Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

lottpaul wrote: »
    The new overbridge, roundabouts etc between Barndarrig and Jack Whites is to open this coming weekend I'm told. Shouldn't have too much effect on traffic if it runs as smoothly as the Scratnagh bridge did a few weeks ago. There will also be access from this bridge to the minor road to Brittas Bay, a route used by a lot of locals, which has been closed for almost 2 years? Perhaps more.

Which junction will Brittas Bay be signposted from do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

spacetweek wrote: »

dont know, I presume , the first one at the beehive ???

The lighting is only at the 2 junctions.
    The bridge can be put in service in an afternoon, like happened at the bridge at DTE in Scratenagh.

The M8 Mitchelstown got entirely built in 17 months, I doubt there was 3.5 months dotting i's and crossing t's there.

I hope Im wrong , i live in Gorey and commute in daily !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

junction 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Brittas will be signposted from the junction at Jack Whites. (I'd take vickers209s word for the numbers)
    The road at the new bridge will only be of use for local traffic on the old N11, whatever that will be called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

lottpaul wrote: »
    Brittas will be signposted from the junction at Jack Whites. (I'd take vickers209s word for the numbers)
    The road at the new bridge will only be of use for local traffic on the old N11, whatever that will be called.

current N11 will be R772

the road off thenew bridge townland is ballyclough

vickers209 wrote: »
    current N11 will be R772

the road off thenew bridge townland is ballyclough

funny isn't it that all the N routes get downgraded to R and 80K. I suspect its a scam to reduce the cost of the Co CO maintaining an N route

cant see why it doesn't remain n11 and then we have N11 and M11

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

BoatMad wrote: »
    funny isn't it that all the N routes get downgraded to R and 80K. I suspect its a scam to reduce the cost of the Co CO maintaining an N route

The county councils don't maintain the N routes, the NRA do. Therefore the new R road is an extra road for the county councils to maintain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That's down to the discretion of the county council. They have the power to change the limits back to 100kph, but many of them don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The N11 will be the new road legally. the bits under motorway regulations will be M11 in addition. Legally there will is a N50, but *all* of it is motorway so it's usually referred to as the M50. So you can't have an Mx and a parallel Nx

The N11 will be the new road legally. the bits under motorway regulations will be M11 in addition. Legally there will is a N50, but *all* of it is motorway so it's usually referred to as the M50. So you can't have an Mx and a parallel Nx
    Rather silly, in the UK when they build motorways, the existing A road retain the "A", even if the motorway runs parallel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rather silly, in the UK when they build motorways, the existing A road retain the "A", even if the motorway runs parallel to it.

Not always.

Their Mx roads are completely new roads often not matching the Ax number. They also have motorway regulations A roads with Ax(M) numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

A confusing system that I don't like. You end up with all sorts of stuff, like different roads called:

A10
    M10
    A10 (M)

CBRD has a very good article explaining how it all works.
    http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/road-numbers/

But he acknowledges that the Scottish road numbering system (which works like the Irish one) is a much neater way of numbering roads.
    http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/road-numbers/motorways.shtml#scotland

Also the England and Wales system only works because they have completely separate sets of numbers for motorway and non-motorway roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Looks like the Kilmurray over bridge will be operational tonight. Stop go system currently in place

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Subpopulus wrote: »
    A confusing system that I don't like. You end up with all sorts of stuff, like different roads called:

A10
    M10
    A10 (M)

CBRD has a very good article explaining how it all works.
    http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/road-numbers/

But he acknowledges that the Scottish road numbering system (which works like the Irish one) is a much neater way of numbering roads.
    http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/road-numbers/motorways.shtml#scotland

Also the England and Wales system only works because they have completely separate sets of numbers for motorway and non-motorway roads.

The M1 was called the M1 because it was the first motorway to be built. It should have carried the designation M5. The A1 was the road from London to Edinburgh and beyond, the A2 was London to Dover, and so on clockwise. The A5 was from London to Holyhead. Having started wrongly, they had to continue. Hence the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Looks like the Kilmurray over bridge will be operational tonight. Stop go system currently in place

Was only thinking this evening as I passed by it that it looked almost finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

When I passed at 10, the stop go was in operation where the mainline crossed the existing road. There was activity at the bridge a few hundred metres back, but the traffic wasn't restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

I passed through there at 2330 the bridge was fully operational. There was a stop/go in place for line painting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Not always. The A1 has sections which are motorway and sections which are non-motorway. The motorway sections are numbered A1 (M). The non-motorway sections are numbered A1. Old sections of the A1 which have been replaced by newer sections, either dual-carriageway or motorway, have been renumbered, e.g. A167.

The system in Scotland is similar to Ireland, with the exception of a part of the Glasgow - Scottish/English border motorway.

For example primary route 90 has some motorway sections. These are numbered M90. Non-motorway sections are numbered A90. Older road sections which have been replaced by motorway sections have been renumbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Buckmark1 wrote: »
    I passed through there at 2330 the bridge was fully operational. There was a stop/go in place for line painting

Hopefully everything stays 'flowing'.

The next major change will be entering the northbound carriageway from the Beehive overpass and slip road, probably later this month.

Not sure what the plan is at the southbound end near Arklow.

PoolDude wrote: »
    Hopefully everything stays 'flowing'.

The next major change will be entering the northbound carriageway from the Beehive overpass and slip road, probably later this month.

Not sure what the plan is at the southbound end near Arklow.

The south end looks like it could be completed without and further traffic changes. There is enough of the old dualway carriageway exposed to meet the new.

A friend of a friend who is supposedly a PM on the job said they expect the road to be finished by end June assuming current progress.

Supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

The latest alignment changes are now updated on OpenStreetMap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Wouldn't call it a scam, it's meant to be like that. In a small country like this you wouldn't need both, the UK has a huge population, big economy etc.

Wouldn't call it a scam, it's meant to be like that. In a small country like this you wouldn't need both, the UK has a huge population, big economy etc.

How would it be a national route to have traffic going through Arklow town, Rathnew, Ashford, around the green lizard bends and through Little Bray?

I dont think this is the case, we do have "N" for High Qualty Dual carriageway, , which can then be upgraded to motorway

The roads act 1993 specifically created motorways as existing under special regulations , the key being the ban on uncontrolled access and they are subject to a more stringent planning process these are designated Mxx by the NRA ( note the acts don't specifically specify "N",M" or "R" as a prefix,)

The 2007 amendment act , then allows a minister to re-designate a HQDC to motorway, the primary purpose is to prevent uncontrolled access been given and it also avoids the more complex motorway planning process.

M roads are correct legal designations for sections of a road under motorway rules and restrictions.

You can of course have a Nx and a Mx in parallel, its just that is hasn't been done in ireland as I suspect because we still have Nxx, HQDC etc acting as feeders to Mxx and having another section designated Nxx would cause confusion

si 209/1994

We have the N2 in parallel with the M1 up to Ardee... but thats way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

You can of course have a Nx and a Mx in parallel, its just that is hasn't been done in ireland as I suspect because we still have Nxx, HQDC etc acting as feeders to Mxx and having another section designated Nxx would cause confusion

I don't think you can. The M11 is the N11 in legal terms, but a section of the N11 under motorway regulations.

The only disadvantage of the present system is that bypassed towns are connected only by regional roads, and it is sometimes difficult to see what is the main approach to the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think you can. The M11 is the N11 in legal terms, but a section of the N11 under motorway regulations.

It would have to be another N road entirely.

Advertisement