in numbers but you know how you can get into a rut and just tip away. Well I did that and really didn't want to make that mistake again. It sounds like Judo is a great martial art and Turners Cross is a good place to learn. Thanks again for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

derickmc wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the replies I think I will head down to Turners Cross.

I picked a karate school at random a number of years back and it turned out not to be great. Adult and child classes were merged into 1 due to a dip in numbers but you know how you can get into a rut and just tip away. Well I did that and really didn't want to make that mistake again. It sounds like Judo is a great martial art and Turners Cross is a good place to learn. Thanks again for the advice.

Just on that note, a lot of clubs will see a dip in their number's through the summer months, and particularly in August.

Something to keep in mind, however I've never seen a Judo club merge juniors with seniors as it would be just too dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gazza.

i was intrested in joining judo does any one know the times and days of the judo in the mardyke ucc? this is the closest place to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

The Phoenix Club are also doing judo classes in Cork. Not sure of the times, etc but you can contact them through facebook, linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

gazza. wrote: »
    i was intrested in joining judo does any one know the times and days of the judo in the mardyke ucc? this is the closest place to me

I trained there years ago when I studied there. Firstly, the club isn't open during the summer months and I also suspect that it may be student or ex-student only. I don't remember too many members from the general public when I was there.

Terry Healy was the coach there and he was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hicham Phoenix Club

Hi All,

Judo is one of the 3 discplines at the Phoenix Club, the 2 others being Boxing and Sambo.

Alex is the Judo and Sambo coach and he has about 20 years experience in Judo.
    He had been coaching at many gyms and clubs, namely Cork Judo Club, UCC, Cobh Judo Club with Terry Healy, my former gym the Boxing Clinic, but also at the army...

Below his record:
    - Silver Medal at 1999 Judo European Tournament in Turkey
    - Silver Medal at 1999 Judo Open in Azerbaidjan
    - Bronze Medal at 2000 Sambo World championship
    - 5th at the 2003 Sambo European Championship

The number 1 Judokas in Ireland train with him to prepare for the biggest competitions, namely Lloyd Manning.
    I take advantage of this opportunity to wish the best of luck to Lloyd Manning competing in the World Military Judo Championship this year in Brasil.

Videos of Judo and Sambo demo with Alex to be posted soon on the Phoenix Club FB page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phoenix-Club/211024022250761

Anyone - men, kids and ladies - is most welcome and allowed for free trial session of Judo.

Special thanks to BrianjG for mentioning us ;)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi All,

Judo is one of the 3 discplines at the Phoenix Club, the 2 others being Boxing and Sambo.

He had been coaching at many gyms and clubs, namely Cork Judo Club, UCC, Cobh Judo Club with Terry Healy, my former gym the Boxing Clinic, but also at the army...

Below his record:

The number 1 Judokas in Ireland train with him to prepare for the biggest competitions, namely Lloyd Manning.
    I take advantage of this opportunity to wish the best of luck to Lloyd Manning competing in the World Military Judo Championship this year in Brasil.

Videos of Judo and Sambo demo with Alex to be posted soon on the Phoenix Club FB page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phoenix-Club/211024022250761

Anyone - men, kids and ladies - is most welcome and allowed for free trial session of Judo.

Thanks

CLICK HERE FOR A THREAD TO ADVERTISE YOUR CLUB PLEASE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Hi All,

Below his record:

Thanks

What days do you TRAIN & TIMES ?

Advertisement