Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭veryangryman

josip wrote: »
    Many Irish people struggle with roundabouts that deviate in any way from a 3,6,9,12 o'clock configuration. Maybe a 5 exit roundabout was too high risk?

Keep it holy (and travel around the world a bit more), we are above average for driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Noticed today going over the flyover at the Beehive and looking south that a section of tarmac had been replaced. It had road markings last week, about 50 meters I'd guess. There must have been some subsidence in the road.

If you zoom in on picture 4 you can see the patch replaced on the southbound lane it seems to be where the old road to cool beg crossed over

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

Keep it holy (and travel around the world a bit more), we are above average for driving.

Thanks for the OT advice and while I may not be the most traveled on here, I'm happy with the amount of experience I have of driving in other countries.

My comment was about a roundabout in Ireland, that will be predominantly used by Irish drivers. Based on my daily experience of roundabout usage in Ireland, there are many Irish drivers that struggle with the basics. A 4 exit roundabout will cause less confusion in my opinion than a 5 exit one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

vickers209 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why is there no exit off at the beehive heading southbound.
    junction 17 is too far back to meet the old road at delehunts.

Is it a case there will be a slip road off the new m11 onto the old road and up to the beehive like the current newtown juction exit 13.

if this is the case then junction 17 on ramp will be very close to junction 18 off ramp less than 1km
    maybe it will be a auxiliary lane like on the m50 between junctions or bray north heading southbound

there's a map here, but it's not entirely clear how the slips for 17 & 18 will line up as the map doesn't show 17. I would assume there will be a distributor road between the 2 junctions to extend the R772, in which case there's no real need for an extra southbound off-ramp; but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's a new distributor road going west of the new M11 from the Beehive to the rocky road junction, for non motorway traffic, which will cross the existing M11 at J17 and down Rathnew hill.
    You can see it in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95906538&postcount=1306 past the 2nd roundabout

• Advertisement

There's a new distributor road going west of the new M11 from the Beehive to the rocky road junction, for non motorway traffic, which will cross the existing M11 at J17 and down Rathnew hill.
    You can see it in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95906538&postcount=1306 past the 2nd roundabout

I thought the same at first but I went on that road to the west taking photos recently it's not fit for through traffic in the middle it's only 1 lane wide and has gates across it so I would say it a road for farm access only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I thought the same at first but I went on that road to the west taking photos recently it's not fit for through traffic in the middle it's only 1 lane wide and has gates across it so I would say it a road for farm access only

I agree - I drove down there on an OpenStreetMap survey to get a feel for how that parallel road will end up once finished. Everything I can see suggests that it will not be a through road (it does look like it will be continuous, but I think the middle part may be private property).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

So I'm still trying to figure out what route the R772 at the north end here will take given it will be motorway from Coyne's Cross to south of Gorey

jd wrote: »
    So I'm still trying to figure out what route the R772 at the north end here will take given it will be motorway from Coyne's Cross to south of Gorey

Ya same here I think the only other option is into wicklow and up Marlton road or right past rathnew graveyard and up the port road to the Marlton road out to the beehive.

The fact that the sign in the new section of motorway has the current R772 numbered as L1100 would suggest that the current R772 out of rathnew will be renumbered L1100.

That's just my thinking have no facts to back this up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

Has it actually been confirmed that the new road will be a motorway and not just a 100kph dual carrigeway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

It was confirmed in November by the NRA...

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    It was confirmed in November by the NRA...

Ok, cheers, wasn't sure if it was official.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

jvan wrote: »
    Has it actually been confirmed that the new road will be a motorway and not just a 100kph dual carrigeway.
    The blue signage on the road confirms this too.

marno21 wrote: »
    The blue signage on the road confirms this too.

Haven't been down that way for a few weeks, was just starting to wondering with the talk off no obvious alternate route on the northern end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Geogregor wrote: »
    Slip road joining local road as a T-junction?
    :confused:

To be fair the slip road is leaving a regional road; not joining a local road.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

marno21 wrote: »
    Or this junction on the M8.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.9532563,-8.3968134,15z?hl=en

This junction is this way tho as the motorway (then dual carraigeway) ended at J18. J17-J18 (Watergrasshill bypass) wasn't constructed for another 10 years.

Wow, that looks bad. It looks to me as there is high risk of someone driving wrong way up the motorway. Only one small sign indicating "no entry".
    In many countries they put bigger and more visible signs indicating exit from the motorway. Especially such unassuming one, a bit off from the mainline. On google SV it almost looks like some local road and invites to turn there.
    I know in Austria they had flashy "no entry" signs on motorway slip roads. Polish road authority is now also upgrading signage on some junctions after few incidents of people driving the wrong way.
    josip wrote: »
    Many Irish people struggle with roundabouts that deviate in any way from a 3,6,9,12 o'clock configuration. Maybe a 5 exit roundabout was too high risk?
    What is the difference how many exit roundabout has? You turn left once you enter and give priority to the guy on the right already on the roundabout. Much simpler then confusing layout with right turn few meters after the roundabout.
    And Irish are not bad drivers. I actually really enjoy driving in Ireland.

BTW, it might be quiet junction now but when it get busier or in some unusual circumstances (diversion etc) cars turning right onto the motorway slip road might bloc the local road all the way to the roundabout. It is not that far from it.
    To be fair the slip road is leaving a regional road; not joining a local road.
    At least that make it safer from the junction on the M8 on top of my post.

Did a bit of digging around, does this set up make sense to anyone who has been around the northern works recently.

http://www.nra.ie/press-releases/n11-public-consultation/N11_NorthernEnd_V2.png

Ah something like this. Roundabout north of Beehive, and with an underbridge

352377.png

Is it a case there will be a slip road off the new m11 onto the old road and up to the beehive like the current newtown juction exit 13.
    Is this the slip off you are looking for?

352380.png

jd wrote: »
    Is this the slip off you are looking for?

Yes seems to be the slip road but 17 and 18 will be very close to each other

i cant see it being a under-bridge for the regional road as the new motorway is quiet low and there no visible works under the new road nor for an over bridge but its an interesting map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are they going to use the underpass at Armstrongs perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I was just thinking about this debate around having no more than 4 exits/entrances from a roundabout off a motorway and there is one example of a 5 exit/entrance that I've used many a time - M20 J2 (I think):
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6305883,-8.6331689,17z?hl=en

Here's a 6 and a 5 right beside each other:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6464891,-8.6687202,16z?hl=en

Limerick's frickin' awesome for roundabouts!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Are they going to use the underpass at Armstrongs perhaps?

I Don't think they can coz there doesn't appear to have been much land CpO'd that side and there is a house just before it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this debate around having no more than 4 exits/entrances from a roundabout off a motorway and there is one example of a 5 exit/entrance that I've used many a time - M20 J2 (I think):

That roundabout isn't an example to follow tho. When building the Southern Ring Road Phase II instead of building a proper junction they just decided to throw all the traffic onto 2 roundabouts and take the "it'll be grand" attitude.

Well, it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

In late June early July north and southbound traffic shall be diverted at Junction 20 (Arklow North) onto the R772 to facilitate the tie in of the new and old motorways and the upgrade of the section from Junction 20 north to the new Works (signs, line marking, studs etc.). It is anticipated that this will take one to two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

That R772 detour road around arklow rugbyclub is progressing nicely. All cut out and defined and hard-core down.

Also if I recall, there was a pile of rubble and junk at the join of the tie in at the arklow end. This has all been cleared so end June early July looks very reasonable for the final works there to take place.

Seems to be a lot of work to go at the rathnew end on the new diversion/slip road. Hard-core down in some places but in others the boundaries of the road aren't even identifiable, Pipes being laid still etc

And that's all before work starts on creating the final lane of the southbound tie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

MMFITWGDV wrote: »

I drove the length of the works last night for the first time in ages and noticed at Jack Whites they've got the roundabout and slips on/off south bound right. There's 5 or 6 on that with no problem so really dont get why they couldn't do it properly at the Beehive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Journal article Minister Paschal Donohoe confirming that the m11 will open in the next few weeks

http://jrnl.ie/2172283

Advertisement