Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

"The final single lane stretch of the Wexford to Dublin route?"

Erm....
    They mean "The final single lane stretch of the Wexford to Dublin route " ... in Wicklow.

You couldn't expect The Wicklow People to give a sh1te about anywhere else now, could you? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Anyone wanna take photos of the tie ins progress???...

It's tantalisingly close at this stage!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Anyone wanna take photos of the tie ins progress???...

It's tantalisingly close at this stage!!!!!!

I'm out misses is in slow labour expecting our first born any day now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Was it only me or was there feck all warning that the single lane at the northern tie in had been brought back by 2km today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I normally try grab a few photos from the lofty perch of my chauffeur driven carriage I.e. bus eireann however the bus doesnt get close enough to capture anything of note.

From what I can tell there is no work happening directly at the arklow tie in end. From what I can tell there are constructing a minor road from the rugby club, past dempseys timber. I presume this is to divert on to to allow them free access at the tie in.

The rathnew end is similar with a road immediately to the left beside the old n11 approaching bee hive. Again I presume that is to push traffic to the left, freeing up the old n11 for construction and creating that last lane of the motorway.

Only other thing I noted today was the creation of some raised lay bys. I guess For guards and speed vans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

vickers209 wrote: »
    I'm out misses is in slow labour expecting our first born any day now

That's great news. I hope all goes well with the birth and wish you and yours all the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ITDept wrote: »
    That's great news. I hope all goes well with the birth and wish you and yours all the best :)

Could be the first citizen to never suffer the Wicklow Gap, depending how long the labour takes and whether any trips north/south as applicable are taken...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

From what I can tell there is no work happening directly at the arklow tie in end. From what I can tell there are constructing a minor road from the rugby club, past dempseys timber. I presume this is to divert on to to allow them free access at the tie in.

Also the Lilos near the rugby club will be closed off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Will Plastic Donoghue, Howlin or will it be down the chairman to open the road. If the chairman opens it, will mean we are close to a GE.

Will Plastic Donoghue, Howlin or will it be down the chairman to open the road. If the chairman opens it, will mean we are close to a GE.

We know we're close to a GE. Because budget changes don't take place til January they'd be nuts to have it before February.

Howlin will be there regardless of who else is, I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

There is a lot of work to be completed on both tie-ins still. Hope its opened before the August bank holiday weekend.

Noticed today going over the flyover at the Beehive and looking south that a section of tarmac had been replaced. It had road markings last week, about 50 meters I'd guess. There must have been some subsidence in the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

There is a lot of work to be completed on both tie-ins still. Hope its opened before the August bank holiday weekend.

Noticed today going over the flyover at the Beehive and looking south that a section of tarmac had been replaced. It had road markings last week, about 50 meters I'd guess. There must have been some subsidence in the road.

that is the top surface they are putting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

that is the top surface they are putting on.

Nope, definitely replaced surface. Looking south, northbound lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

The Wicklow People wouldn't be known for its journalistic accuracy!

Anyway, if mid July is right, it's hard to believe that in four weeeks time we could have a completed motorway. When he get to use said motorway might be a different question.

The Wicklow People is going to have its big scoop then.

No baby yet.:(
    A friend got a birthday present of a helicopter ride today out of newcastle he posted these on facebook from around the beehive

11301538_10153027238998613_330253613_n.jpg?oh=7213f235e53554adce3a24aacf890881&oe=5582E4FC

11328950_10153027238978613_956380384_n.jpg?oh=c40b762c21211a854b103e7375a9ee0b&oe=55834F2E

11429895_10153027238933613_892296176_n.jpg?oh=6731883fb6f83d90ebd73077de1c96ed&oe=558359EC

11118451_10153027238883613_322063485_n.jpg?oh=7fd9772f3275ee3540a26ee44763c658&oe=55833092

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Slip road joining local road as a T-junction?
    :confused:

Couldn't they extend it it to the roundabout and make it five-way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've been wondering the very same thing. Cannot understand how they didn't join it up to the roundabout.

There would have been issues with the closeness of the ports on the roundabout I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Geogregor wrote: »
    Slip road joining local road as a T-junction?
    :confused:

Couldn't they extend it it to the roundabout and make it five-way?

It's not going to be a particularly busy junction, I guess they thought it was good enough.

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's not going to be a particularly busy junction, I guess they thought it was good enough.

Actually I wanted to ask how busy it is going to be.

It might work if it is quiet location but still it is a strange solution.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    There would have been issues with the closeness of the ports on the roundabout I imagine.

Then. they could make it larger, there seems to be space.

I could be mistaken, but I remember talking to a developer about the roundabout coming off the m11 to Rathnew and Wicklow, and he was ranting about the fact there was not a bigger roundabout and another exit off it to by-pass Rathnew and go straight to Wicklow.
    He said however, that the problem was not the size, but some regulation that stipulates that there can only be 3 exits from the point of entry on to the roundabout, and this has tied the council's hands a little in regard to direct access to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It only really serves the Beehive and surrounding rural locations. It sort of serves Wicklow Town but so do Junctions 16 and 17 - in fact it's debatable whether this junction is needed at all, the Beehive area will be easily accessible from J17 once the scheme is complete. Far too many junctions on the M/N11 in general, a result of the piecemeal way it has been upgraded.

loyatemu wrote: »
    It only really serves the Beehive and surrounding rural locations. It sort of serves Wicklow Town but so do Junctions 16 and 17 - in fact it's debatable whether this junction is needed at all, the Beehive area will be easily accessible from J17 once the scheme is complete. Far too many junctions on the M/N11 in general, a result of the piecemeal way it has been upgraded.

I agree that there are far too many junctions, but this stretch only adds 2 for 16/17 km. The n11 from Bray to coynes cross is where the piecemeal low quality n11 was developed and too much access was given and not access that was of motorway standard. This makes it very very challenging to upgrade in future. New standards came in too late for this section.

However, your point about the necessity of this junction I would not agree with. Wicklow is developing fast, and will develop a lot towards the west and south, and this junction will be more and more necessary. An example of forward thinking I guess. :)

Then. they could make it larger, there seems to be space.

Cost/benefit wouldn't add up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Kind of similar to this near Kilcullen?
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.121293,-6.7559828,645m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Or this junction on the M8.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.9532563,-8.3968134,15z?hl=en

This junction is this way tho as the motorway (then dual carraigeway) ended at J18. J17-J18 (Watergrasshill bypass) wasn't constructed for another 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I agree that Jn17 & 18 seems a little redundant. I would think though that 17 will be the least used of 16, 17 & 18 when it's all complete. Since the roundabout was designed specifically for this build it cant be why the entrance slip isn't on it. Even if 18 isn't that busy I cant understand why you'd build a new motorway with such a crap entrance slip. If Ireland recovers and wicklow expands...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭josip

Many Irish people struggle with roundabouts that deviate in any way from a 3,6,9,12 o'clock configuration. Maybe a 5 exit roundabout was too high risk?

• Advertisement

What I don't understand is why is there no exit off at the beehive heading southbound.
    junction 17 is too far back to meet the old road at delehunts.

Is it a case there will be a slip road off the new m11 onto the old road and up to the beehive like the current newtown juction exit 13.

if this is the case then junction 17 on ramp will be very close to junction 18 off ramp less than 1km
    maybe it will be a auxiliary lane like on the m50 between junctions or bray north heading southbound

Advertisement