Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Advice (lights)

Options
  • 29-07-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on the following, as its not easy to explain verbally I've done up the following sketches to help outline what I intend to do. Basically I've taken a 2 wires (1 x 2.5mm sq for sockets, and 1 x 1mm for lights) from the fuse/trip switch unit all the way to a new sun room at the back of the house via attic and walls. I've no problem with the sorting out the sockets but with the lights I need some help. My questions are as follows:

1. I want to power an external light as well as internal spot lights (2 external and 6 internal (spot lights) so 8 bulbs in total), should I ideally run another seperate 1.0mm square cable from the fuse/trip switch board for the external lights?

2. If i do not need a second independent feed from fuse/trip switch box, how do I go about wiring up the 2 sets of lights to a double switch located at point A - refer to attachment for points A and B.

3. Also can anyone advise me on the wiring I need to do to have the internal light controlable from a second single switch at point B

2010-07-29 Sun room wiring Model (1).pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

i dont know how handy you are with electrics and you might struggle with this sort of wiring as its not straightforward as such,

from the fuse board i would bring my 1.5 cable to switch A which is a 2 gang switch obviously,you would then need a 1.5 from this switch out to your external lights,you will need a switch wire to both external and internal lights from this switch A!

to use switch B to control internal lights you would need to bring strappers which is a twin brown cable,from switch A!

ive never been great at explaining in words but theres my attempt ha!im sure someone can do a better job!again it could get messy for a novice(dont take that the wrong way please!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

i dont know how handy you are with electrics and you might struggle with this sort of wiring as its not straightforward as such,

from the fuse board i would bring my 1.5 cable to switch A which is a 2 gang switch obviously,you would then need a 1.5 from this switch out to your external lights,you will need a switch wire to both external and internal lights from this switch A!

to use switch B to control internal lights you would need to bring strappers which is a twin brown cable,from switch A!

ive never been great at explaining in words but theres my attempt ha!im sure someone can do a better job!again it could get messy for a novice(dont take that the wrong way please!)

Many thanks........definitely won't your advice the wrong way.....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

no problem mate everyone trys there best to help,just some people take it the wrong way when they aret told to get a sparks and that,its more out of concern for the people undertaking these projects!hope ya get it sorted anyway mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Can you double check the gauge of your wire for the lights? You've said that you've run 1sq cable. This should be 1.5 T&E.

For the external lights, as was posted above.

For the lights inside on two switches, you will need to wire the second switch as an intermediary switch. The below diagram should explain how the intermediate works, It doesn't matter if its for two or three switches on it, its the same principle.

three_way_harmonised.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Make sure both switches are two-way as you will need to run what are called strappers between the two switches to control the internals. Use strapper cable or 1.5mm single PVC/PVC for this.

• From your feed, run your neutrals and earths directly to the internal lights.
    • Bring your incoming live into the "1 way" and outgoing live into "common" on switch A and on to the lights.
    • Connect your 1st strapper into "Common" of switch A and into "Common" of switch B.
    • Connect 2nd strapper into "2 way" on switches A and B.
    Repeat without strappers for your external light circuit on the 2 gang switch.

Please make sure you are using 3x2.5mm twin and earth, NYMJ or 2.5mm PVC singles for your socket circuit, and 3x1.5mm twin and earth, NYMJ or PVC singles for your lighting neutrals/earths and 1.5mm PVC/PVC for switch wires and strappers.

• Advertisement

Make sure both switches are two-way as you will need to run what are called strappers between the two switches to control the internals. Use strapper cable or 1.5mm single PVC/PVC for this.

• From your feed, run your neutrals and earths directly to the internal lights.
    • Bring your incoming live into the "1 way" and outgoing live into "common" on switch A and on to the lights.
    • Connect your 1st strapper into "Common" of switch A and into "Common" of switch B.
    • Connect 2nd strapper into "2 way" on switches A and B.
    Repeat without strappers for your external light circuit on the 2 gang switch.

Please make sure you are using 3x2.5mm twin and earth, NYMJ or 2.5mm PVC singles for your socket circuit, and 3x1.5mm twin and earth, NYMJ or PVC singles for your lighting neutrals/earths and 1.5mm PVC/PVC for switch wires and strappers.

Unfortunately I'm farily sure I only have 1.0mm sq wire in place for the lights and as it was a huge job to run them up from existing Fuse/Trip switch unit along attic and down through the cavity I don't think I'll be changing them..........I will double check in any case, if its 1.0mm sq what are the consequences..........

Also can someone tell mean what NYMJ and PVC stands for

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm farily sure I only have 1.0mm sq wire in place for the lights and as it was a
    huge job to run them up from existing Fuse/Trip switch unit along attic and down through the cavity I don't think I'll be changing them..........I will double check in any case, if its 1.0mm sq what are the consequences..........
    The cable can overheat depending on the load.
    Also can someone tell mean what NYMJ and PVC stands for

NYMJ is an industrial standard solid core cable. PVC is solid core single wire. I'm hoping you haven't used flex?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

In my opinion, the 3 posters who have advised the OP have given incorrect information:

Max: The switch wire for the internal lights would come from Switch B (not Switch A).

Fingers: I see no need for an intermediate switch setup - just one 2-way switch is all that's required. Though I'm not sure what your diagram linked to as it's no longer viewable.

civil: Your connections on the 2-way switches are incorrect. Also, there's an important distinction between PVC and PVC/PVC cables. The OP should only use PVC/PVC cables (or 1.5/2.5 T&E).

OP, a second supply for the external lights would be best if it was easily done. If the circuit you've already run is 1.0sq, I'd rip it out and wire the lights in PVC/PVC singles. Are the sockets are wired in 2.5 T&E??

cast_iron wrote: »
    In my opinion, the 3 posters who have advised the OP have given incorrect information:

Max: The switch wire for the internal lights would come from Switch B (not Switch A).

Fingers: I see no need for an intermediate switch setup - just one 2-way switch is all that's required. Though I'm not sure what your diagram linked to as it's no longer viewable.

civil: Your connections on the 2-way switches are incorrect. Also, there's an important distinction between PVC and PVC/PVC cables. The OP should only use PVC/PVC cables (or 1.5/2.5 T&E).

OP, a second supply for the external lights would be best if it was easily done. If the circuit you've already run is 1.0sq, I'd rip it out and wire the lights in PVC/PVC singles. Are the sockets are wired in 2.5 T&E??

I know i'm dragging up an old thread here but many thanks to all for contributions and advice to date. I'm only getting around to completing the wiring now would you believe. I've a couple of more queries if anyone can help out.

Firstly, the wiring I described in the original message is incorrect, I've actually got seperate 1.5mm sq feeds for internal and external lights both coming to point A. The wiring of the external lights to the switch is no problem but to link the switches at A and B to allow the internal lights to be switched on/off at either location is where I'm a bit confused.

I've been told that all I need to do is run a 1.5mm strapper wire (2 brown cables) from A to B and then from B I can run a 1.5mm (live neutral and earth) wire from here to supply the lights. As I will be slabbing the ceiling in the next couple of days these wires will be inaccessable, can anyone out there confirm that what I describe above is all that is required in physical wiring terms to link the switches........

Advertisement