Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Roadbridge are improving the St Clears to Pembroke Dock Road as it happens.

http://www.roadbridge.ie/pdf/projects/roads/A477_LR.pdf

Just checked the distance again, it's actually only 24 miles between St. Clears and Pembroke Dock, using the A477.

This scheme will improve 25% of the road between St. Clears and Pembroke Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Is there a detailed map of this scheme available? Also I presume this is not being constructed under a motorway order, but will be re-designated as one post-construction

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

jd wrote: »
    Sorry guys, is there any specific start-finish point for this project? The more I read the less I know :-D
    Will they me redoing existing road or building new one? I'm asking from restrictions point of view.. Hoping to not see delays on this road during construction works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

iwo wrote: »
    Sorry guys, is there any specific start-finish point for this project? The more I read the less I know :-D
    Will they me redoing existing road or building new one? I'm asking from restrictions point of view.. Hoping to not see delays on this road during construction works.

The road will be built offline (new road) but will traverse the existing road a couple of times, so delays at certain locations along the way might result. Going South, the road will start at the Beehive and will finish at the rugby club North of Arklow. This scheme is due to start in May/June of this year and should be completed in 2014 by my estimation.

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

They had a map in Wicklow Co Co many moons ago - but no copy online. A nice man in the council gave me one (photocopy) which I can no longer find.

Can't see why there isn't a copy online somewhere by now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The road will be built offline (new road) but will traverse the existing road a couple of times, so delays at certain locations along the way might result. Going South, the road will start at the Beehive and will finish at the rugby club North of Arklow. This scheme is due to start in May/June of this year and should be completed in 2014 by my estimation.

Regards!
    Strictly speaking, the northern end will be at the end of DC about a km north of the Beehive.

I saw the map before, and from the fencing on the ground, the Road starts west of the existing road with a junction at the beehive for the Wicklow/Deputy's pass roads; Then it crosses to the east near the Tap and runs east of the graveyard in Barndarrig; and crosses west again south of Barndarrig, before the long straight stretch to Jack Whites. There's another junction near Jack Whites for Brittas bay and Redcross.

The new road crosses east again south of plattenstown and I think it'll merge into the end of the Arklow bypass from the east, but at a gradual angle

All the crossings were fairly oblique, so there's going to be an amount of trafic disruption, but there is to be some parallel road in the latest scheme I saw, to allow the mainline be motorway, maybe if that was built early on traffic could use that.

There were two houses demolished a few years back for it, I dunno if any more need be done, and I'm not sure how the section at the northern end will be done, to allow local accesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

The road will almost certainly be motorway when opened, it'll have an alternative route for its entire length and they are closing off the LILO's at Arklow rugby club.

They only discrepancy is that it'll be narrow median, sandwiching two wide median schemes (Arklow Bypass & Ashford/Rathnew Bypass)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

nordydan wrote: »
    They only discrepancy is that it'll be narrow median, sandwiching two wide median schemes (Arklow Bypass & Ashford/Rathnew Bypass)

Any reasons for this? Cost?

Niles wrote: »

They don't reckon they'll ever need to widen it to six lanes past Wicklow Town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wild Bill wrote: »
    They don't reckon they'll ever need to widen it to six lanes past Wicklow Town.

And I suspect they're probably right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is the cemetery near Lil Doyles being moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Arklow Bypass the oldest of the 3 schemes, built to the old wide median spec. As stated, hopefully never required.

An upgrade to the railway line should supersede any future D3M requirements!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Is the cemetery near Lil Doyles being moved?

Would it need to be though? Not sure that it actually infringes on the new route.
    Arklow Bypass the oldest of the 3 schemes, built to the old wide median spec. As stated, hopefully never required.

Yeah, that's what made wonder. If narrow median is good enough for Rathnew-Arklow it raises the question as to whether or not it was necessary to make the Arklow bypass wide median in the first place. Still, it's not any harm I guess.
    An upgrade to the railway line should supersede any future D3M requirements!

Some chance of that happening... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, that's what made wonder. If narrow median is good enough for Rathnew-Arklow it raises the question as to whether or not it was necessary to make the Arklow bypass wide median in the first place. Still, it's not any harm I guess.

We hadn't "invented" narrow median when it was built. First narrow median scheme was either the runout from the M4 (it wasn't M4 then, is now) at Kinnegad; or the Fermoy bypass I believe.

First one I saw was the Glen of the Downs section of the N11; it had to have it's width minimized due to some mad tree-huggers. :rolleyes:

First one I saw was the Glen of the Downs section of the N11; it had to have it's width minimized due to some mad tree-huggers. :rolleyes:

Yes....I said mad tree-huggers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

No Wild Bill, I'll would not let those tree-huggers (destroyers I'd say) claim a victory. AFAIK, the scheme (that went ahead) through the Glen was a compromise reached via the democratic process where all concerns were considered, including those of an environmental nature. The tree-huggers wanted no road widening through the Glen and suggested a 3 lane contraflow for that section instead - they tried to impose their will and failed. I also remember hearing that the forest walk had to be closed thereafter due to tree damage caused by tunneling on the part of the tree-huggers! :rolleyes:

All I can say to those people is: Thanks a Bunch! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Actually, I was wrong about the route, it passes west of the cemetery.

Google maps shows the line of the route, as it's been fenced off for a fair few years now.

All I can say to those people is: Thanks a Bunch! :mad:

Indeed, and there is now a tight, dangerous entrance/exit from a formerly very popular forest park area - thanks to their nonsense.

It used to be packed with walkers, kids on nature trails and picnickers every week-end - now only suicidal motorists risk visiting it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Interesting points about the narrow median for this scheme, sandwiched between wide-median schemes. Don't see it being an issue, and in fairness Wicklow is a sensitive area to be building roads. With no major city or anything at the end of the N11/M11, 6-laning is unlikely to ever be needed along here.

The comment about the railway line needing work could open a can of worms - I could talk for hours about the various issues here!

Finally, I'm amazed by the pleanala.ie links someone posted upthread - permission granted January 2005. By the time they get underway in June, it'll have been seven and a half years. Their 10-year window nearly expired!

spacetweek wrote: »
    in fairness Wicklow is a sensitive area to be building roads.

Yeah, but the floor of the Glen of the Downs isn't!

That was pure baloney :mad:

One thing I noticed in the planning decision is reference to an entrance to Coillte property. I guess it will be a LILO ??!!?

an entrance to Coillte property

Off a motorway? :confused:

Off a motorway? :confused:

It's not under a motorway order...
    Junctions and Grade Separated Interchanges
    The junction strategy restricts access to the dual carriageway to the junctions
    described below. These junctions provide linkage between the N11 Rathnew to
    Arklow Road Improvement and the local road network. The strategy reduces the
    number of traffic conflict points to enhance the safety of road users. All other
    local roads are grade separated from the dual carriageway or realigned and do
    not have direct access to it. Similarly direct private access shall not be permitted
    to the dual carriageway with the exception of a single left on/left off gated priority
    junction access to forest land owned by Coillte. Access to private properties has
    been maintained from the local road network and by the provision of
    accommodation roads and underpasses.
    The proposed junctions on the dual carriageway are therefore restricted to the
    following locations:
    o grade separated interchange west of Jack White’s Cross Roads
    o grade separated interchange west of the Beehive junction
    o left on/left off gated priority junction access to Coillte lands at Chainage
    12+550

But we all know this will be a motorway! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

It's not under a motorway order...

It sits between two sections of motorway, and it's going to be built to a motorway grade, so I'd say it's pretty likely to be a motorway on opening.

It sits between two sections of motorway, and it's going to be built to a motorway grade, so I'd say it's pretty likely to be a motorway on opening.

Yep, if it walks, talks and waddles like a duck........:cool:

But we all know this will be a motorway! :rolleyes:

Oh I Agree, I wonder what they'll do about this LILO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Who is the contractor? And have any local people been offered employment during construction?

Advertisement